Pre-Match Thread

Ouchmefoot

I don't think we will lose by a big margin like many are predicting, in fact if we can get back to the form we showed before the Bournemouth game and City have an off day we might even have a chance of sneaking a win. all these teams have gotten results against Man CIty this season... Tottenham, Man Utd, Palace, Wolves, Newcastle, Liverpool, Atalanta, and Norwich... so no reason why we can't give them a good game.

Yes from the final whistle at Watford up to the first whistle at Bournemouth we looked a decent team who could get results, were difficult to score past and could raise our game v quality team (Leicester).

In that period Man. City still smashed us on our home ground.

I think the problem is players will be hyped up to believe they can get a result at kick off, first five minutes we'll be snapping into tackles and might have the odd decent attack. Then Man. City will put one move together that will completely cut through our midfield and defence.

Even if they don't score from that I can see us going into our shells and retreating to our 18 yard box.

Just can't see us having the mentality to win this which will need ultra discipline and also taking the odd chance that comes our way.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Like 99.9% of us, I would gladly swap a win on Saturday for 14 league points and safety, but that's not on offer. Manchester City have done the double over us already this season and have scored 9 goals, in doing so. To say that, this is not going to be easy, is therefore a bit of an underestimation. The bookmakers, pundits and pretty much everyone else, have already engraved our opponents name on the trophy. Those Manchester City fans who do decide to turn up, that have not as yet become so blasé about domestic cup finals, that they don't bother to go to them, will do so expecting to win at a canter. Their fans also expected the same in 2013, when Wigan lifted the FA Cup, that had seemed to be bound for City's trophy cabinet, before that cup final. Lightning couldn't strike twice in 7 years at Wembley, could it? 

We have met Manchester City three times in this cup competition. We have won twice (4-2 in 2012 & 3-0 in 1984) and have lost once (0-1 in 2000). We have won the trophy 5 times (in 1961, 1975, 1977, 1994 & 1996) and have been beaten finalists three times (in 1963, 1971 & 2010). Our opponents have won this trophy 6 times (in 1970, 1976, 2014, 2016, 2018 & 2019) and were beaten finalists in 1974. A win for our opponents would see them lift the trophy for a third year on the trot, we ourselves are not infrequent visitors to Wembley of late, having made 5 visits since 2015. We are the top scorer's in this season's competition with 19 goals so far, our opponent's have scored 12 times. Just win it for us Villa! Failing that, give us 110%, give us something to shout about and make Citeh know that they've been in one hell of a game...:hooray:    

• Like 3

I think the sensible thing to do would be to play the kids like Liverpool do, and then when they take an expected hammering, we can say, ``Well, they did not beat our first team, which we need to conserve for the League.''  😄

Forgot the smiley face. Thought it was an obvious joke. My family don't get my jokes either.

Note to self. Remember the smiley.

Edited by AntrimBlack

I've never felt so hopeless before matches than I do when we play City and it's been like this for a decade now pretty much. I hate it. I should be looking forward to a cup final, but I'm absolutely dreading it because I know for certain we'll lose and quite likely very heavily :( 

• Like 2

I'm actually looking forward to the day, the football is likely to end badly but hopefully Saturday's performance will really fire some of our players up.

We all know that Grealish will produce some magic, it's just all on how many other players turn up for him to play with.

Even if we lose 3-0 or 4-0 but give it a good go I'll go home pleased. All we want is for the players to give it their all.

For me Smith has to change the tactics, the wingers are not effective at the moment and the gaps in the midfield create a whole world of problems. We lost the midfield to City at Villa Park, and having Grealish out wide was a complete waste of our best player, he has to be in the middle to carry the ball out wherever possible and bring Samatta into the game.

Nyland

Konsa  Engels  Mings

Guilbert     Nakamba        Targett

Luiz     Grealish   Hourihane

Samatta

Engels and Nakamba to hold the centre of the pitch, Mings and Konsa provide the pace to mop up out wide and in behind.

Guilbert and Targett to provide the width.

Luiz, Grealish and Hourihane combine to get back and defend and get forward to help out Samatta.

Edited by wilko154
  • Like 1

I am sure I will be excited come the day but right now I am so much more worried about the league that this cup feels like an opportunity for injuries/ a moral breaking hammering than anything positive. If we win of course maybe it would help our confidence but I am really struggling to see how.

I do think Smith should play the players who got us to the final, thats a positive that IS within out control and they should be rewarded. If thats the second stringers then so be it.  So Elmo/ Nyland should start if fit for sure.

We are likely going to get hammered anyway, may as well show some loyalty and earn the players respect by our selection.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

I think pep will completely nullify Jack, it'll be a game for the haters to feast on and declare him not good enough when I'm reality city build their whole defensive game plan around him and double / triple up on him

As a result its a huge game for the midfield 2, probably Luiz, he should get a little more time and space, got to use it

Unfortunately he wont, like most games we'll lose this game in the centre of midfield 

Think the back 3 all dropping off to cover aguero giving de Bruyne acres to work in will be painful too, one of them has to step out if he gets the ball past Nakamba 

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I think pep will completely nullify Jack, it'll be a game for the haters to feast on and declare him not good enough when I'm reality city build their whole defensive game plan around him and double / triple up on him

As a result its a huge game for the midfield 2, probably Luiz, he should get a little more time and space, got to use it

Unfortunately he wont, like most games we'll lose this game in the centre of midfield 

Think the back 3 all dropping off to cover aguero giving de Bruyne acres to work in will be painful too, one of them has to step out if he gets the ball past Nakamba 

This game has this written all over it, most we can hope for is if citeh get a couple early yellows. A couple of goals for De Bruyne definately on the cards.

I will take a bit of interest in who gets picked for Man City on Wednesday away to Real Madrid - that game is far more important to City surely? 

however I think we’ll still see a strong City line-up but with the likes of KDB, Aguerro on the bench and Mahrez, Jesus etc starting. 

I just don’t want a humiliating result for us. I’m also mindful that small heath once fluked a win in the final and then went down too... so there’s two outcomes I don’t want :D 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I'd be shocked if this were not the case. Time for the other attackers to stand up here with the extra space afforded!

It's a free hit with very little expectation.  I want to see a team bursting with motivation and up for the fight.  I want to see a desire to win every single ball.  Every loose pass, every 50-50.  I want no shrinking violets and no passengers.  If we lose we lose, but stranger things have happened and I don't want them defeated walking out onto the pitch, or heads dropping as soon as the first thing doesn't go our way.  These days don't come around that often, so if we **** it away cheaply then they're a disgrace.  But I'm sure they won't be.  Reina, Mings, Targett & Jack should do enough motivating to keep everyone focussed.  We need massive games from everyone.  Come on lads, we can do this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I will just reiterate what I said in both our league fixtures against this lot and that is to make things as difficult as possible for them, not gift them stupid goals, keep the ball when we have it, try to do ourselves proud and what will be, will be.

At the Etihad we did this for 45 minutes then conceded a silly goal and that was that, but by no means was it the worst performance we have seen this season, however the game at VP we let ourselves down with some really sloppy defending which if we do at Wembley on Sunday it could be carnage!

Regardless what side / formation we put out this is going to be extremely difficult, I just hope we can go out there and not embarrass our great club's great name and hopefully the players have more belief than we, the fans have.

Let's face it, they have class players all over the park regardless which eleven start the game, however if there is a chink in their armour then you would probably say it is defensively therefore I think we have to take the game to them (when we can) because we just haven't got the personnel or manager to "park the bus".

I personally would switch back to a back four (as we played in the away league game) and try to compact the midfield as much as possible to solidify areas in front of our defence. Grealish is obviously our main man and their main concern and I would get him playing centrally and just say to him go out there, try get on the ball, get stuck in, run at them, draw fouls and show them why you could easily play in the light blue of City in the next season or two. I would play Nyland over Reina, we can't forget his heroics in the semi final(s) are the reason we are looking forward to this Cup final. I would be tempted to start with Elmo over Guilbert because I feel is experience could be invaluable for this one, slowing the game down and has more big game experience. Hourihane in for his set plays and my other main selection choice would be to start with Davis (subject to fitness), it is essential that the ball "sticks" up top and he is the best man we have for that role. He did well at the Etihad when he came (basically got Fernandinho sent off and went close to netting a consolation in his brief cameo).

With the ball I would like us to look like this;

Nyland 

Elmo         Engels               Mings          Targett

Luiz    Nakamba   Hourihane 

El Ghazi Grealish 

Davis

But when City are in possession (which no doubt will be an awful lot);

Same back 5

El Ghazi         Luiz       Grealish         Nakamba        Hourihane

Davis

Subs; Reina, Guilbert, Hause, Konsa, Lansbury, Trezeguet, Samatta.

• Like 1