Pre-Match Thread

Ouchmefoot

Today changes nothing for me with regards to this game. Gonna be honest I pretty much wrote it off as soon as City beat United. Obviously it's not a good attitude and if the players have it we'll have zero chance, but against a team like City with the team we have now it's just a tiny sliver of a chance and that's it.

At least if we do lose I'll probably be less disappointed than I was in 2010 or 2015.

I saw an Avengers gif a few posts back. Funnily enough, a statistic from Dr Strange came to my head as I left St Mary's today - we also probably have about 1 chance in 14,000,605 scenarios. And we have no Tony Stark.

Team? Makes little difference who we assemble in this end game! Personally I'd go;

Nyland

Konsa Mings Engels

Guilbert (if fit?)                       Targett

ElGhazi Nakamba Hourihane

Grealish

Samatta

Won't make any difference though. If McGinn is able to even walk by Sunday I'd be getting him on bench, morale lift and all that. ElGhazi gets nod purely due to lack of options and hope that he could score with his back again! All defenders instructed to release ball immediately and not attempt too many passes - hence why Hause doesn't feature! Nyland can prove No.1 should be his (Reina's great saves today all came from his mistakes). Luiz way too chilled/lazy/incompetent to start. Alternatively, go to a flat back four, drop Konsa and play Baston as a wildcard and actually have two strikers on the pitch. To be fair, he made intelligent runs today but sharpness a bit lacking!

Think, as people have said above, records could be crushed though. Heaviest defeat in any final?

Geez I was pumped for this final, but the last couple of weeks it's all gone tits up..... I'm questioning whether a day off work, an upset Mrs and the expense of getting myself into the city in the middle of the night is worth it. I might be showing more commitment than some of players.

I knew this season would be tough but if we get toweled up in the final, any remaining confidence and good vibes will be gone..

We are running out of winnable games and don't play like a team that could cause an upset against the better teams.

😥

I think we should consider going back to a flat back 4 for this match, I don’t think the back 3 is working. Our defence looked the most stable at the beginning of the season with Nakamba screening. I am expecting a defeat in this match due to the sheer quality that Manchester City have. My side for this match would be: 

Reina

Guilbert Engels Mings Targett 

Nakamba Luiz Drinkwater

El Ghazi Samatta Grealish

Subs: Nyland, Elmohamady, Taylor, Konsa, Hourihane, Trezeguet, Baston

I wish McGinn was back for this match, if he was I’d drop Luiz to the bench and play McGinn

53 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think we should consider going back to a flat back 4 for this match, I don’t think the back 3 is working. Our defence looked the most stable at the beginning of the season with Nakamba screening. I am expecting a defeat in this match due to the sheer quality that Manchester City have. My side for this match would be: 

Reina

Guilbert Engels Mings Targett 

Nakamba Luiz Drinkwater

El Ghazi Samatta Grealish

Subs: Nyland, Elmohamady, Taylor, Konsa, Hourihane, Trezeguet, Baston

I wish McGinn was back for this match, if he was I’d drop Luiz to the bench and play McGinn

Elmo for AEG and Louis Barry or Vassilev on bench.

6-0 City.

May stay away from this game. I know exactly what is coming and it won't be pleasant.

...................Nyland..................

Elmo......Engels.Mings......Targett

...................Nakamba.Luiz............

..........................Hourihane..................

El Ghazi............Samatta............Jack

Edited by villalad21

Much though I'd love to see Villa lift the cup, I would trade a 0-10 drubbing for three points in the next league game without hesitation. As for McGinn, we shouldn't want him anywhere near that game. Priority has to be to get him ready for the next league game and I'd rather he continued his training than risk injury at Wembley.

• Like 2

When we beat Man United to win the league cup in the 90's we did that after losing 3 league games on the trot.

However, saying that, our team that season was a lot better than the current dross we have and had some real warriors in the side.

Expecting us to get well beaten by 4 or 5 goals!. UTV.

• Like 1

Nyland

Elmo        Engels           Mings     Taylor

Guilbert  Nakamba    Luiz          Targett

Jack

Samatta

I'd probably pick a team something like that. Putting Taylor into the team is madness but so is putting in El Ghazi or Hassan. No point risking SJM either, he's needed for the league.

If it's possible to play two goal keepers I'd drop Taylor for Reina. 

Edited by villa89

Being as we have lost 3 in a row, same as 94, perhaps we should throw in a total unknown, a la Graham Fenton.

Return of back 4. Hause stays as more pace than Engels.

Nyland

Targett Hause Mings Elmo

G Fenton Jack Nakamba Luiz       Maradona

Samatta 

I guess I have no idea how to resolve our midfield balance.

• Haha 1

Even if somehow we manage a fluke win at Wembley I'm struggling to see how I could even celebrate knowing that barring a miracle we are going down again. Villa have yet again managed to kill my passion for the game.

21 hours ago, His Name Is Death said:

How much do we measure up to City right now? Let me put this in visual form...

spacer.png

You can't see the Villa players.

The Titan summon from FFXV. Interesting choice. I think Adamantoise may have been more apt. 

SilverAdoredAlbacoretuna-max-1mb.gif

Battling a literal mountain. However all is not lost. If Jack has the Ring of Lucii equipped... 

I think we need to go back to 4 at the back with two sitting midfielders. I think I'd go with this. 

Reina

Elmo Engels Mings Targett

Marv Luiz Hourihane

Grealish

Samatta Davis (if not for Baston) 

I think we will need legs in midfield and we need an out ball so a Davis/ Baston type up front will give us a target. 

We will go into the game as rank outsiders. I just hope we don't end up like Watford in last seasons FA cup final. 

7 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Enjoy the day our big day out 

If we win it would be incredible. But if we lose as expected enjoy the day out. Far less stressful than the playoffs 

Yes true. But it will  be perhaps more depressing to show the gulf between us and the elites of the English game.