Pre-Match Thread

Ouchmefoot

On 23/02/2020 at 11:14, villa89 said:

Nyland

Elmo        Engels           Mings     Taylor

Guilbert  Nakamba    Luiz          Targett

Jack

Samatta

I'd probably pick a team something like that. Putting Taylor into the team is madness but so is putting in El Ghazi or Hassan. No point risking SJM either, he's needed for the league.

If it's possible to play two goal keepers I'd drop Taylor for Reina. 

That's not a bad shout actually.....makes  a lot of sense.

On 24/02/2020 at 10:40, It's Your Round said:

I’m hopeful we can pull off a miracle and lift the cup. But in reality I fear this we will be a brutal bumming of the worst order, the sort of degradation that only happens in the worst Venezuelan prisons. The biggest man in the prison, no spit and lots of pain ☹️  

you either have a vivid imagination....or a full on, life experience....or both.😀

Edited by TRO

On 24/02/2020 at 12:06, VillaChris said:

Yes from the final whistle at Watford up to the first whistle at Bournemouth we looked a decent team who could get results, were difficult to score past and could raise our game v quality team (Leicester).

In that period Man. City still smashed us on our home ground.

I think the problem is players will be hyped up to believe they can get a result at kick off, first five minutes we'll be snapping into tackles and might have the odd decent attack. Then Man. City will put one move together that will completely cut through our midfield and defence.

Even if they don't score from that I can see us going into our shells and retreating to our 18 yard box.

Just can't see us having the mentality to win this which will need ultra discipline and also taking the odd chance that comes our way.

We need Vinny jones in the dressing room for a pep talk.

On 24/02/2020 at 13:09, John said:

Like 99.9% of us, I would gladly swap a win on Saturday for 14 league points and safety, but that's not on offer. Manchester City have done the double over us already this season and have scored 9 goals, in doing so. To say that, this is not going to be easy, is therefore a bit of an underestimation. The bookmakers, pundits and pretty much everyone else, have already engraved our opponents name on the trophy. Those Manchester City fans who do decide to turn up, that have not as yet become so blasé about domestic cup finals, that they don't bother to go to them, will do so expecting to win at a canter. Their fans also expected the same in 2013, when Wigan lifted the FA Cup, that had seemed to be bound for City's trophy cabinet, before that cup final. Lightning couldn't strike twice in 7 years at Wembley, could it? 

We have met Manchester City three times in this cup competition. We have won twice (4-2 in 2012 & 3-0 in 1984) and have lost once (0-1 in 2000). We have won the trophy 5 times (in 1961, 1975, 1977, 1994 & 1996) and have been beaten finalists three times (in 1963, 1971 & 2010). Our opponents have won this trophy 6 times (in 1970, 1976, 2014, 2016, 2018 & 2019) and were beaten finalists in 1974. A win for our opponents would see them lift the trophy for a third year on the trot, we ourselves are not infrequent visitors to Wembley of late, having made 5 visits since 2015. We are the top scorer's in this season's competition with 19 goals so far, our opponent's have scored 12 times. Just win it for us Villa! Failing that, give us 110%, give us something to shout about and make Citeh know that they've been in one hell of a game...:hooray:    

There is a good treble on offer with with Bet 365..........us winning the cup, a comet hitting New york and George taking over the throne all on the same day......seems like a good bet.🤣

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

On 24/02/2020 at 20:43, wilko154 said:

I'm actually looking forward to the day, the football is likely to end badly but hopefully Saturday's performance will really fire some of our players up.

We all know that Grealish will produce some magic, it's just all on how many other players turn up for him to play with.

Even if we lose 3-0 or 4-0 but give it a good go I'll go home pleased. All we want is for the players to give it their all.

For me Smith has to change the tactics, the wingers are not effective at the moment and the gaps in the midfield create a whole world of problems. We lost the midfield to City at Villa Park, and having Grealish out wide was a complete waste of our best player, he has to be in the middle to carry the ball out wherever possible and bring Samatta into the game.

Nyland

Konsa  Engels  Mings

Guilbert     Nakamba        Targett

Luiz     Grealish   Hourihane

Samatta

Engels and Nakamba to hold the centre of the pitch, Mings and Konsa provide the pace to mop up out wide and in behind.

Guilbert and Targett to provide the width.

Luiz, Grealish and Hourihane combine to get back and defend and get forward to help out Samatta.

sensible proposal.

Laporte injured against Real and subbed off.

City are a so much worse team when he is not playing. Hopefully he's out for the weekend.

Not that it will matter but at least it improves our odds by a tiny margin.

• Like 1

On 25/02/2020 at 11:25, BOF said:

It's a free hit with very little expectation.  I want to see a team bursting with motivation and up for the fight.  I want to see a desire to win every single ball.  Every loose pass, every 50-50.  I want no shrinking violets and no passengers.  If we lose we lose, but stranger things have happened and I don't want them defeated walking out onto the pitch, or heads dropping as soon as the first thing doesn't go our way.  These days don't come around that often, so if we **** it away cheaply then they're a disgrace.  But I'm sure they won't be.  Reina, Mings, Targett & Jack should do enough motivating to keep everyone focussed.  We need massive games from everyone.  Come on lads, we can do this.

Thats the spirit ......a seige Mentality, belief and fortitude as the pre requisite.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

We need to get more bodies in the middle of the park but I have a feeling Smith may stick with the three at the back whilst still beefing up the midfield.

I think we'll go 5-3-1-1 with Engels and Hause either side of Mings, Elmo and Targett wing backs, Luiz, Nakamba and Hourihane in the middle and Jack given a free role behind Samatta.

I'm with you there Mark.....that's essentially where it will be lost, the rest is academic.

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

There is a good tremble on offer with with Bet 365..........us winning the cup, a comet hitting New york and George taking over the throne all on the same day......seems like a good bet.🤣

Nothing like a good trembler up Wembley Way as they say..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Nothing like a good trembler up Wembley Way as they say..

get my trebles and trembles mixed up.

If on a serious Note.....its such a forgone conclusion with just about everyone.

It could be a banana skin for them.

Edited by TRO

26 minutes ago, sne said:

Laporte injured against Real and subbed off.

City are a so much worse team when he is not playing. Hopefully he's out for the weekend.

Not that it will matter but at least it improves our odds by a tiny margin.

Fernandinho replaces him, who replaces Fernandinho if he was to get injured? 🤞🏻

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

get my trebles and trembles mixed up.

If on a serious Note.....its such a forgone conclusion with just about everyone.

It could be a banana skin for them.

Most certainly. We did it against their neighbours a few years ago.

Anyone who thinks it’s a done deal can’t have watched much football over the years.