Pre-Match Thread

Ouchmefoot

On 30/01/2020 at 08:54, wedge said:

I'm training myself to expect us to get battered and be several goals down by about 20 minutes and me be queuing at the bar in the concourse by this time so anything else is a bonus really!

long way to go for a pint😀

On 22/02/2020 at 19:45, danceoftheshamen said:

I really do wish i hadn't wasted my money on a pair of tickets for this game. What a totally pointless waste of a day & cash. Am literally only going to accompany my daughter and try to enjoy a day out at Wembley. It's all about the coach journey down there which will be the only fun bit, it's the first time daughters been to an away day so looking forward to that outward journey & a bit of pre-match atmosphere. Obviously later it'll be depression central once the games over (likely after 15 mins or so).

Only good side is there are no points at stake.

That is the most reasoned view I've heard for attending....I hope you have a fulfilling day.

I was at the Man Utd game and we hadn't got a prayer......Fenton was the curved ball and the rest is History, but Ron was an astute tactician and Dalian and Dean was formidable on their day too.

I have seen before the most obvious outcome, turned on its head...it can happen.

If we play, anything like we did against Leicester, we have an outside chance.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

On 22/02/2020 at 18:21, kidlewis said:

Extra police will be required as it’s going to be considered assault at full time. 

just to stop our lot eating each other at full time.

After the Southampton defeat last weekend I just can’t feel any excitement for this, which is shameful when my beloved club reach a cup final.  Perhaps I’ll feel different on Sunday?  

Massacre, i’m not so sure, but can’t see anything other than a defeat i’m afraid.  We’ll probably score first, then concede quickly in rather poor fashion, then concede a further two. I agree with others in this thread though and think we must play with three in midfield. Either a 5-3-2 or back to 4-3-3. My preference would be:

Nyland

Guilbert    Konsa  Mings  Hause    Targett

Nakamba      

Luiz                 Hourihane

Grealish

Samatta

Subs:  Reina, Engels, Elmo, Taylor, AEG, Trez, Davis or Baston

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

That is the most reasoned view I've heard for attending....I hope you have a fulfilling day.

I was at the Man Utd game and we hadn't got a prayer......Fenton was the curved ball and the rest is History, but Ron was an astute tactician and Dalian and Dean was formidable on their day too.

I have seen before the most obvious outcome, turned on its head...it can happen.

If we play, anything like we did against Leicester, we have an outside chance.

I'm absolutely buzzing to meet up with my mates in London, drink myself silly and sing until my throat closes up but it will likely be day over at 4.30pm unfortunately.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wedge said:

I'm absolutely buzzing to meet up with my mates in London, drink myself silly and sing until my throat closes up but it will likely be day over at 4.30pm unfortunately.

when I had the energy.....ditto.

sounds like its doesn't matter, what the score is?

just enjoy the day and don't get wrapped up in any frustration if it happens.....Arsenal was not a pretty sight outside after the game.....villa on Villa.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, wedge said:

I've found it helps my mental well-being if I go into games like this expecting to get hammered and anything else is a lovely surprise.

just watch yourself outside if we do get hammered.

On 23/02/2020 at 00:08, Mantis said:

Today changes nothing for me with regards to this game. Gonna be honest I pretty much wrote it off as soon as City beat United. Obviously it's not a good attitude and if the players have it we'll have zero chance, but against a team like City with the team we have now it's just a tiny sliver of a chance and that's it.

At least if we do lose I'll probably be less disappointed than I was in 2010 or 2015.

Trust me, its what everyone thinks.

But I have seen games like this tear up the form book.....just hoping.

we need some Tyson Fury approach........TOTAL DEFIANCE.

Edited by TRO

6 minutes ago, wedge said:

How do you mean?

Against Arsenal when we lost 4-0 ...I was depressed at seeing so many Villa  fans fighting amongst themselves outside the stadium on the concourse.

I guess it was Booze and frustration, not a good combination.....steer clear is my advice.

Having said that against Man U it was them we had to dodge.

Edited by TRO

Just now, TRO said:

Against Arsenal when we lost 4-0 ...I was depressed at seeing so many Villa  fans fighting amongst themselves outside the stadium on the concourse.

I guess it was Booze and frustration, not a good combination.....steer clear is my advice.

Can happen with anyone mate unfortunately. After the Fulham play-off final defeat it was more sheer dejection than anger, felt numb.

• Like 1

Just now, wedge said:

Can happen with anyone mate unfortunately. After the Fulham play-off final defeat it was more sheer dejection than anger, felt numb.

just don't want it to happen to you, is all.

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

After the Southampton defeat last weekend I just can’t feel any excitement for this, which is shameful when my beloved club reach a cup final.  Perhaps I’ll feel different on Sunday?  

Massacre, i’m not so sure, but can’t see anything other than a defeat i’m afraid.  We’ll probably score first, then concede quickly in rather poor fashion, then concede a further two. I agree with others in this thread though and think we must play with three in midfield. Either a 5-3-2 or back to 4-3-3. My preference would be:

Nyland

Guilbert    Konsa  Mings  Hause    Targett

Nakamba      

Luiz                 Hourihane

Grealish

Samatta

Subs:  Reina, Engels, Elmo, Taylor, AEG, Trez, Davis or Baston

3-5-2.....we must pack the midfield and be compact and all move as a unit/block.....but more importantly show belief and fortitude.

Edited by TRO

On 23/02/2020 at 01:18, jackbauer24 said:

I saw an Avengers gif a few posts back. Funnily enough, a statistic from Dr Strange came to my head as I left St Mary's today - we also probably have about 1 chance in 14,000,605 scenarios. And we have no Tony Stark.

Team? Makes little difference who we assemble in this end game! Personally I'd go;

Nyland

Konsa Mings Engels

Guilbert (if fit?)                       Targett

ElGhazi Nakamba Hourihane

Grealish

Samatta

Won't make any difference though. If McGinn is able to even walk by Sunday I'd be getting him on bench, morale lift and all that. ElGhazi gets nod purely due to lack of options and hope that he could score with his back again! All defenders instructed to release ball immediately and not attempt too many passes - hence why Hause doesn't feature! Nyland can prove No.1 should be his (Reina's great saves today all came from his mistakes). Luiz way too chilled/lazy/incompetent to start. Alternatively, go to a flat back four, drop Konsa and play Baston as a wildcard and actually have two strikers on the pitch. To be fair, he made intelligent runs today but sharpness a bit lacking!

Think, as people have said above, records could be crushed though. Heaviest defeat in any final?

i would go 3-5-2.....retreating will just play in to their hands....we have to take them on, without giving too much space away, play compact.

or a banana skin, for them.

Edited by TRO

On 23/02/2020 at 12:11, Elton said:

Being as we have lost 3 in a row, same as 94, perhaps we should throw in a total unknown, a la Graham Fenton.

Return of back 4. Hause stays as more pace than Engels.

Nyland

Targett Hause Mings Elmo

G Fenton Jack Nakamba Luiz       Maradona

Samatta 

I guess I have no idea how to resolve our midfield balance.

does anybody?...they are all much the same and not without issues.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

On 23/02/2020 at 10:24, Robtaylor200 said:

Enjoy the day our big day out 

If we win it would be incredible. But if we lose as expected enjoy the day out. Far less stressful than the playoffs 

If we win, they will all get the BBC sports personality of the year award.& knighted for services to the underdog 😀

• Haha 1

On 23/02/2020 at 07:58, maqroll said:

If Smith gets the side he puts out there to play relaxed, we might be within a shout of staying in the game. Big ask.

Relaxed....they have been that all season almost comotose........I want them to be fired up like Tyson Fury and play like the " Crazy Gang"