Pre-Match Thread

Ouchmefoot

Whats the worst that could happen? We lose and then have to rely on our solid league place for our spot in Europe next season? 😜

"Theres no such thing as losing badly, there's no such thing as login badly, there's no ...." if I say it enough I'll believe it.

3 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

All looking at this wrong. What a story it would be for villa to beat city given the prevailing circumstances. Would be a result for the ages. It's not impossible. Improbable, yes. But not impossible. 

Couldn't agree more! Odds of 10-1? 20-1? Fine, so the bookies think we would win between 2 and 4 times if we played this fixture all season. Why shouldn't one of those be on Sunday? Especially as our fans will make Wembley feel like Villa Park (even if City do manage to finally flog all those unsold tickets). No-one gave Palace much chance in their FA Cup semi against Liverpool in 1990. But they swarmed all over them and that earlier 9-0 win began to feel like an albatross round Liverpool's neck. Strange things can happen in football. The Busby Babes, Bayern Munich, Fergie's United – all great sides who were meant to give Villa a beating. Each time Villa had other ideas. Our post-war history is built on underdog stories. Of course our team has its problems, but Samatta and Nakamba will be representing entire nations at Wembley – willing to run through brick walls, I am sure. If the rest of the players join them, and our warrior-magician of a captain does his thing, then we CAN win this. And what a party it would be.

Edited by Five Ken McNaughts
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Real Madrid showed how to score against City : press up high - particularly on Walker - and pounce on the inevitable mistake. 

.... Good thing that we are a great pressing team.,then. 

Danny Drinkwater is often touted as the English Isco so I'm sure we'll give them a similar challenge.

18 minutes ago, John said:

I found this interesting on Radio WM last night (between 48.00 & 55.55mins). It's Big Ron with his thoughts on how he would set us up for the final and he also explains how he set us up in 94. He also thinks we can stay up: 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p082w50f

Has Deano got his number? Talks a lot of sense does Ron.

• Like 1

So afternoon off work, come home and to get myself even more up for Sunday I’m sat watching the 94 final. Obviously we weren’t in such a bad league position as now, but there are similarities between then and now. Just shows we have to fight for everything but we can do it. Come on!!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

All looking at this wrong. What a story it would be for villa to beat city given the prevailing circumstances. Would be a result for the ages. It's not impossible. Improbable, yes. But not impossible. 

Not all, some.

No fear at all here, I’m confident.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, terrytini said:

Most certainly. We did it against their neighbours a few years ago.

Anyone who thinks it’s a done deal can’t have watched much football over the years.

I was there.....and wallowed in the celebrations.

16 hours ago, terrytini said:

Not all, some.

No fear at all here, I’m confident.

Terry, we all know the odds.....the only option we have is a siege mentality and frustrate the hell out of them.....Ron Atkinson is spot on with his advice.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

never have i dreaded a cup final and thought the result was utterly inevitable as this one.

i remember watching Man City tear Watford apart in last season's final. They made them look like a pub team, god knows what they will do to us.

I just hope our players turn up and show heart and fight and we keep it under 10:0

You obviously wasn't in Rotterdam.....sure we had a better team, but most of us just went for the final, never thinking we would win it.

when you looked at the Bayern line up, it was enough to make you stay in the pub.

If we concentrate on frustrating Man city and show fortitude, the unlikely can happen.

• Like 4

On 26/02/2020 at 23:01, maqroll said:

The pressure is on Man City to win. No pressure on Villa. If they play loose they might find the only edge that seems to be available as Sunday nears.

But, we can't stand off.....that will be the only killer.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Its as big a mismatch as I can remember for a final. Somehow got to keep it 0-0 for as long as possible. Managed it for a half at the Etihad and then did a Villa in the 46th as soon as the second half started.

Remember last year City had just done Chelsea 6-0 in the league, then had them a week or so later in the final, everyone expected another massacre, and it was 0-0 and went to pens. But that was Chelsea and this is Villa. Reality says all the stars in the universe have to align for us just to keep the scoreline respectable. 

Even if we had an amazing 80 mins with a 1-0 lead, defending like men posessed with City not creating much, they could easily just score 4 in the last 10 mins with the players they posess. Be an unbelievable day if we somehow do it, got to have a bit of faith I suppose but its as extremely unlikely as we all know. Pray we get a response from that shitshow last week.

• Like 3