Generic Virus Thread

villakram

6 hours ago, KentVillan said:

The worst case scenario isn’t the “expected” or “accepted” so perhaps a bit misleading to present them as such, but yes they are official.

Looking back at that conversation, I think there are three points, and I'm standing by two and conceding one:

-the concession is I shouldn't have said 'will die', which is obviously too strong, so let's say 'might die' instead. 

-I'm not changing ing 'accepted' because they have accepted that this is a possible consequence. 

-it's obviously not 'pretty irresponsible' to quote publicly available figures. 

So, I'm happy to change the sentence to 'the UK government have accepted that 500,000 - 600,000 people might die'. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 3

I deliver for Tesco, it's chaos at the moment. Delivered to a 90 year old lady who kept clear of me and another who was spraying my hands, only for me to get back in the van and carry on gripping the shared steering wheel.

Travelling all over North Wales and into Shropshire, I fear I could have it, not show symptoms and be infecting those who are staying home. 

No chance of working at home (at least not mine) for me. The other half is a pharmacy technician in Wrexham Maelor hospital too which adds a bit more risk. She's coughing and sneezing but work will make her carry on. 

Justin Trudeau’s wife confirmed as infected so he’s in isolation for 14 days. 

Convenient that we halt testing after a confirmed case has been to a reception in No.10. 

Meanwhile in Poland, where schools are shut and mass gatherings banned, the Catholic Church refuses to ban masses.
In fact, they want to hold more! And this stance is supported by the Deputy PM:

Despite restrictions on public gatherings, the Catholic church has continued its refusal to cancel masses. Instead, it wants to hold more services so as to reduce the number attending each one.

Under mounting pressure, on Thursday the Polish episcopate issued special dispensation for the elderly, sick and children not to attend mass. It has also cancelled its own plenary session planned for this week.

There has so far been no public pressure from the government for churches to close, as has happened in Italy. In fact, Jarosław Gowin, a deputy prime minister, came out in support of the episcopate’s position. Churches are “hospitals for the soul” and should remain open, said Gowin in an interview with TVN.

#ThoughtsAndPrayers that virus away!

37 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Minister Peter Dutton (controversial Australian home affairs minister) has tested positive, but the thing I found interesting was that it is official gov policy in that part of Aus that all people with a positive test be sent to stay in hospital rather than isolating at home. 

Every cloud...🙂

Seriously though, this policy could backfire. I have received word from my powers that be, that if you are in contact with a Covid-19 patient, you must self isolate for a mandatory 14 days. ie. no work. I don't know if this extends to those who are directly employed by the hospitals, but if it does, that is a lot of hospital staff taking days off.

I haven't had to deal with anyone with Corona virus yet, so I am yet to see how the set up is. I would assume that one nurse and one doctor focuses solely on that patient, not to have any other patients, and to not have any contact with any other staff to prevent further spread of the virus. This would mean extra staff would be required on the wards, and already hospitals are not flush with staff. I am just speculating here though, so maybe they have already implemented some weird but wonderful plan already.

As for the post contact isolation thingy, I hope it never applies to me. I quite like the idea of working for money.

39 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Hoping they reopen by August 

We were supposed to be checking into Old Key West on 27th March. 5 day stay at Disney, 7 in a Villa, then a few days in the Keys before coming home from Miami. 

Got to unpick the whole lot now somehow, we didn’t book a package - we always do it piece-meal ‘cos it’s cheaper and we do different stuff.

Ah well. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

A bold strategy you say? It's fine it's the British we're talking about..

I think there's an element of truth to the following not so funny history, which is to suggest that the bold strategy is actually just the reality that British go wherever they like whenever they like, however they like, even if it means a far reaching widespread distribution of harmful pathogens. As recorded by a British immigrant in America, British peoples did deliberately introduce biological warfare on Native American peoples after the Natives attempt to drive out British immigrants, the consequences were genocidal when you think about it. Even though reports and research will suggest that it's hard to differentiate whether the methods used by the British were efficient or whether the cause was a natural epidemic, it's strangely coincidental that a spiritual people who lived off the land and called America home for a minimum of 15,000 years is left for dead, just after a British guy documents that his fellow compatriots tried to deliberately infect the Natives. Next up, we have indigenous Australians, living off the land they have called home for 60,000 years strong, who are paid a visit by, the British! And consequently smallpox. The British really are nonchalant about the potential consequences of passing on pathogens in their successful attempts to turn entire continents into a colony, which I might mention have a tendency toward white power structures that employ what might as well be called modern day slavery tactics.

Massively racist rant, guilty, I'm just sick and tired, not with coronavirus, but with humanity being neglected and duped en masse. Please to any and all British people who are just innocently going about their day, and I suspect there may be one or two who frequent these parts, please pay my bullpoo no mind. I take issue with the world at times, and that's my problem, not yours. Please have a lovely day.

A few more paragraphs and you've got yourself an award winning Guardian Opinion piece.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just saw this on Japanese news...

A Chinese official has blamed the outbreak of Corona virus on visiting American soldiers.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, AJ said:

Just saw this on Japanese news...

A Chinese official has blamed the outbreak of Corona virus on visiting American soldiers.

He may want to look at their disgusting wet markets. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

We were supposed to be checking into Old Key West on 27th March. 5 day stay at Disney, 7 in a Villa, then a few days in the Keys before coming home from Miami. 

Got to unpick the whole lot now somehow, we didn’t book a package - we always do it piece-meal ‘cos it’s cheaper and we do different stuff.

Ah well. 

Me, the wife and 2 kiddies are (were) booked to go to Disney Land Paris for April half-term - on Wednesday they'd already said "there will be no daily parades, lines have been changed as per gov instruction and theatre/cinema experiences have been altered to adhere to gov guidelines" - last night "as of 30th March, the parks will close". 

We'll probably get our money back for the Disney holiday, but we're likely to lose just over £500 if the Euro Star is still going back and forth.

I don't mind moving the trip, but my 5 year old is understandably getting excited to go.  It would be a shame if we cancelled it outright. 

49 minutes ago, Awol said:

Good news - sneezing is a cold, not C—19.

Tesco should be supplying masks, gloves, gel and wipes to all delivery workers with a quick demo on infection control.

As Terry said earlier, the basics aren’t being done. It’s bonkers. 

That's good to know. Thank you. 

Yeah, they aren't really doing very much considering the variety of people and places we go. 

I'm delivering to an OAP care home this morning. I have a packet of multi purpose that "kills 99% of germs dead" and sod all else. They'll probably just let me stroll in through to their kitchen without batting and eyelid. 

1 minute ago, Wezbid said:

He may want to look at their disgusting wet markets. 

And everything else. Until I visit On Topic, it is probably the stupidest thing I have heard all day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

Listened to Boris and his science guys yesterday and anyone can read between the lines and see what's happening here. 

Our government are taking a strategy of doing pretty much nothing to combat the spread because they want to develop "herd immunity"... Translation, we're just going to let the elderly and vulnerable suffer/die. There might be some science to it but that's cold, even for the tories. 

I have another theory though, they've done the sums and decided if they can fix the care crisis by wiping out the elderly and keep everyone else at work earning money that's preferable to the cost of fighting this thing... It wouldn't be at all like tories to be all about money. 

What was the reason for fear of AI again?

12 hours ago, terrytini said:

If the Premier League didn’t exist.....and we were in the position we are now medically........how would the suggestion that we hold multiple gatherings of between 25-65000 people up and down the country be greeted ?

Quite.

I think if you only get 25 fans,  they can carry on for a bit if they spread out.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Good news - sneezing is a cold, not C—19.

Tesco should be supplying masks, gloves, gel and wipes to all delivery workers with a quick demo on infection control.

As Terry said earlier, the basics aren’t being done. It’s bonkers. 

I work in central Birmingham for Barclays and my boss went to our London office on Monday. He got back and said that they have hand sanitizers everywhere you turn.

What do we have in our Birmingham office? Nothing.

We've had an email to say that the cleaners are increasing their duties, but they still seem to appear at the usual times, lazily wiping the same dusty old rag over the desks and taps. I've just been to the kitchen to make a coffee and the taps for washing hands aren't even pouring out warm water. This is an office with probably 500 people in it.

I'm not at risk myself, but as my daughter is under 2, my wife is pregnant, and my dad has stage 3 cancer, I'm going to work from home from next Monday. For how long, I'm not sure. Do I just work from home for weeks/ months until things start to look on the rise?

Â