Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Just now, ml1dch said:

Unfortunately the Brexit public in your metaphor is the yelling-at-anyone-who-looks-Chinese, stealing-disinfectant-from-hospitals, boycotting-Corona-beer one. 

And it's not hard to see why they might think that part of society might not act as responsibly in a crisis as might be hoped. 

Oh yes, silly me. I forgot we are all dribbling morons.

Thanks the reminder. 

14 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I imagine season will end, FFP will take any losses into consideration, but any transfers will go ahead as normal.

Just because your office is closed, it doesn't mean that you can't change jobs.

Players are individual contractors who decide where and when they play, so no break in fixtures should prevent them from doing so.

That would be a silver lining, wouldn’t it?! 

Edit: also, Liverpool. Bwahahahaha! 

Edit 2: Leeds! 😆

Edited by Awol
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

This does indeed seem to be the plan at this point. 'Bleak' doesn't begin to cover it.

Given that the UK government now appear to be accepting that 500,000 - 600,000 people will die, look out for China. An equivalent loss of life there, relative to population, would be about 8 million people. They claim that 'only' 5,000 have died so far (yes, those numbers are probably wrong, but not *that* wrong).

I can''t find any report suggesting those numbers, That's pretty irresponsible posting stuff like that.

13 minutes ago, colhint said:

I can''t find any report suggesting those numbers, That's pretty irresponsible posting stuff like that.

I think the chief medical officer said today they are working on worse case 80% of people getting the coronavirus. That is 53 million people. They are also predicting 1% of people who get it will die. That is 530,00 people. Italy is currently running at 6% fatality rates. I think many have suggested a 3% fatality rate is a more realistic conservative figure. That in the UK could mean over 1.5 million deaths. 

Whichever way you look at this as the Prime Minister rightly said many of us are going to lose loved ones before their time.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Well, it’s a bold strategy

ES8erMEWsAA35u-?format=jpg&name=large

It was pretty clear early on that there never really was four phases to the plan, it’s just 1. Let it run and 2. Hope for the best. 

This idea that they will somehow manage the numbers correctly to create the herd immunity quickly sounds ludicrous to me. 

I’ve heard/read a couple of bits on it and even the experts who thought the herd strategy could work, still said it had to be done slowly over 18-24 months, and using severe containment measures at the same time (ie lock downs, bring numbers down, lift restrictions, repeat as required). 

No testing now unless hospitalised, so I don’t understand how they can even get an accurate picture of the spread, except waiting for hospitals to become full with critical patients?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, colhint said:

The figure quoted any number of times by scientists on the tv has been 80% infection and 1% fatality.

Those numbers give you about 540,000 dead.

But as mentioned above our low numbers are currently coming out higher than 1% and Italy reads as 6% although obviously skewed by tested / not tested  selective sampling.

4 minutes ago, colhint said:

where. Please show me one and I'll retract.

This has been said several times, and was repeated today. From a story from today:

'Chris Whitty, the chief medical officer, said that worst-case scenario planning projected that 80% of the country would contract the virus, with a 1% mortality rate. This equates to more than 500,000 deaths.'

from: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/12/uk-moves-to-delay-phase-of-coronavirus-plan

Â