Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, Awol said:

So from that briefing is it fair to surmise isolation now is good from a medical perspective, but advice from “behavioural scientists” is that we can’t be trusted to keep that up for long enough?! Balls to that.

Talked with the long-haired General and decision made. Kids are out of school now until we decide it’s safe enough to send them back.

We don’t have to do what every petty bureaucrat or quack scientist tells us to. Use your own judgement, no one is going to apologise later if they’ve massively screwed this up. You are not subjects to be experimented on. 

brilliant, have yourself pint  🤣

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

I wonder if any clubs will defy it and refuse to play? Big day tomorrow...

Premier League have always been arrogant dickheads and would probably throw a points deduction against a team for not playing

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Mikel Arteta tested positive now, despite the PL saying games are going ahead, will there actually be any games played?

There really, really shouldn’t. Nonchalant in the extreme.

29 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Answer. No. Nothing. Nothing at all. I asked have they at least asked all staff whether they’ve been on holiday to wherever. No. Nothing at all.

Right. Exactly. It’s not like no-one in the great ship of state knows this stuff either. 

It seems increasingly clear from the lack of preventative action that the idea is to really stoke up the levels of infection and get the outbreak cooking, then lockdown, probably for 2-4 weeks. Let those with the mild illness recover behind closed doors, try to extract and treat those with more severe symptoms, then hope when quarantine is lifted that the ‘herd immunity’ has been established.  

As brutal as that seems/is, I do wonder if other scenarios modelled resulted in even greater losses of life? 

Problem with the lack of transparency is people like us are left to fill in the blanks with seemingly plausible/probably wrong scenarios and motives. 

The Achilles heel of the British State has always been its insufferably patrician disdain for the public. I thought they’d learned their lesson with Brexit, but apparently not. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Mikel Arteta tested positive now, despite the PL saying games are going ahead, will there actually be any games played?

There’s the premier league cancellation they were after then...

beat decision all round

I was at a grocery store 2 hours ago. Total mob scene with queues 20 deep. No toilet paper, hand soap or hand sanitizer. First case reported in Maine today as well.

25 minutes ago, Awol said:

It seems increasingly clear from the lack of preventative action that the idea is to really stoke up the levels of infection and get the outbreak cooking, then lockdown, probably for 2-4 weeks. Let those with the mild illness recover behind closed doors, try to extract and treat those with more severe symptoms, then hope when quarantine is lifted that the ‘herd immunity’ has been established.  

As brutal as that seems/is, I do wonder if other scenarios modelled resulted in even greater losses of life?

This does indeed seem to be the plan at this point. 'Bleak' doesn't begin to cover it.

Given that the UK government now appear to be accepting that 500,000 - 600,000 people will die, look out for China. An equivalent loss of life there, relative to population, would be about 8 million people. They claim that 'only' 5,000 have died so far (yes, those numbers are probably wrong, but not *that* wrong).

Putting the apocalypse to one side for a minute...

If they do now void the 19/20 season, can we get a transfer window in the summer? Finances are gonna be completely stuffed with TV money already paid maybe being clawed back through the courts, but none of the clubs in the bottom three now would accept relegation on the basis of the table as it stands now.. 

How could it play out? 

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Firstly, tough shit. Walk to 15 pharmacies like I did. 

Secondly it's for work, so not exactly straight up personal use. Take thst moral crap elsewhere. It's to keep my field guys healthy to sanitize their equipment. Didn't change the look on her face mind. 

You probably bought the ineffective shit that claims to kill 99.9% germs but fails to mention it doesn’t have a sufficient amount of alcohol content to be effective against the Coronavirus. A walk to 15 pharmacies well spent. 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

37 minutes ago, Awol said:

The Achilles heel of the British State has always been its insufferably patrician disdain for the public. I thought they’d learned their lesson with Brexit, but apparently not. 

Unfortunately the Brexit public in your metaphor is the yelling-at-anyone-who-looks-Chinese, stealing-disinfectant-from-hospitals, boycotting-Corona-beer one. 

And it's not hard to see why they might think that part of society might not act as responsibly in a crisis as might be hoped. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Awol said:

Putting the apocalypse to one side for a minute...

If they do now void the 19/20 season, can we get a transfer window in the summer? Finances are gonna be completely stuffed with TV money already paid maybe being clawed back through the courts, but none of the clubs in the bottom three now would accept relegation on the basis of the table as it stands now.. 

How could it play out? 

I imagine season will end, FFP will take any losses into consideration, but any transfers will go ahead as normal.

Just because your office is closed, it doesn't mean that you can't change jobs.

Players are individual contractors who decide where and when they play, so no break in fixtures should prevent them from doing so.

Â