Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Government to issue medals... sorry, stickers to survivors

Corona Physical2.jpg

It had crossed my mind now would be a good time to get it. ....NHS not yet overwhelmed, get good quality care.....recover, then have ( hopefully) immunity .....be like Superman.

Which did lead me to wonder, has anyone considered paying those that have recovered to have a role in the coming weeks, shopping for at risk groups, helping out in Care or Health scenarios ? 
It’d be a growing army of helpers ?

Johnson’s logic re: sporting events is crazy.

Says that on average one person infects two or three others so you have low probability of infecting a large number of people in a stadium as you only infect people close to you.

That’s the whole point, stadiums bring you into very close contact with thousands of people and high volume contact points and massively increases the chance of infecting a higher number of people.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Preventing? Buying it for my colleagues? So by being smart, kind and proactive for my colleagues you get there? 

No offence, but if we're six weeks into a global pandemic and you're running round 15 public pharmacies looking for disinfectant for your business, somebody in your company probably dropped the ball a good while back. 

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

No offence, but if we're six weeks into a global pandemic and you're are running round 15 public pharmacies looking for disinfectant for your business, you or somebody else in your company probably dropped the ball a good while back. 

Well it happens. Not everything is where it needs to be at all times. Even for big companies like this. And it's only been an issue here for a week and our government downplayed it just a few weeks back, so most companies are unprepared for what happened today. 

10 minutes ago, Enda said:

The “first come, first served” approach neglects that my 74 year-old mother with a bad hip can’t walk to 15 pharmacies.

Anyone who has read any John Wyndham knows where this is going, sadly.

• Like 1

So from that briefing is it fair to surmise isolation now is good from a medical perspective, but advice from “behavioural scientists” is that we can’t be trusted to keep that up for long enough?! Balls to that.

Talked with the long-haired General and decision made. Kids are out of school now until we decide it’s safe enough to send them back.

We don’t have to do what every petty bureaucrat or quack scientist tells us to. Use your own judgement, no one is going to apologise later if they’ve massively screwed this up. You are not subjects to be experimented on. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

I'm reading that leading experts, some from top 5 universities are predicting that 30%-80% of the population will contract it within the year.

They are defining close contact as a 15 minute conversation with another person or sharing a room for 2 hours or more.

@wilko154 If you would like a list of places visited by people who've contracted it in Australia then I can send you a link, can't see why it'd help but just thought I'd offer anyway.

Yes please mate.

I'm visiting Sydney as a relative is there, then travelling up the coast to Brisbane.

Experts are calling it pathetic and we seem to be taking a different approach to other countries

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/12/health-expert-brands-uks-coronavirus-response-pathetic 

A leading public health expert has launched a devastating critique of the government’s handling of the coronavirus outbreak in the UK, saying it is too little too late, lacks transparency and fails to mobilise the public.

4 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Yes please mate.

I'm visiting Sydney as a relative is there, then travelling up the coast to Brisbane.

Apologies, I was only reading a list of specific events and places for Victoria, as they are the only state to reveal such specific locations.

All I could find on the reports in Sydney are that North-Western suburbs, they are Eastwood, Epping, Ryde and Macquarie (especially the shopping centre) are on alert.

Apparently this is as a consequence of a treating doctor contracting it and passing it on while practicing.

All within a six kilometer square distance so hopefully you aren't heading North-West!

3 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Apologies, I was only reading a list of specific events and places for Victoria, as they are the only state to reveal such specific locations.

All I could find on the reports in Sydney are that North-Western suburbs, they are Eastwood, Epping, Ryde and Macquarie (especially the shopping centre) are on alert.

Apparently this is as a consequence of a treating doctor contracting it and passing it on while practicing.

All within a six kilometer square distance so hopefully you aren't heading North-West!

It’s already far more widely spread than just the areas that have shown up in tests. 

Toilet paper literally sold out state-wide in Victoria.

Let's hope it's because a group of angry teenagers plans to cover parliament house with it!

Seriously though, drove 40 minutes to the outer-suburbs to visit the Grandma, and they're sold out there too..

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It’s already far more widely spread than just the areas that have shown up in tests. 

I'm sure it is, but what I'm talking about is the location of the people who have contracted it.

Â