Generic Virus Thread

villakram

6 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I'm sure it is, but what I'm talking about is the location of the people who have contracted it.

And I’m saying there are almost certainly far more locations and far more people who have contracted it, they just haven’t been tested.

• Thanks 1

Got guilt tripped by an assistant in M&S today in the motorway services.

Picked up two packets of their lemon zesty wipes.

Lemon zesty because the car I was driving was disgusting and clearly hadn’t been cleaned for weeks.

Two packets because the packets were tiny, 10 mini tissues per pack.

Anyway, she called across to me that they were limited to two packs per customer. To which my first response (kinda straight up showing my guilt) was to call back that they weren’t alcohol or anything they were just lemon smelling. Then I realised I only bloody had two packets anyway. Then I noticed there was hardly anybody in the services and they had boxes of them stacked up!

She was obviously loving her new role as oberfuhrer Von tissuemeister.

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

And I’m saying there are almost certainly far more locations and far more people who have contracted it, they just haven’t been tested.

Okay, I suppose you're right if 30-80% of the world's populace is to catch it by year's end.

They are saying that it close contact is how we transfer it and that close contact is by sharing a room for 2 hours or more or a conversation of 15 minutes.

Edit: Upon further reading you're right LondonLax, I was reading dated reports, already 78 cases of it in NSW, I was reading less than a dozen.

The health experts say NSW, which is hardest hit in Australia, will see, at best, 1.5 million contract it, they didn't offer a duration of time for that to happen in.

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

What I don't get is why big shops haven't made "emergency packs".

Rice, toilet paper, soap, some veg, some fruit, get that shit wrapped and sell for £25 without anyone needing to search through the isles. 

Maybe display available packs online so people know exactly what to get, or even better, do a drive through service where you turn up, give your name, pick your pack.

That would save people a lot of hassle and would protect many people from catching the virus.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Awol said:

So from that briefing is it fair to surmise isolation now is good from a medical perspective, but advice from “behavioural scientists” is that we can’t be trusted to keep that up for long enough?! Balls to that.

Talked with the long-haired General and decision made. Kids are out of school now until we decide it’s safe enough to send them back.

We don’t have to do what every petty bureaucrat or quack scientist tells us to. Use your own judgement, no one is going to apologise later if they’ve massively screwed this up. You are not subjects to be experimented on. 

Indeed.

It is of course possible that the Governments approach is the correct one.

But equally it’s possible that a Right Wing government would find immediate massive Health and  Care investment, the organising of community responses, and wage guarantees ( at meaningful levels) equivalent to eating Kryptonite.

And also equally possible that a Government full of idealouges, has beens, charlatans and the wealthy might be either incompetent, self serving, or both.

Like you, I am organising my family and making our own arrangements.

My career was all about installing diligence systems. I can’t begin to express how many things could be being implemented that we are hearing nothing of.

A simple example.

My wife works in a Care Home. I asked her what audit has been carried out on those making deliveries, friends and relatives visiting, and staff. Have they visited XYZ in the last month ? Has their family ? Many go to multiple Care Homes...And so on. A precautionary step, but also relevant when it comes to tracing time.

Answer. No. Nothing. Nothing at all. I asked have they at least asked all staff whether they’ve been on holiday to wherever. No. Nothing at all.

14 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Given that the science suggests breathing the same air as an infectious person is as risky as them coughing on you, ive made my own decision.....I suspect many others will vote with their feet aswell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

Johnson’s logic re: sporting events is crazy.

Says that on average one person infects two or three others so you have low probability of infecting a large number of people in a stadium as you only infect people close to you.

That’s the whole point, stadiums bring you into very close contact with thousands of people and high volume contact points and massively increases the chance of infecting a higher number of people.

Seems pretty obvious doesn’t it. Car parks, trains, buses, queues for food, toilets........

If the Premier League didn’t exist.....and we were in the position we are now medically........how would the suggestion that we hold multiple gatherings of between 25-65000 people up and down the country be greeted ?

Quite.

in case it hasnt already been posted. Here's the latest from WHO with loads of information

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019

and heres the latest situation report issued today.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/20200312-sitrep-52-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=e2bfc9c0_2

HIGHLIGHTS • Four new countries/territories/areas (French Polynesia, Turkey, Honduras and Côte d’Ivoire) have reported cases of COVID-19 in the past 24 hours. • The Clinical Unit continues to convene clinicians around the globe, twice weekly by teleconference (COVID-19 Clinical Network) to share knowledge and experiences from clinicians caring for COVID-19 patients and highlight operational challenges and technical questions. For more details, please see ‘subject in focus’.

SITUATION IN NUMBERS total and new cases in last 24 hours

Globally 125 048 confirmed (6729 new) 4613 deaths (321 new)

China 80 981 confirmed (26 new) 3173 deaths (11 new)

Outside of China 44 067 confirmed (6703 new) 1440 deaths (310 new)

117 countries/territories/ areas (4 new)

Â