Generic Virus Thread

villakram

I am probably late to the party on this, but could someone explain the bog roll situation to me?

The first I heard about this was when I dropped off the cats to the kennel, and the kennel manager mentioned it, that there was no toilet paper on the shelves of the supermarket but food was pretty much untouched. At the time it seemed odd, didn't give it much further thought, and skipped the country the next morning.

Later, through news feeds and VT, I learnt there was crazy shit going on, that people were resorting to fisticuffs over dunny paper. I thought this was madness. What exactly is the connection between a respiratory virus and the desperate need to wipe your arse a lot? I was even surprised to learn that this wasn't just happening in my silly country, but all over the world.

The thing is, I thought people would come to their senses and this will all blow over, but apparently its still happening. Why is that? Is it a simple case of stupid people still being stupid, or is it a fear that shops will close and they will be isolated from consumable supplies, or is it because its a demand created, as normal people have to stock up before the idiots deplete the stocks again?

When I get home, should I follow the norm and buy as much toilet paper to fill my garage? I really hope not, because this all seems quite insane.

I don't get the TP thing. People found a way cope without it for a few fair years. Plenty of more critical things you think people would be hoarding right now. That said, I just added TP to my dry goods order at the bar even though I still have several weeks worth of it on hand...I just hope I get customers coming here in the desired numbers as this continues. We had a great night Wednesday, but last night was dead. The hospitality industry globally is getting hit really hard right now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Well, it’s a bold strategy

ES8erMEWsAA35u-?format=jpg&name=large

There is no way to stop it and you have to assume most of us on here will get it at some point this year. Whilst it is ‘contained’ in China it will just come back again there as soon as normal life starts to resume (maybe even by westerners bringing it back there) . It’s just too contagious and spreads before people show symptoms.

However, the critical thing is the availability of ICU hospital beds. If you can slow the spread enough to trickle patients into ICU, as they have done in China, the death toll is ‘only’ about 1%. On the other hand if everyone arrives at ICU at once and the hospitals are overwhelmed the death toll is closer to 6%. 

The UK would likely be looking at the second scenario under the current strategy.  

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

You probably bought the ineffective shit that claims to kill 99.9% germs but fails to mention it doesn’t have a sufficient amount of alcohol content to be effective against the Coronavirus. A walk to 15 pharmacies well spent. 

It's medical grade pushed for this spesific pandemic, so that seems unlikely. 

Listened to Boris and his science guys yesterday and anyone can read between the lines and see what's happening here. 

Our government are taking a strategy of doing pretty much nothing to combat the spread because they want to develop "herd immunity"... Translation, we're just going to let the elderly and vulnerable suffer/die. There might be some science to it but that's cold, even for the tories. 

I have another theory though, they've done the sums and decided if they can fix the care crisis by wiping out the elderly and keep everyone else at work earning money that's preferable to the cost of fighting this thing... It wouldn't be at all like tories to be all about money. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Listened to Boris and his science guys yesterday and anyone can read between the lines and see what's happening here. 

Our government are taking a strategy of doing pretty much nothing to combat the spread because they want to develop "herd immunity"... Translation, we're just going to let the elderly and vulnerable suffer/die. There might be some science to it but that's cold, even for the tories. 

I have another theory though, they've done the sums and decided if they can fix the care crisis by wiping out the elderly and keep everyone else at work earning money that's preferable to the cost of fighting this thing... It wouldn't be at all like tories to be all about money. 

Makes you wonder if they have also been consulting Max Brooks.

The Redeker Plan in World War Z was to sacrifice a portion of the population so that others may survive.

But of course, we are talking about a viral pandemic, not...ahem...zombies.

6 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Well, it’s a bold strategy

ES8erMEWsAA35u-?format=jpg&name=large

A bold strategy you say? It's fine it's the British we're talking about..

I think there's an element of truth to the following not so funny history, which is to suggest that the bold strategy is actually just the reality that British go wherever they like whenever they like, however they like, even if it means a far reaching widespread distribution of harmful pathogens. As recorded by a British immigrant in America, British peoples did deliberately introduce biological warfare on Native American peoples after the Natives attempt to drive out British immigrants, the consequences were genocidal when you think about it. Even though reports and research will suggest that it's hard to differentiate whether the methods used by the British were efficient or whether the cause was a natural epidemic, it's strangely coincidental that a spiritual people who lived off the land and called America home for a minimum of 15,000 years is left for dead, just after a British guy documents that his fellow compatriots tried to deliberately infect the Natives. Next up, we have indigenous Australians, living off the land they have called home for 60,000 years strong, who are paid a visit by, the British! And consequently smallpox. The British really are nonchalant about the potential consequences of passing on pathogens in their successful attempts to turn entire continents into a colony, which I might mention have a tendency toward white power structures that employ what might as well be called modern day slavery tactics.

Massively racist rant, guilty, I'm just sick and tired, not with coronavirus, but with humanity being neglected and duped en masse. Please to any and all British people who are just innocently going about their day, and I suspect there may be one or two who frequent these parts, please pay my bullpoo no mind. I take issue with the world at times, and that's my problem, not yours. Please have a lovely day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AJ said:

I am probably late to the party on this, but could someone explain the bog roll situation to me?

Is it not just a case of it being an item in the household that you really wouldn't want to run out of, if you happen to be in a situation where you don't leave home for 7-14 days? Most folks in the UK don't have a bidet, and although some sections of the population use a squirty bottle full of water, the majority definitely don't.

I guess the same can be said for dry food goods like pasta. 

10 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I think there's an element of truth to the following not so funny history, which is to suggest that the bold strategy is actually just the reality that British go wherever they like whenever they like, however they like, even if it means a far reaching widespread distribution of harmful pathogens. As recorded by a British immigrant in America, British peoples did deliberately introduce biological warfare on Native American peoples after the Natives attempt to drive out British immigrants, the consequences were genocidal when you think about it. Even though reports and research will suggest that it's hard to differentiate whether the methods used by the British were efficient or whether the cause was a natural epidemic, it's strangely coincidental that a spiritual people who lived off the land and called America home for a minimum of 15,000 years is left for dead, just after a British guy documents that his fellow compatriots tried to deliberately infect the Natives. Next up, we have indigenous Australians, living off the land they have called home for 60,000 years strong, who are paid a visit by, the British! And consequently smallpox. The British really are nonchalant about the potential consequences of passing on pathogens in their successful attempts to turn entire continents into a colony, which I might mention have a tendency toward white power structures that employ what might as well be called modern day slavery tactics.

Massively racist rant, guilty, I'm just sick and tired, not with coronavirus, but with humanity being neglected and duped en masse. Please to any and all British people who are just innocently going about their day, and I suspect there may be one or two who frequent these parts, please pay my bullpoo no mind. I take issue with the world at times, and that's my problem, not yours. Please have a lovely day.

Don’t worry, with a Brit hating CV that strong there’s a job waiting for you as leader of the Labour Party. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, hogso said:

Is it not just a case of it being an item in the household that you really wouldn't want to run out of, if you happen to be in a situation where you don't leave home for 7-14 days? Most folks in the UK don't have a bidet, and although some sections of the population use a squirty bottle full of water, the majority definitely don't.

I guess the same can be said for dry food goods like pasta. 

I think a 12 pack of rolls should be enough to cover 7 to 14 days of isolation, unless they are considering 200 rolls of bog paper as a food source.

Edited by AJ
Maths

Bulgaria expected to declare a state of emergency today or tomorrow. The health system just can't/won't cope with this. There's a cluster in Sofia that will explode soon. 19 new cases (in one hospital over night).

I have a meeting today to implement home schooling via the internet. 

Minister Peter Dutton (controversial Australian home affairs minister) has tested positive, but the thing I found interesting was that it is official gov policy in that part of Aus that all people with a positive test be sent to stay in hospital rather than isolating at home. 

50 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

See, that’s you in the colonies being subject to fake news.

Over here, it’s the ones trying to break up ‘Britain’ that are considered nasty dangerous nationalists.

• Like 1

Â