Generic Virus Thread

villakram

It’s really difficult to frame deprivation by town or region, it really does come down to streets and estates. An obvious recent example being Grenfell, in Kensington’s boundary.

Organisations such as Sure Start will go by post code blocks to try and make sure they can concentrate on the streets they need to, and not be offering help to people that may be relatively well off, or just plain employed, or where parents have generally got through their own schooling successfully.

For anyone to try and reverse snob their claims of where is poor and where is not, or where is deserving of any sort of special treatment, that’s actually quite selfish and ignorant.

I went out this afternoon, to just get a few bits, milk, bread and the like that we'd run out of and was short dated on the last shop. I normally go to the garage, it's an M & S / BP one, so I can usually get what I'm looking for really easily, thee was a social distancing queue... 1 in / 1 out. This has never happened since lockdown (or ever abviously). I drove off to the Co-Op round the corner. They have a self policed 1 in / 1 out queue. Two older people in front of me, duly waiting until someone came out. I just said... "Have you checked to see how many people are inside?", The fella goes in and comes straight back out... "There's no-one in there but staff" :mrgreen:

But anyway... a social distancing queue at a petrol station just shows how busy it was out and most of them must have walked there as there were plenty of bays to park and the pumps we're not full either (they often are)

56 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Not wishing to undermine your early point (you're right that Hounslow definitely isn't posh), but I wasn't sure about this claim. Found this dataset which suggests Hounslow is more middling:

To be fair, I looked it up before I posted so I was being slightly disingenuous in my claim. I know it's smack in the middle but pretty much every London borough has nice bits and slightly less nice bits. Hounslow is one small, very very posh bit and the rest of it is dross. For the sake of clarity, I'm nowhere near the posh bit ;)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I don't see the problem, who wouldn't want to be enhanced?

I just have no words. How can so many people, many of whom are at least partially educated, believe such utter madness.

More insanity: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/anti-lockdown-protest-hyde-park-a4442461.html

I really can’t stand this lot. The 5g conspiracy theories wind me up the most. The thing is whenever I try to counter the arguments of the one or two people that I know to believe this bollocks they are always so quick to reply with patronising comments and refer to everybody as sheep! 

I’m all for having an open mind and listening to different arguments but some people’s minds are made up about this whole pandemic being about some new world order. There is just no reasoning with these people.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Definitely not, there’d be no point going back in when you don’t need a poo any more! 

Good analogy though, maybe it will get through to some of thick general public. 

I am laughing at that way more than I think I should be.  I think I've been giggling for a full 2 minutes now.

• Like 1

This is... interesting:

When the People’s Daily is warning of a “potential second wave” in China, it means there’s already a second wave in China. Lockdown is a pause button, not a solution.

Our government is trying to frame the reduction in the R0 as if we’re changing the behaviour of the virus, but we’re only limiting its ability to transmit. Out of lockdown the R0 remains 2.5 - 3.5 by most estimates. 

Masks, masks, masks. We can’t remain locked down forever and there’s no other way (yet) to control exponential spread except permanent lockdown, which is economic suicide.

I’d really like a journalist to raise this point: Why aren’t we setting up the infrastructure to make masks in UK?  

Edited by Awol
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Makes you wonder if all private schools are closed until September. It wouldn't surprise me for the "peasants" to be the sacrificial lambs for this bunch of toffs in charge. 

In the company I work for, the warehouse staff have always felt like the poor cousin to those who work in the offices behind the swipe card protected doors. Obviously, the senior management from behind those doors have always played that down. However, during this whole lockdown thing the warehouse staff have all been on site working full hours - some of them doing overtime to cover for this people off sick. Meanwhile, the office staff are either furloughed at home of working from home. 

I hate elitism. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Can't say I believe a word this guy says after his 'evidence' that a government department set up those fake nurse accounts failed to ever materialise...

8 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Can't say I believe a word this guy says after his 'evidence' that a government department set up those fake nurse accounts failed to ever materialise...

Yeah, i question his credibility but I actually believe him on this one. 

Â