Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Back to work diaries: what was it like for those who had to return after lockdown?

'Many workers unable to do their jobs from home filed nervously back into workplaces last week after Boris Johnson insisted they should return, and the government issued back-to-work guidance for previously dormant, non-essential sectors of the economy.

The Observer spoke to four workers in different sectors about their first days back in the midst of a still raging global pandemic, which is much more likely to claim the lives of low-paid or manual workers than middle-class professionals, according to new Office for National Statistics data.'

more on link: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/17/back-to-work-diaries-what-was-it-like-for-those-who-had-to-return-after-lockdown?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Tweet

They talk to a cleaner, a construction worker, a nanny and a guy who works at KFC. Safe to say none of them seem very happy to be back at work (and the nanny's environment sounds abusive even apart from the virus).

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s just not fair to compare the comprehensive system with Eton or Harrow.

The elite must be protected or there will be no one to lead us.

Gove says it's safe.

Are even the crowing Tory voters buying it now?

Economics and epidemiology in the time of COVID-19

So where do we go from here? The government claims that it is “following the science”, as we move towards a phased relaxation of the lockdown. ... we don’t want Ministers or the press simply to pick and choose which science they follow, or which disciplines they privilege.

For me, that means recognising that we are stronger and more useful together. We have a number of urgent tasks: presenting the consensus view within specific disciplines while being honest about where there is genuine disagreement or uncertainty, debunking those who would claim the imprimatur of science to push their own agendas, and most importantly working together across disciplines to help analyse and address the crisis and its impacts.

All this will be even more important during the next phase of this crisis.  Balancing the risks and benefits of relaxing the restrictions – and how we share, not just in an economic sense but more widely, the costs – raises a host of complex, interrelated issues. For example, what are the respective rights and responsibilities of government, employers and workers when we decide under what circumstances factories, offices, schools and workplaces can reopen?  The Prime Minister’s appeal to  "good old British common sense" will only go so far: making this work will require experts in industrial relations, lawyers, and education, just for starters.

Economists – I would say this, of course – have a particular responsibility, and a particular set of skills, that can help here.  In the aftermath of the financial crisis, I wrote that what economists brought to the analysis of public policy was not primarily economic forecasting or modelling, but rather useful conceptual frameworks: opportunity costs, general equilibrium effects, and causal relationships.  All these give us an advantage in integrating analysis of the wide range of difficult issues now in play – not just the short-term health and fiscal impacts, but the longer term impacts across dimensions ranging from children’s health and education to industrial structure and income distribution.  That doesn’t mean we’ll be able to give politicians – or the public – answers; indeed, it would be wrong for us to do so. But it will help them ask the right questions.

2 hours ago, Xann said:

Gove says it's safe.

Are even the crowing Tory voters buying it now?

Well if Pob the politician says it's safe then I can only assume all the schools are currently on fire and the fire is made of venomous snakes and scorpions.

I didn’t see today’s briefing but this is big news. I guess for it to be mentioned there is a level of confidence.

The Cambridge-based pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca will make 30 million doses of a coronavirus vaccine by September, if it's proved it works.

The drugs giant has signed a global licensing agreement with Oxford University to manufacture a potential vaccine, known as the 'Oxford vaccine.'

Business Secretary Alok Sharma revealed the news at the government briefing on Sunday and announced that a further £84 million in new funding would be made available to accelerate work towards finding a vaccine.

The Government has already invested £47 million in vaccine programmes at Oxford and Imperial College London.

Sorry, this content isn't available on your device.

He said: “This new money will help mass-produce the Oxford vaccine so that if current trials are successful we have dosages to start vaccinating the UK population straight away.”

Oxford University finished their first phase of human trials this week, with around 1,000 people having been vaccinated so far.

If the vaccine is successful, AstraZeneca would make up to 30 million doses available by September, and 100 million does in total.

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2020-05-17/cambridge-company-astrazeneca-to-make-30-doses-of-coronavirus-vaccine-if-it-works/

US and UK 'lead push against global patent pool for Covid-19 drugs'

Ministers and officials from every nation will meet via video link on Monday for the annual world health assembly, which is expected to be dominated by efforts to stop rich countries monopolising drugs and future vaccines against Covid-19.

As some countries buy up drugs thought to be useful against the coronavirus, causing global shortages, and the Trump administration does deals with vaccine companies to supply America first, there is dismay among public health experts and campaigners who believe it is vital to pull together to end the pandemic.

While the US and China face off, the EU has taken the lead. The leaders of Italy, France, Germany and Norway, together with the European commission and council, called earlier this month for any innovative tools, therapeutics or vaccines to be shared equally and fairly.

“If we can develop a vaccine that is produced by the world, for the whole world, this will be a unique global public good of the 21st century,” they said in a statement.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Genie said:

I didn’t see today’s briefing but this is big news. I guess for it to be mentioned there is a level of confidence.

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2020-05-17/cambridge-company-astrazeneca-to-make-30-doses-of-coronavirus-vaccine-if-it-works/

'if it works' should probably have a stronger emphasis there.

As is, the headline is basically 'drug company to produce lots of drugs if worthwhile'.

14 hours ago, Genie said:

It will have been mentioned as it is a distraction from the numerous failings of government. Even if trials are successful there is pretty much zero chance of a vaccine being available this year.

Coronavirus in the UK: Boris Johnson's promised workplace safety inspections 'don't exist'

Despite claiming spot inspections of workplaces such as building sites, manufacturing plants and food outlets will be taking place, the Prime Minister’s words are now being questioned after i discovered the Health and Safety Executive is not carrying out inspections and has no confirmed date to restart them. The HSE suspended inspections on safety grounds in late March.

In answer to a question on workplace safety measures from Labour MP Chi Onwurah following his Covid-19 strategy statement last Monday, Mr Johnson said: “We are going to insist that businesses across this country look after their workers and are Covid-secure and Covid-compliant.

"The Health and Safety Executive will be enforcing that, and we will have spot inspections to make sure that businesses are keeping their employees safe.”

However, when asked by i about the spot inspection a spokeswoman for the HSE said: “In line with government guidance to cease all but essential work that cannot be done outside of the home, minimising contact between individuals, HSE has paused all proactive inspections at this time to reduce any risk posed to our own staff and to members of the public.”

Instead of spot inspections, the HSE is encouraging companies to self-police safety measures and workers can report concerns via the group’s website.

After being asked by Downing Street to comment further this afternoon, the HSE added: “The PM was right to talk about spot checks as something that’s being looked at, moving forward. It is true that there was a pause during our active inspections during the lockdown but we’ve already stated that plans to enhance our regulatory approach further to the new Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy guidance and the additional funding are being developed.”

...more

So there will be inspections only not yet and we don't know when or what they will actually be and, until then, there will be 'self-policing'. Guffaw.

34 minutes ago, Chindie said:

'if it works' should probably have a stronger emphasis there.

As is, the headline is basically 'drug company to produce lots of drugs if worthwhile'.

I guess it depends on how you see your cup.

Successful trial of 1000 people moves to the next stage. Government have put things in place to allow large upscaling of production if it keeps progressing. Best case is vaccines in September (after previously reported as best case end of the year).

Certainly not a done deal, but encouraging news for me.

Would be great if we could be first to market and sell it to the Chinese for $1000 a dose.

Edited by Genie

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Coronavirus in the UK: Boris Johnson's promised workplace safety inspections 'don't exist'

So there will be inspections only not yet and we don't know when or what they will actually be and, until then, there will be 'self-policing'. Guffaw.

My other half's brother works for a company that have carried on working the entire time and practise no form of social distancing. He even bought a special mask and was told not to wear it. Now he's a bit OCD so he is probably going over the top, but it does genuinely sound like an issue and he's suffering with anxiety because of it and is thinking of handing his notice in and taking leave so he doesn't have to risk himself every day.

But he has had absolutely no luck in reporting them.

It seems it's one of those things where you have to have an incident of coronavirus to report them. If nobody's ended up getting it from that company then they don't want to know. And even if they do, you need a number of people to report it. One person on their own doesn't count (according to him)

This is anecdotal evidence, I can't say 100% that's everybody's experience. But he's shitting himself about it and has genuinely tried reporting them and it doesn't sound like a very reliable process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the vaccines themselves, I am absolutely not any sort of anti-vaxxer or conspiracy nut on the topic (Gates microchips and all that bollocks) but I'd be very cautious about taking a vaccine that has been rushed through trials without clear indications and evidence that the speeding up of the processes and stages has not adversely impacted upon the safety assessments.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

For the reasons expressed in the article linked above by @Straggler.

I wouldn’t have an issue charging China a big premium. The source of the virus, guilty of false/under reporting of the issue and in day to day business charge the rest of the world enormous fees to sell into its market. 

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

I wouldn’t have an issue charging China a big premium. The source of the virus, guilty of false/under reporting of the issue and in day to day business charge the rest of the world enormous fees to sell into its market. 

It wasn't the general populations fault though. And any premium cost on the Chinese government would then impact Chinese people all over their country. 

Why would you want to make innocent lives more miserable or difficult? This sort of stuff should be shared in a fair and compassionate way. Its a global pandemic, it shouldn't be an opportunity for powerful countries to flex their muscles. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It wasn't the general populations fault though. And any premium cost on the Chinese government would then impact Chinese people all over their country. 

Why would you want to make innocent lives more miserable or difficult? This sort of stuff should be shared in a fair and compassionate way. Its a global pandemic, it shouldn't be an opportunity for powerful countries to flex their muscles. 

That’s a beautiful picture of the world.
They charge every country and business in the world incredible tariffs to use their market. They have enormous financial reserves and could easily pay whatever was charged. I doubt very much it’ll filter down to the regular person in the same way the wealth doesn’t.

I agree on the poorer countries, they shouldn't be priced out. China being a special case.

If China developed a vaccine do you think they’d let us, and the other developed nations have it for cost price? Not a chance.

They we’re happy to sell us a load of shit tests that didn’t work for tens of millions of pounds.

Edited by Genie

Â