Generic Virus Thread

villakram

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

If it impacted the people of China then I’d agree, it it won’t. It wouldn’t touch the sides of their cash reserves and booming economy.

The chinese government don't exactly have the greatest human rights record, yet you think something like what you're suggesting won't impact the people of China? I think you're wrong. 

I'm not even buying the idea that if we charge a premium on any vaccine that it won't filter down as a cost to the general population in the country paying the premium.  It sodding will.  The rich will pay for early access and the rest will continue to suffer for longer than necessary.  It is morally objectionable to price gouge during a world wide pandemic.  If the USA get there first and refuse to share we will rightly be furious with them, the idea that we are at the forefront of an effort to not share the results of a potential vaccine is a national disgrace.  As a wise man once said.....

z8mzrhsmw0v31.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, Straggler said:

I'm not even buying the idea that if we charge a premium on any vaccine that it won't filter down as a cost to the general population in the country paying the premium.  It sodding will.  The rich will pay for early access and the rest will continue to suffer for longer than necessary.  It is morally objectionable to price gouge during a world wide pandemic.  If the USA get there first and refuse to share we will rightly be furious with them, the idea that we are at the forefront of an effort to not share the results of a potential vaccine is a national disgrace.  As a wise man once said.....

z8mzrhsmw0v31.jpg

i would hope that one side affect of a global pandemic is the realisation that we need to be more together globally and this nationalist bullshit we've been seeing in recent years means **** all. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

i would hope that one side affect of a global pandemic is the realisation that we need to be more together globally and this nationalist bullshit we've been seeing in recent years means **** all. 

The opposite will happen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Dunno. The places doing the worst are the ones with throbbers as leaders - Trump, Johnson, Brazil (Bolsanero), Putin.

It could lead to those types of bells being replaced by the opposite type - more consensual types. Merkel, Ardern, etc.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd choose the former and I'd be livid if our government chose the latter.

And as others have said, the latter would probably help to prolong the financial impact of this anyway due to China viewing us less favourably with trade deals and the like. Which will be especially important once we've driven off the Brexit cliff.

I think it’s clear China doesn’t care about us in the scheme of things. They won’t do deals with the US or the EU, we won’t be getting any favours.

Edited by Genie

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Dunno. The places doing the worst are the ones with throbbers as leaders - Trump, Johnson, Brazil (Bolsanero), Putin.

It could lead to those types of bells being replaced by the opposite type - more consensual types. Merkel, Ardern, etc.

That's what I hope. 

You'll never change the cult of fools who blindly follow those idiots but you'd hope the majority of people will see how badly these people have handled things. 

I'm actually embarrassed to be British when I see how we've handled this. Its shameful   

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

In living, let alone cultural, memory, the world threatened to destroy itself over what was basically nationalism writ large. And yet all it took was a extended wobble, and the blowhards with simple answers won.

That'll carry on for a while.

19 minutes ago, Straggler said:

z8mzrhsmw0v31.jpg

So if we are first to market and ramping up supply do you think we should send 99% of each weeks production overseas as we’re circa 1% of the worlds population?

1 minute ago, Genie said:

So if we are first to market and ramping up supply do you think we should send 99% of each weeks production overseas as we’re circa 1% of the worlds population?

No, that would be a daft thing to do.

We should share the formula and allow every one around the world to ramp up supply locally.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Exactly, as suggested by business secretary yesterday securing a potential 30m vaccines for the UK in September if the development goes well, and 100m overall (UK plus some spares).

1 minute ago, Straggler said:

No, that would be a daft thing to do.

We should share the formula and allow every one around the world to ramp up supply locally.

It’s a nice idea but would never happen.

Would it be in our national best interests if more than half of the universities in the country collapsed into bankruptcy because no students from China could come here, because we had made a vaccine too expensive?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Again, if by some miracle we are the first country to develop a working vaccine, it will absolutely be in our interests for other countries to have it at an affordable price as fast as possible. If you want to go on holiday at any point, or want anybody to be able to come here, or want to achieve any sort of international business, then you want to get as much of the world vaccinated as fast as possible.

This is true, but I’d be surprised if many governments passed up the opportunity for a working vaccine as long as it wasn’t obscenely out of their affordability.

Same for the Uk, if the US or China had a vaccine ready to go we’d buy it. Same goes for testing kits.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

It’s a nice idea but would never happen.

It's exactly what the bulk of the world is trying to do and what Britain and America are trying to stop happening.  There are some adults in the room who understand that it is good for all of us to have the vaccine world wide ASAP.  Trump and Boris are not amongst them.  We should be pooling results of all successful and unsuccessful attempt at a vaccine so we don't have teams around the world replicating others mistakes or going down dead ends that others have hit.  International cooperation gets us all protected quicker.  Hoarding the results will get a very small number of people very rich and delay the vaccine allowing loads more death world wide.

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Would it be in our national best interests if more than half of the universities in the country collapsed into bankruptcy because no students from China could come here, because we had made a vaccine too expensive?

I think too expensive is a leap slightly too far. What I’d probably rephrase it as get the best price possible from somewhere like China, rather than just offering it at cost price.

(let’s face it, they’ll reverse engineer it and copy it any way)

Edited by Genie

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

I just got a news alert that loss of smell and taste have been added to the list of symptoms people should self isolate with...

eerrrrr HELLO, have I woken up in March?

Yet more proof that the VT hive mind should be PM

• Like 1

Â