Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

You can walk in your house. You can walk earlier. Not many people work until 9pm.  Its just excuses

Its not 'punishing' thats very extreme wording. Keeping people extra protected.

Yes I'll just go for a 5 mile walk around my living room

We live in a 24/7 society plenty of people work all hours of the day

Anything that curtails the freedom and liberty of law abiding citizens is a punishment (and one that isn't due), it is not extreme wording.

I'm sorry Dem but quite frankly your ideas make no sense whatsoever

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Well just been down sutton park with my lad, felt pretty uncomfortable. Packed like a bank holiday hardly any social distancing, though it would be hard with the amount of people there, an not one I saw wearing a mask. I came out any walked back home on the pavement. So busy on the roads too, Mrs was shopping while we were out, she said it was chaos too in the supermarket a little bit more relaxed she said. So In reality I guess it's as good as back to normal, bar those who are furloughed.

God that's awful 

30 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yes I'll just go for a 5 mile walk around my living room

We live in a 24/7 society plenty of people work all hours of the day

Anything that curtails the freedom and liberty of law abiding citizens is a punishment (and one that isn't due), it is not extreme wording.

I'm sorry Dem but quite frankly your ideas make no sense whatsoever

Now your suggesting people walk miles at 9pm 😂😂😂😂

Bicks just stop 

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Well just been down sutton park with my lad, felt pretty uncomfortable. Packed like a bank holiday hardly any social distancing, though it would be hard with the amount of people there, an not one I saw wearing a mask. I came out any walked back home on the pavement. So busy on the roads too, Mrs was shopping while we were out, she said it was chaos too in the supermarket a little bit more relaxed she said. So In reality I guess it's as good as back to normal, bar those who are furloughed.

I met up with a mate in the local park yesterday for a couple of beers and a chat and it was fairly busy but people were social distancing.  My main problem came when I realised there weren't any toilet facilities open and I'd broken the seal.  There aren't really sufficient bushes or trees to have a slash without being seen so I had to go home a bit earlier than I was hoping.

32 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Sorry to wade in here but I do actually go for a long walk at 9pm most nights. By the time me and the missus have finished work and had tea, it’s about 9pm. So that’s the best time to go for a walk. Nowt wrong with that and if we couldn’t go out because of a curfew, then yes I’d see that as an inappropriate punishment. Just saying. 

. . . especially since such a curfew would be completely pointless.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I've been walking or running in Sutton Park every day and it's been far far busier this week. People didn't even wait for wednesday.

Before this week it could get busy but people were almost always walking or exercising. You might get the odd person or couple sunbathing or picnicing but generally it did seem like genuinely everyone was there for a walk or a run or whatever.

This week it's a free for all. Groups of people everywhere, clearly not all from the same house. Picnics, barbecues, games of cricket. All sorts. 

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I don't see the problem, who wouldn't want to be enhanced?

I just have no words. How can so many people, many of whom are at least partially educated, believe such utter madness.

More insanity: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/anti-lockdown-protest-hyde-park-a4442461.html

I think a lot of people, no matter the education, struggle with automatically thinking "is this information valid? What's the counter argument?"

We all do it in lots of different things to different degrees. I'm sure we're all guilty of doing it with Aston Villa related stuff one way or another.

Conspiracy theories can be very **** convincing. I remember back in the day being convinced 9/11 was a conspiracy because I'd seen one documentary that was convincing. The problem with them is that they can usually be very very easily debunked by the other side given half a chance. 
But if you don't have that scepticism of conspiracy theories or that part of your brain that says "maybe I should hear the other side of this argument before I decide" then you can be totally convinced. 

You only have to read about "Konspiration 58" to see the ultimate example.

Inly listening to one side of the story can be very very convincing

Now your suggesting people walk miles at 9pm 😂😂😂😂

Bicks just stop 

Lots of people exercise after 9pm, Dem.

I've been out for 5k runs twice in the past week after 9pm

Hounslow? Thats by Surrey west london outskirts 

I know where it is, Dem. I live there. As such I also know it’s one of the poorest boroughs in London. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think a lot of people, no matter the education, struggle with automatically thinking "is this information valid? What's the counter argument?"

We all do it in lots of different things to different degrees. I'm sure we're all guilty of doing it with Aston Villa related stuff one way or another.

Conspiracy theories can be very **** convincing. I remember back in the day being convinced 9/11 was a conspiracy because I'd seen one documentary that was convincing. The problem with them is that they can usually be very very easily debunked by the other side given half a chance. 
But if you don't have that scepticism of conspiracy theories or that part of your brain that says "maybe I should hear the other side of this argument before I decide" then you can be totally convinced. 

You only have to read about "Konspiration 58" to see the ultimate example.

Inly listening to one side of the story can be very very convincing

After the election last year I was watching some videos of reactions and analysis of it on YouTube, I clicked one of Owen Jones and his reaction to Labour's defeat when the results were coming in.  It had obviously been posted by a right wing account and basically posted so people could laugh at him but I was shocked out how quickly you could go from watching that to going into a blackhole of right wing bollocks.  So I can see why people can get hoodwinked into believing all sorts of shite and conspiracy theories and never come across the opposite view on social media especially.  That added to a lack of critical thinking among many people and yes, general stupidity as well creates this sort of thing.

As is it's clearly busier this week. I live on a busy road and the change this week from the last few has been stark. Which was always going to happen the second the advice became even vaguely more nuanced than 'don't go out'.

It also seems pretty clear that the infection numbers will, in turn, go up again. Especially when the figure used to work out when it was ok to relax the lockdown is exceedingly rough and with a margin of error such that if it's slightly out on the top end will see the infection rate keep growing.

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Look at Williamson's voting history and he seems a real scumbag that thinks only about the rich. He certainly doesn't seem too bothered about the younger generation. F**king toerag. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I met up with a mate in the local park yesterday for a couple of beers and a chat and it was fairly busy.

I did similar, the park was busier than it’s been previously (I’ve been pretty much everyday). Most were social distancing, but you’d still get the selfish ones who would walk two abreast on a pathway and not give you space to go past them

1 hour ago, choffer said:

I know where it is, Dem. I live there. As such I also know it’s one of the poorest boroughs in London. 

Not wishing to undermine your early point (you're right that Hounslow definitely isn't posh), but I wasn't sure about this claim. Found this dataset which suggests Hounslow is more middling:

https://data.london.gov.uk/blog/indices-of-deprivation-2019-initial-analysis/

Five boroughs had no LSOAs in the least deprived
quintile in ID2019 – Barking and Dagenham, Brent, Hackney, Islington, Lewisham
and Newham. In contrast, almost two thirds of LSOAs in Richmond-upon-Thames
ranked in the least deprived quintile.

Figure 3 National IMD2019 quintile distribution of LSOAs by London boroughs

boroughs-Indices-of-Deprivation-2019-Ini

You see the really pronounced inequality of places like Westminster, Kensington & Chelsea and Camden, and the bottom 8 or so boroughs are shockingly poor.

Think a few non-Londoners might be surprised how poor Islington is. And Hackney's gentrification isn't as widespread as people think.

Sorry this is probably one for the data thread, bit of a diversion... but thought a few people might find it interesting. Would probably be quite eye opening to see these figures overlaid with Covid-19 fatalities.

• Like 1

Â