Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Good for businesses, not very good at all for people is my very early impression. 

He did say this was the part primarily focused on business, the part directed at the workforce is being thrashed out with unions and other group over next few days, to be in place on Monday. 

You should be pleased, per our exchange last night the Chancellor has unzipped the Treasury’s dodger and lobbed it on the table - with the promise of more to come, literally an unlimited credit facility. They’re treating this like an existential war. 

Listening to BBC radio 4 tonight was very last night of the proms, The Lark Ascending followed by a speech that was like a Cassette Boy mash-up of Churchill and Vera Lynn. 

When even BBC presenters starts talking about putting the ‘Great’ back into Great Britain off the cuff... you know s*it’s about to get serious.

Edited by Awol
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

We're being prepped to potentially work from home for 2 months. Supposedly to the extent of having stuff installed at home to get us up and running. We're already set up to with remotely with our own kit. I'll believe it when I see it but looks like they aren't pissing about.

We're on a 3 week evaluation period. We're all used to working from home anyway. I brought home a monitor and docking station. 

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

They're trying to stretch their profits for as long as they can :lol: 

You could eliminate all risk by just having everyone work from home. That just shows that employee safety isn't their priority.

It was their priority when it was free. Or cheap. 

The thing is, this wouldn’t even be THAT damaging. I’m not advocating sending everyone home forever. Just each manager allowing their staff to work from home IF they don’t need to be in the office. If they need to be in then come in. 

They’re just obsessed with the implication that if you’re working from home you’re not working. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

We're being prepped to potentially work from home for 2 months. Supposedly to the extent of having stuff installed at home to get us up and running. We're already set up to with remotely with our own kit. I'll believe it when I see it but looks like they aren't pissing about.

Hope your company have good suppliers. I tried to buy a couple of spare laptops from my guys today and they just laughed. Said almost all of their customers have just woken up this week and decided they need to get set up for home working. 

4 hours ago, Genie said:

After a week or 2 of lockdown there will be riots and looting.

This is what worries me the most. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It was their priority when it was free. Or cheap. 

The thing is, this wouldn’t even be THAT damaging. I’m not advocating sending everyone home forever. Just each manager allowing their staff to work from home IF they don’t need to be in the office. If they need to be in then come in. 

They’re just obsessed with the implication that if you’re working from home you’re not working. 

I mean even if there will likely be a hit to productivity, this isn't really the time to be sweating buckets over it? Take the hit, it's a pandemic ffs. At least there's still business to be done, some other industries aren't so lucky.

• Like 3

Seems a lot of pubs and restaurants are taking the attitude that until we are told to close we will stay open. Whilst a lot of people are staying away you are still getting a few in. I think it is also what message it sends out to the say the old fella who lives over the road from the pub and sees people still going in and out and milling about outside having a fag. Same with the schools that you can have kids in class rooms with 30 odd other kids, in the play ground with 4 or 500 other kids, parents dropping them off and congregating in large numbers outside.

The government need to show clear leadership and not send out mixed half arsed messages.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We’ve been told we have the choice to wfh until further notice. I know some prefer to go in to the office though so will continue to do so. I may go in here and there but will probably drive rather than take the train. 

I'm pretty sure that it's not a choice that will be in your hands for too much longer. 

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

Looting what though, empty shops?

Army (including reserve units) is already getting the blokes into a deployment mindset, they’re ready to go and do whatever is necessary to support the civil power.

That might be delivering shopping to old Mrs Miggins, or clubbing any feral scumbags doing bad things to society. 

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

Pretty much the same here. Completely doesn’t need to happen though if people shop less selfishly.The supply chain is good, plenty for everyone to lead their normal weekly shop routine. (For now, at least). 

I was baking bread for almost 10 hours straight today, my hands are in bits from the amount I've been washing them.  I'm pretty sure supplies in the supermarkets will be ok for the forseeable future.  I'm just thankful I've got a job as my brother looks like he will struggle as a taxi driver at Gatwick.  I'm not sure what help he can get from these measures but he at least has a safety net of some inheritance money.  Sometimes I have to sit back and think how nuts this all is.

• Like 3

another question on the whole work from home thing.

I live in a 1 bed flat which doesn't have enough room to accommodate an office space, I have told them that I have a phoneline and a laptop so I could potentially do it but I would prefer to work in the office for as long as possible.

If the office was shut down and it was decided that I couldn't really work from home what would happen with my pay? I'm guessing it would either be a case of clattering my holidays or having to take unpaid leave, am I right in thinking that?

people are saying that they should be providing the equipment for people to WFH but that just isn't going to happen in the short space of time that would be required for them to set it all up and again I wouldn't have the space for it.

Edit: Perhaps it wasn't a double post.

15 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

another question on the whole work from home thing.

I live in a 1 bed flat which doesn't have enough room to accommodate an office space, I have told them that I have a phoneline and a laptop so I could potentially do it but I would prefer to work in the office for as long as possible.

If the office was shut down and it was decided that I couldn't really work from home what would happen with my pay? I'm guessing it would either be a case of clattering my holidays or having to take unpaid leave, am I right in thinking that?

people are saying that they should be providing the equipment for people to WFH but that just isn't going to happen in the short space of time that would be required for them to set it all up and again I wouldn't have the space for it.

This is what the government website says:

Working from home

I can’t work from home. There’s no space and the kids get in the way. Can my employer make me work from home?

You should discuss your situation with your employer. We would expect most employers and employees to reach a sensible compromise and come to a solution that best meets both parties’ needs, bearing in mind the latest public health advice.

Edited by snowychap
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm just thankful I've got a job as my brother looks like he will struggle as a taxi driver at Gatwick.  I'm not sure what help he can get from these measures but he at least has a safety net of some inheritance money.  Sometimes I have to sit back and think how nuts this all is.

I'm no expert, but if this goes on for months rather than weeks you'd think that some of these problems have sensible emergency solutions. 

It seems that it would be silly to have both the crisis of taxi drivers unable to earn due to lack of passengers and the crisis of vulnerable people stuck at home with no means to have supplies delivered.

Similarly, airline cabin crew sitting at home panicking about their rent, while hospital managers are worried about who they can find who is first-aid trained who can push a food / medicine trolley around a packed hospital ward...

Â