Generic Virus Thread

villakram

32 minutes ago, choffer said:

Hope your company have good suppliers. I tried to buy a couple of spare laptops from my guys today and they just laughed. Said almost all of their customers have just woken up this week and decided they need to get set up for home working. 

Some managers were told to go and buy a laptop and expense it I believe.

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

There's a lot of truth in this statement. But from my experience, it's dumb

I've been working from home for over a year now, and when I took the job I thought my life was going to be a bit of a jolly with being able to play the Xbox throughout the whole day, but what really shocked me is that the complete opposite happened. Because i'm not stuck in an office needing to listen to the same shitty conversations from colleagues every day, i'm so much more productive and happier. As there's no one watching me or the hours I work, I just work a lot more. Quite often working 12-14 hours a day and not having a care in the world. If someone told me to work 12-14 hours in my previous job whilst being stuck in an office, I would have told them to **** off. 

Indeed. And I’m not denying there could be a loss of productivity in some areas. But not as bad as the loss of productivity if half the office have coronavirus

The sad bit now is that the four year old can't understand why she can't come to grandma and granddad's house, and is rather upset. Skype will have to do.  :(

EDIT: Actually, I'm pretty upset about it too. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Sad 4

Just now, mjmooney said:

The sad bit now is that the four year old can't understand why she can't come to grandma and granddad's house, and is rather upset. Skype will have to do.  :(

Facetimed the grandson last night. Mainly because we don't do childcare these days.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

another question on the whole work from home thing.

I live in a 1 bed flat which doesn't have enough room to accommodate an office space, I have told them that I have a phoneline and a laptop so I could potentially do it but I would prefer to work in the office for as long as possible.

If the office was shut down and it was decided that I couldn't really work from home what would happen with my pay? I'm guessing it would either be a case of clattering my holidays or having to take unpaid leave, am I right in thinking that?

people are saying that they should be providing the equipment for people to WFH but that just isn't going to happen in the short space of time that would be required for them to set it all up and again I wouldn't have the space for it.

They should provide you with a WFH Risk Assessment to confirm this can be carried out as reasonably as practical. 

Exhibit A... 

009394254_1-c6a28607e7dacf646b8147e48dba

Edited by Kingman

16 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

There's a lot of truth in this statement. But from my experience, it's dumb

I've been working from home for over a year now, and when I took the job I thought my life was going to be a bit of a jolly with being able to play the Xbox throughout the whole day, but what really shocked me is that the complete opposite happened. Because i'm not stuck in an office needing to listen to the same shitty conversations from colleagues every day, i'm so much more productive and happier. As there's no one watching me or the hours I work, I just work a lot more. Quite often working 12-14 hours a day and not having a care in the world. If someone told me to work 12-14 hours in my previous job whilst being stuck in an office, I would have told them to **** off. 

Same. I've pretty much worked from home for the last 3 weeks due to being ill (not cv-19 I don't think!) and generally hating being around certain people and i'm far more productive! I don't have to listen to office politics and chat about who's **** who from strictly come dancing. 

Work is relentless at the minute though, could do 24 hours a day and still be further behind :( 

53 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Seems a lot of pubs and restaurants are taking the attitude that until we are told to close we will stay open. Whilst a lot of people are staying away you are still getting a few in. I think it is also what message it sends out to the say the old fella who lives over the road from the pub and sees people still going in and out and milling about outside having a fag. Same with the schools that you can have kids in class rooms with 30 odd other kids, in the play ground with 4 or 500 other kids, parents dropping them off and congregating in large numbers outside.

The government need to show clear leadership and not send out mixed half arsed messages.

This is kind of where I am. I have no problem with eating in restaurants, of going shopping or even sitting in a cinema. None of these come even close to being as risky to me personally, and my close family, as going in to work at a school every day with hundreds of parents on the playground and carrier monkey kids everywhere!

For me there is no point worrying about it. Doctors and nurses can at least go round with scrubs, gloves and masks on. If I'm not going to be protected by the government, then I don't really feel any urgency to stay away from individuals on a personal level. Obviously this overlooks the fact I would stay away purely to protect others because I'm likely going to become a risk to them. Actually I'm probably low risk, but plenty of teachers/school workers aren't. Teachers are being used as collateral damage more than anyone (medically, not financially).

23 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah were going to have to break this one to our 2 boys at some point this week too. Not just great grandma but both nanny and grandads. Nanny Val had stage 4 cancer last year. Uncle Michael who lives with Nanny Linda had Leukaemia 8 years ago. Not worth the risk for a few weeks! Sad but the way it has to be 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So. Our daughter decided she wasn't going to compromise her mum's health with childcare, so she told her boss she was going to work from home, went into the office and took her desktop PC home. Luckily she had a young (1 yr old) person to help her set it up: 

IMG-20200317-WA0007.jpg

ah dell inspiron, nice cheap little basic gaming rig if you chuck a cheap £70 low profile gt1030 in it, especially if you have one of the i7 ones

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Kingman said:
On 16/03/2020 at 15:16, Kingman said:

Public Health England Covid-19 Dashboard (I've only just come across this):

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/f94c3c90da5b4e9f9a0b19484dd4bb14 

8 in Brum 

8 in Wolves 

5 in Walsall 

4in Dudley 

1 in Sandwell 

6 hours on, 

15 in Brum 

11 in Wolves 

11 in Walsall 

6 in Dudley 

4 in Sandwell 

1 in Solihull 

22 hours on, Local and surrounds!.. 

20 in Brum 

18 in Wolves 

13 in Walsall 

10 in Staffordshire

9 in Dudley 

6 in Sandwell 

5 in Derbyshire

4 in Warwickshire

2 in Shropshire

1 in Solihull  

1 in Worcestershire 

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I need a cheap monitor to wfh as my laptop screen is tiny. It’s going to do my head in. Any recommendations?

Which area do you live in?

Â