Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Just now, leighavfc said:

Yeah I think so too, obviously nobody had mentioned it in here for some strange reason? 

Hopefully will help businesses through a difficult period of time and help protect as many jobs as possible! Little less worried after that!

The good/positive news often gets overlooked for some reason.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

if Sunak had given everyone free ice cream for a month VT would have moaned it wanted Apple pie

nothing is going to please everyone , the main thing is they are at least doing something and appear to be reacting to ever  changing circumstances  ,

Exactly this and that was the point I was making earlier!!!! Ahh well like you say cant please everybody. Clearly many just bash because of who's mouth it comes out of regardless of what it is.

Should hopefully secure as many jobs as possible and keep businesses from going under in this difficult period. Back to making sure we prevent this god damn virus from causing too much damage!!

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

No need, I said I appreciated your post, and I meant it. Who doesn't need some humour, even in these times, especially in these times!

@Sam-AVFC Melbourne (where I live) was meant to have it's comedy festival begin exactly a week from today, and would run for a month. Cancelled. How will we get our humour? If we're stereotyping like Australians do, and I represent that stereotype, we'd be f*@ed! You'd have to read a thesis on 'the methodology for the coming along of new person to whom which one has to greet - How to say hello' before you could actually say hi to someone! Lighthearted banter for everyone!?

How's that for a joke? Apologies if it's not very good, but I felt like I owed you one, in return for your joke.

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

If that is meant as a reference to me, that is not why I'm unimpressed with his measures.

It wasnt mate tbh, was in general. I posted about it earlier today too!

Edited by leighavfc
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The more I look at Sunak's measures the more useless they are. Nothing on renters, but a mortgage holiday for owners, despite 4 million people in rented households and usually in worse financial state than owners. No support for landlords who reduce or suspend rents. Evictions more likely than ever. 

Nothing for people on ESA, nothing for people on UC, nothing for people who've just lost their jobs, nothing for the disabled. 

No direct support in terms of pay either. 

Completely failed to measure up to the challenge. Pathetic really. 

It sounded typically poor.

I only caught the last half of it on the radio whilst in the car but all of this 'in the coming days' stuff isn't particularly reassuring or helpful.

Sure, the business loans/cash grants should help but there is plenty that has been missed out.

Flanders pointed out that there appears to have been nothing announced about a change to SSP, for example, which would probably be relatively easy to deliver (or 'operationalise' as Sunak appeared to be keen on saying).

• Like 1

And also, the one answer that stood out for me was the thing about vulnerable people being told to go and talk to their local authorities if in financial difficulties.

They're hardly flush with money. It sounded like the same buck-passing of the last decade but upon stilts.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

It sounded typically poor.

I only caught the last half of it on the radio whilst in the car but all of this 'in the coming days' stuff isn't particularly reassuring or helpful.

Sure, the business loans/cash grants should help but there is plenty that has been missed out.

Flanders pointed out that there appears to have been nothing announced about a change to SSP, for example, which would probably be relatively easy to deliver (or 'operationalise' as Sunak appeared to be keen on saying).

I'm being too harsh saying 'useless', because it's a lotta lotta money, and I acknowledge that, but without support for those most in need, it's half measures, and half measures targeted at those with more buffer to afford it. As you say, SSP should have been an easy comfort.

Maybe he'll be back with something genuinely comprehensive soon, but the clock is ticking. As we've already seen in this thread, people are being laid off now and a lot more will be soon, and I don't see anything to help them in this package.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm being too harsh saying 'useless'

Well, yes and no.

The point is that half measures appear to be the way of things for Johnson and his government and, with absolutely no apology to anyone complaining about people being critical of the government, that just isn't good enough.

Edited by snowychap
Edited out a snappy bit.
  • Like 1

Thought Sunak gave a good press conference, and the measures announced were good. I think he will have to go further at some point - but he was clear about that.

It is a bit unclear to me whether I'm eligible for the £10k grants or not, so would like to find out ASAP. Likewise, how will the govt deal with the inevitable late payments / non-payments that will be affecting all kinds of business. This isn't just a problem with pubs, leisure, hospitality, etc. Economy has been tanking for over a month now, and will be in bad shape for at least a year, you'd think.

I don't say this to criticise Sunak, but just a dose of realism.

Edit: also agree with @snowychap that there seem to be more people moaning about the moaning, than doing the actual moaning. The amount of grandstanding you see in the newspaper comments sections by people flying the flag for Boris the Great is a bit depressing. The govt will make mistakes, and you are still allowed to criticise them for it. I don't really get what the benefit is of keeping quiet - our enemy is a virus not a hostile govt, there's no propaganda benefit to glossing over everything.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Not sure I'm interpreting your post as is meant but I get a 'V for Vendetta' vibe from it.

Wrong end of the alphabet lovely.

It was an A for Annibyniaeth vibe.

All good.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

"But we told you to make sure everyone was prepared to work from home",

Kind of similarly confused where I work.

Last week got an e mail to take steps to prepare for some home -working. I did as asked. Now it's "all applications for remote working App are on hold because of people "panicking"". Jesus! It's the opposite. Right hand, meet left hand.

So anyway, people at high risk, with underlying health issues now told to talk to their manager about WFH, everyone else - carry on as normal, but no business travel, and take the normal precautions.

TBF there's part of my job I can't do from home, anyway.

42 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Nothing for people on ESA, nothing for people on UC, nothing for people who've just lost their jobs, nothing for the disabled.

From the guidance for employees (updated today, apparently), three of the questions and answers are:

What about if I have a zero hours contract?

You may be entitled to Statutory Sick Pay. Check with your employer if you’re unsure.

If you’re not entitled to Statutory Sick Pay, you may be able to apply for Universal Credit or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).

What about if I’m self-employed?

You can apply for Universal Credit.

What if the whole family has to stay at home and there’s no income coming in?

If no one is getting Statutory Sick Pay, the family can apply for Universal Credit.

So you can apply for something that is already struggling, has been heavily criticised for a number of reasons and has a built in lag of 5 weeks (advances notwithstanding - though they cause problems down the line).

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Wrong end of the alphabet lovely.

It was an A for Annibyniaeth vibe.

All good.

I should've read what's written underneath your profile name. Sorry I don't get it. All good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

My company are standing firm on 50% of the workforce being in one week and 50% the week after.

Their logic is if someone gets it one week, everyone who is off is protected.

I don't get the logic. I told them they're wiping out half the workforce for two weeks in that situation as everyone who is in the office would then potentially have it and be off for two weeks.

All this told to me in a meeting room where they were LITERALLY measuring how far people were sat from each other. It's a mixed message isn't it? Obsessively measuring that people are a safe distance form each other, but having more people in the office than necessary.

Why not just let managers decide who in their teams need to be in? What if people's kids are at home and they have no choice but to work from home?

It's **** dumb. They've pissed me off.

They're trying to stretch their profits for as long as they can :lol: 

You could eliminate all risk by just having everyone work from home. That just shows that employee safety isn't their priority.

• Like 1

We're being prepped to potentially work from home for 2 months. Supposedly to the extent of having stuff installed at home to get us up and running. We're already set up to with remotely with our own kit. I'll believe it when I see it but looks like they aren't pissing about.

Â