Generic Virus Thread

villakram

5 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Vallance has said there is ‘some evidence’ that amount of exposure can dictate severity. 

First time I’ve heard a medical professional say it? 

It's been speculated that this is why a lot of frontline medical personnel in China were hit hard by it.

It may also be the exhaustion factor knackering immune response.

Or both.

• Like 1

Just now, Sam-AVFC said:

I feel a bit bad now as my post was parody and you’ve come back with a really detailed well-thought out response!

No need, I said I appreciated your post, and I meant it. Who doesn't need some humour, even in these times, especially in these times!

• Like 2

So day one of working from home is going great. Been to work twice, Once to tell someone i have known for over 20 years who is like family that he no longer has a job and once to grab a landline phone as the mobile signal here is useless at the best of times but half the mobile networks seem to have completely collapsed today.

& all because someone ate a bat thousands of miles away last year 😕

Oh & tomorrow i am planning on giving up smoking so that will be some fun times locked in the house with the likely covid infected wife for the forseeable future

Edited by LakotaDakota

My day has mostly been trying to get everyone connected to services remotely, and explaining to management that after a day of WFH, we're a day behind.

"But we told you to make sure everyone was prepared to work from home", yeah, 45 minutes before the CEO told us to close all of the offices down.

My company are standing firm on 50% of the workforce being in one week and 50% the week after.

Their logic is if someone gets it one week, everyone who is off is protected.

I don't get the logic. I told them they're wiping out half the workforce for two weeks in that situation as everyone who is in the office would then potentially have it and be off for two weeks.

All this told to me in a meeting room where they were LITERALLY measuring how far people were sat from each other. It's a mixed message isn't it? Obsessively measuring that people are a safe distance form each other, but having more people in the office than necessary.

Why not just let managers decide who in their teams need to be in? What if people's kids are at home and they have no choice but to work from home?

It's **** dumb. They've pissed me off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Awol said:

Example: Oil is worth about the same as cat p*ss at the moment & the petro-monarchies rely on that income to buy off their own populations - who are overwhelmingly under 30 so likely to fair well with the virus. 

another one of my around the world anecdotes, but I was in Angola a couple of years back , they had oil and it was $100 a barrel and everything was good in the world , high rise blocks being built everywhere , streets being paved with gold .. suddenly oil hit something like $46 a barrel and it was costing Angola $70 a barrel to product it so Luanda is full of half complete buildings with dormant cranes next to them and every bank has an armed jeep with a 12.7mm gun on the back,  out the front  ... the oil was all in tankers off the Namibian cost waiting for the price to recover , chances are it's still there now !!

some bigger oil nations might ride it out , but the smaller ones are going to be royally ducked

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't get this Johnson not being firm on people not going to pubs and restaurants etc. He has again been wishy washy about it. I have driven past a few pubs today. Few cars on the car park, people milling outside having a fag. 

2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I don't get this Johnson not being firm on people not going to pubs and restaurants etc. He has again been wishy washy about it. I have driven past a few pubs today. Few cars on the car park, people milling outside having a fag. 

His dad won't let him. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

My company are standing firm on 50% of the workforce being in one week and 50% the week after.

Their logic is if someone gets it one week, everyone who is off is protected.

I don't get the logic. I told them they're wiping out half the workforce for two weeks in that situation as everyone who is in the office would then potentially have it and be off for two weeks.

All this told to me in a meeting room where they were LITERALLY measuring how far people were sat from each other. It's a mixed message isn't it? Obsessively measuring that people are a safe distance form each other, but having more people in the office than necessary.

Why not just let managers decide who in their teams need to be in? What if people's kids are at home and they have no choice but to work from home?

It's **** dumb. They've pissed me off.

I think tell them to **** off.

(Accentuate the F and the K so you really spit in their face as you say it.)

Edited by KentVillan

The more I look at Sunak's measures the more useless they are. Nothing on renters, but a mortgage holiday for owners, despite 4 million people in rented households and usually in worse financial state than owners. No support for landlords who reduce or suspend rents. Evictions more likely than ever. 

Nothing for people on ESA, nothing for people on UC, nothing for people who've just lost their jobs, nothing for the disabled. 

No direct support in terms of pay either. 

Completely failed to measure up to the challenge. Pathetic really. 

• Like 4

Just now, Genie said:

Good news I think. 
Hopefully means UK automotive can ride this out (selfishly).

Yeah I think so too, obviously nobody had mentioned it in here for some strange reason? 

Hopefully will help businesses through a difficult period of time and help protect as many jobs as possible! Little less worried after that!

Â