Generic Virus Thread

villakram

All this buying laptops to work from home. Would it not be easier to just link your home computer laptop to the one in the office?

I’m presuming most people now have some form of computer And internet at home?

Just on the WFH thing, was tasked end of last week with setting up 20 odd office staff so they can remote work - some already could as they have laptops, others use desktops and some have VDI boxes. 

Monday came and I had arranged for a number of the staff to bring their devices in on Wednesday (tomorrow) so I could set them up. However, after Boris Johnson’s update yesterday evening, it became apparent that I would need to get them all sorted today, which, I had booked off for my daughters 2nd birthday. 

Got in for 9 and was done by 12, teaching people how to remote connect to their work comp is a bit of a nightmare! 

10 minutes ago, Xann said:

Imperial College

Review of current govt strategy.

A proper paper. If you can be arsed with it? It will answer questions.

So they are siding with the governments plan on this then from what that document says. Interesting really considering many think we have it wrong and what other countries are doing. I dont have a particular view of it as I have not much understanding apart from just reading that in all honesty. Good read though and hopefully we have it right!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Walsall area. I’ve checked Amazon and there’s non  currently available! 

I have one that I could have let you borrow but you aren't near me and in all fairness it's not worth the trip for it. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

All this buying laptops to work from home. Would it not be easier to just link your home computer laptop to the one in the office?

I’m presuming most people now have some form of computer And internet at home?

Exactly what I'll be doing if it comes to it. I already do some overtime at home and have on a couple of occasions WFH doing just this

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Exactly what I'll be doing if it comes to it. I already do some overtime at home and have on a couple of occasions WFH doing just this

Yeah I do a fair bit from home but on the presumption it’s likely to become more permanent I’ve just today keifed one of the better screens from the office.

....which reminds me, it’s still in the boot.

The economy is grinding to a halt and might stay inert for months. people are saying a recession is coming. But if there is NO economy, a major depression is coming. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

So they are siding with the governments plan on this then from what that document says. Interesting really considering many think we have it wrong and what other countries are doing. I dont have a particular view of it as I have not much understanding apart from just reading that in all honesty. Good read though and hopefully we have it right!

@HanoiVillan posted about the study yesterday:

23 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Imperial College study on likely outcomes makes for bleak reading:

And also referred to the thread from Alex Wickham here:

23 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

By the way, the context of that post is this tweet:

. . . and the damning words 'in the last few days'.

Wickham's article says:

The UK only realised "in the last few days" that attempts to "mitigate" the impact of the coronavirus pandemic would not work, and that it needed to shift to a strategy to "suppress" the outbreak, according to a report by a team of experts who have been advising the government.

The report, published by the Imperial College COVID-19 Response Team on Monday night, found that the strategy previously being pursued by the government — dubbed "mitigation" and involving home isolation of suspect cases and their family members but not including restrictions on wider society — would "likely result in hundreds of thousands of deaths and health systems (most notably intensive care units) being overwhelmed many times over".

...rest on link

Edited by snowychap
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Bog roll gone, kitchen towel piled up to the rafters. Well, if you were genuinely concerned, surely you’d take the kitchen roll?

Not at all to be recommended. Fatberg issues according to the water companies.

4 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

photo isn't from today but still rather amusing i guess.

Imigine reuters probably had a few of their own sat a couple of feet away

W8UXh2S.jpg

Are you sure its not the right photo?

How have you found that out?

I’m asking because I have a tendency to believe Reuters with minimal checking.

Just now, chrisp65 said:

It’s how strangely specific the shortages are.

Bog roll gone, kitchen towel piled up to the rafters. Well, if you were genuinely concerned, surely you’d take the kitchen roll?

Morrisons today, I called in after work, no pasta, no rice, absolutely stacks of choices of couscous. No baked beans, vast array of kidney beans, borlotti, mixed beans, chick peas...

The panic appears to be mostly amongst people that have never watched Ready Steady Cook.

mad isn't it, on the rice thing there seems to be none anywhere unless you want the uncle bens microwave stuff which seems to be on offer in loads of places at £2 for 3 packs and nobody is buying it. Same with the kitchen roll here, towers of it sat at the end of every single empty bog roll aisle. Worst case just find one of the cheapo supermarket places like heron foods that do all the supernoodle things for 6 for a quid and giant king pot noodles for 65p and stock up on a few packs of those. Sure it isn't exactly the healthiest diet but they are handy warm snacks that aren't going to go out of date and don't take up valuable fridge/freezer space

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s how strangely specific the shortages are.

Bog roll gone, kitchen towel piled up to the rafters.

Not round here; pretty much everything made of paper gone out of my local Sainsbury's this afternoon. I'll be wiping my arse on birthday cards soon 😞

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Not at all to be recommended. Fatberg issues according to the water companies.

Yes of course not recommended, but given a choice of that or the cat.

It suggests to me that even the people panic buying know there isn’t really a panic.

Which is doubly moronic.

Edited by chrisp65

Â