Generic Virus Thread

villakram

4 minutes ago, JB said:

That could come in really useful for a good mate of mine who runs an independent pizza place in Cardiff. He’s been pretty stressed to say the least but I’ll forward that to him. Thanks for posting 👍🏻 

There's more info here:

Press release

Government to grant permission for pubs and restaurants to operate as takeaways as part of coronavirus response

Currently, planning permission is required for businesses to carry out a change of use to a hot food takeaway. The government has confirmed regulations will be relaxed to enable businesses to deliver this service without a planning application.

The government has confirmed the relaxations to planning rules will be put in place as soon as possible to provide reassurance to businesses and enable them to start providing takeaways to people quickly.

The government will introduce a time limited permitted development right through secondary legislation (negative SI) to allow the temporary change of use of a pub (A4 - drinking establishment) and a restaurant (A3 – restaurants and cafes) to a hot-food take away for a period of up to 12 months only.

Businesses will be required to tell the local planning authority when the new use begins and ends.

...more

• Thanks 1

UK manufacturers to regear factories to build ventilators for NHS Vauxhall and Airbus to 3D-print parts in ‘wartime’ drive to make 20,000 ventilators in weeks

UK manufacturers such as Vauxhall and Airbus are planning to 3D-print parts for ventilators to treat coronavirus patients, as part of a “wartime” effort to

build thousands of medical devices that will be overseen by a management consultancy.

More than 60 companies began responding on Tuesday to a request from Boris Johnson, made during a conference call on Monday evening, to help produce 20,000 ventilators in as little as two weeks.

When this is all over and the weaknesses of hyper-globalised supply chains have been brutally exposed, this will give food for thought to many firms.

Knocking up 20,000 ventilators in 2 weeks would be quite something. Training so many new medical staff might not be quite so simple, but that would be a good problem to have. 

’Mon the boys (& girls, I’m sure). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

The **** annoying thing is, I’d love to walk through deserted cities.

Couple of friends of mine are in NYC atm, and they say it's really eerie, everywhere deserted. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Can I just point out I did this joke 3 days ago , though I went with Bake off over RSC

Credit where credit is due you told it with more panache but If this wins post of the year i want a mention in your acceptance speech  :)

‘My’ first stab at it included Masterchef, but I thought it looked a bit condescending.

Ready Steady Cook had a better man of the people vibe.

People probably didn’t realise Bake Off was still a thing.

22 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The One Show was strange this evening. No studio audience, Alex Jones alone on the sofa, and Matt Baker working from home in his living room. 

I’m looking forward to my wife’s face when Danny Dyer does a 30 minute monologue sat on his tod in the Queen Vic. 

45 minutes ago, Awol said:

One aspect of this crisis that hasn't received much attention (and shouldn't now, but should when it's mostly over) is the state of the country's civil contingency planning. There have been four or five global pandemics related to somewhat similar viruses just in the last 20 years, and pandemics appear to be becoming more frequent, possibly due to some combination on globalisation, overpopulation and global warming. Yet despite this, we cannot have considered a virus attacking the respiratory system to have been a particular threat, as evidence by the fact that we don't seem to have a single factory that knew how to make ventilators, and had a chronic shortage of suitable masks.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I wonder how many pages this thread will get to before it drops off the first screen? 

I'd take x the current number by 10 now but imagine that is wishful thinking.

Edited by markavfc40

19 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

One aspect of this crisis that hasn't received much attention (and shouldn't now, but should when it's mostly over) is the state of the country's civil contingency planning. There have been four or five global pandemics related to somewhat similar viruses just in the last 20 years, and pandemics appear to be becoming more frequent, possibly due to some combination on globalisation, overpopulation and global warming. Yet despite this, we cannot have considered a virus attacking the respiratory system to have been a particular threat, as evidence by the fact that we don't seem to have a single factory that knew how to make ventilators, and had a chronic shortage of suitable masks.

Pandemic flu has been identified as a Tier 1 national security threat since 2010. PHE & the relevant devolved authorities have been planning for it since then.  

Each of the four home nations has a warehouse stockpile of pandemic response kit,  so I can’t explain why we’re short of PPE.

The lack of of critical care nurses and ICU capacity lie primarily at the door of Osborne & Cameron. They took astonishing risks with national security in many areas and rode their luck to enforce austerity. It could have been exposed in any number of potential crises, but they got safely away from office before the chickens came home to roost. 

That said, it’s been a good day. A loud and clear commitment to save the economy; a promise of the same within days for the workforce; what seems like a credible plan to mobilise our undoubted engineering expertise  to address the ventilator shortage, and the French threatening to ban entry for British nationals.

Given the context of what’s coming, we’re doing okay. Let’s bank that and see what happens tomorrow.

Edited by Awol
  • Like 1

Seattle doing live trials on humans with a vaccine and the Aussies have discovered how the bodies immune system kills the virus which also aids producing a vaccine 

sounds promising 

edit - seems the Seattle trial will be at least a year before they have concluded !!!

Edited by tonyh29

11 hours ago, bickster said:

Just thinking out loud but when we come out of the other side of this. World travel is going to be completely different. Airlines are going to go bust, budget airlines might no longer exist, foreign holidays might be a once in a decade experience...

Kinda linked but Venice is reporting crystal clear waters as a result of the lack of tourism ... be interesting to see if they can keep some form of restriction on numbers visiting and keep it that way once this all goes away 

54 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I wonder how many pages this thread will get to before it drops off the first screen? 

No idea. But @limpid might consider renaming the thread Covid-19 Pandemic to reflect the dire seriousness of it.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 2

Â