Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Operation Last Gasp - Boris Johnson joked

Participants with knowledge of the call said the government wants to have the ventilator push 'on stream' within the next fortnight. 

It was claimed by one person who reportedly participated in the call that Mr Johnson had 'joked' the coordinated effort to build the machines could be known as 'Operation Last Gasp'. 

Daily Mail

I don't think this is the right situation for bad joke. 

1 minute ago, Kingman said:

Operation Last Gasp - Boris Johnson joked

Participants with knowledge of the call said the government wants to have the ventilator push 'on stream' within the next fortnight. 

It was claimed by one person who reportedly participated in the call that Mr Johnson had 'joked' the coordinated effort to build the machines could be known as 'Operation Last Gasp'. 

Daily Mail

I don't think this is the right situation for bad joke. 

I'm all for dark humour. 

But with people's lives and jobs on the line in the light of a global crisis, maybe not.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

Very quick, genuine question guys. Are people who are panic buying/ hoarding/ stocking up doing so because a) they think the shops are going to run out of food and not restock in the long run or b) in order to be able to stay at home and not interract with people going forward?

In my case, the latter. There's plenty of food in the USA. For now, anyway.

44 minutes ago, Awol said:

Yep, the implications are enormous.

Example: Oil is worth about the same as cat p*ss at the moment & the petro-monarchies rely on that income to buy off their own populations - who are overwhelmingly under 30 so likely to fair well with the virus.

Not to mention a lot of these countries got their governmental loans in dollars. Oil prices dive and everyone flees to safe currency, i.e. dollar, euro or yen. 

36 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

I was just thinking, if you wanted to make a bit of money, start thinking of ways to make money from pregnancy and new born babies. I'd be willing to bet once this all blows over, and people start going out into the world again, there may be a bit of a baby boom! 

My cousin is due to give birth in May, when hospitals are projected to be teeming with CV patients. She's considering home birth with a midwife.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I'm all for dark humour. 

But with people's lives and jobs on the line in the light of a global crisis, maybe not.

Yeah same here mate,  Im all for the craic but for me that comment is totally inappropriate give current circumstances.

Dunno maybe i'm being over sensitive?   

Just now, Kingman said:

Yeah same here mate,  Im all for the craic but for me that comment is totally inappropriate give current circumstances.

Dunno maybe i'm being over sensitive?   

It's not like he's got a track record of making inappropriate comments...

• Like 2

Russia blames BRITAIN for the coronavirus outbreak

Russian state media has blamed Britain for the global coronavirus pandemic.

Kremlin-backed media has broadcast propaganda which states Covid-19, the new form of coronavirus, was created as a tool for the benefit of the UK.

As Britain continues to fight the pandemic rapidly gripping the world, outrageous slurs in Russian media include that: 

• The British 'smeared something in Wuhan' in the same way that they 'smear[ed] nerve agent on Skripal's door handle'; 
  • The pandemic was intentionally timed with Britain's exit from the EU to enhance its global status;
  • Porton Down, the Salisbury laboratory at the centre of the Skripal Novichok scandal, 'patented a vaccine' for Covid-19; 
  • 'There is a special operation ongoing' related to the virus whose 'players are the British-American Alliance'; 
  • Covid-19 was accidentally created as a bioweapon in 2015 at the Pirbright Institute in Woking;
  • Coronavirus is an attempt to gain access to Chinese markets, because 'Churchill…said England doesn't have friends or enemies… only business interests'.

Daily Mail

Now that's really sick joke!.. 

Edited by Kingman

Tbh, it's the kind of thing I could see someone posting on here, and although some people would be offended, I'd find it quite funny.

From the **** Prime Minister though? I **** despise that man. Have some **** decorum you useless sack of shite. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Tbh, it's the kind of thing I could see someone posting on here, and although some people would be offended, I'd find it quite funny.

From the **** Prime Minister though? I **** despise that man. Have some **** decorum you useless sack of shite. 

These last few years have shown me there’s lots of stuff I’d generally find amusing that when done by world leaders is downright depressing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

These last few years have shown me there’s lots of stuff I’d generally find amusing that when done by world leaders is downright depressing.

Just locker room banter mate. "Your nan's going to die, lol". 

• Haha 1

Our capability to test for covid 19 must be diabolical. If someone who works within the NHS live with a family member who becomes symptomatic then the NHS have put provisions in place for that NHS worker to move into a hotel and then continue working unless they get symptoms. This is coming from the select committee questioning the NHS chief executive etc.

Edited by markavfc40

5 hours ago, Rodders said:

**** hell. 

sounds like my wedding in 2 months has no chance of happening then :( I know it would be the right thing to do to cancel etc and the consequences for other people are much more severe, but this is a real word removed. 

Girl I work with went on vacation for the next 2 weeks to get married in Africa. She got stopped in London and is now going to be sent home and self isolate for 2 weeks while working from home. Really sucks.

3 minutes ago, Awol said:

Darker the situation, darker the jokes. And if there’s one group of people Johnson likes making jokes about...

That's genuinely the first thing to make me properly laugh out loud all week. 

2 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Don’t worry, we’re all likely to forgive stereotyping from Australians as we understand your racism is genetically ingrained.

I appreciate your post, but I see Australians as a people who are learning, at times the hard way, that we need to work together, in order to live together. Read her history, a place of the genocide of a people who called her home for 60,000, who to this day face adversary, as opposed to prosperity in that home. Founded and built on the labour of criminals, who may not of necessarily committed a crime, and if they had, it might've been stealing bread, or something to maintain, while the rich miners who had invested in acquisition of the gold profited, with one town of 80 square kilometers saw 50 tonnes of gold collected in 40 years, these miners went on to establish a parliament. Over the years, immigrants and refugees came to Australia to fulfill the needs for labour, to populate in the event of invasion during the wars, then eventually as a place of asylum and refuge, probably for many more reasons, but the Gold Rush didn't last forever, and not everyone saw a slice of the pie. As a result of the Gold Rush, the demand for labour saw Melbourne offer the highest wages in the world, and that's why people came here, for a 'fair go' (common phrase used here, like 'g'day mate' and 'fair dinkum'). To this day, we offer at least double the wages for apprenticeships, and double the wages (as the UK does) for the unemployed, to the people who are doing it toughest, the hard working backbone of the people, and the people who go without.

Edited by A'Villan

Â