Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

**** me talk about a lack of leadership. Advising against social contact in pubs, restaurants etc but not closing them. Reliant on people taking the decision themselves.

Alot to criticise him for but what is he suppose to say? Everyone close and watch the economy plummet and all pubs go out of business. There is no right answer at this point

I thought he did well in updating us personally.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

indeed , far better that we trust twitter and podcasts :)

If I were to tweet a quote by an expert in the field would the credibility of the original statement be hurt just because some clueless dickhead posted it?

• Thanks 1

Wife was feeling a bit rough yesterday, Sent home from work today as she developed a temperature & sore throat. This apparently means i now have to work from home for the rest of the week now too.

Off to paint & red X on the door,  It has begun...

• Sad 1

So at what point will offices be shut down? I get that they want people to work from home but I can't do that, a lot of people at work seem to think that the entire office will be closed completely, I just can't see that happening, they'll get as many people as they can working from home and then the rest will just work from the office as normal just with fewer people there to spread the virus.

Whats the situation in Italy, when they say lockdown do they mean that they are literally sat at home not going to work?

I dunno, I just find that scenario difficult to imagine.

For what its worth I'm perfectly happy just going into work as normal at the moment, self isolation is sounding pretty good though.

Edited by leemond2008

15 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

indeed , far better that we trust twitter and podcasts :)

Twitter is a medium. Lots of experts use it. Nothing inherently wrong with it.

My point wasn't about Vallance's expertise, anyway. I just feel he's fallen into the trap of trying to present an optimistic outlook, whereas Chris Whitty seems more open about how bad things are. I trust Whitty more than Vallance. It's just my interpretation of the way they have presented facts and strategies. I wasn't claiming that they should be ignored, or that we should follow Piers Morgan's Twitter suggestions.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Tbh I think they've done the right things so far.  Obviously I'm not an expert and history might judge them harshly eventually but they've been clear at every stage and protecting the economy for as long as possible is necessary imo.

The lack of testing is a tough one to justify, though. All the countries that have handled this well have done extensive testing in order to find out where the virus is spreading, isolate those areas, etc.

There's also the impact on people's mental health of not knowing whether they have a potentially fatal coronavirus or a run-of-the-mill cold.

With more widespread testing, people would actually be able to interact more with each other, if they have tested negative.

(Btw, I don't think the CMO or CSA are leading on this testing point. I think the govt simply lacks the resource, and has imposed this restriction on them.)

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

If I were to tweet a quote by an expert in the field would the credibility of the original statement be hurt just because some clueless dickhead posted it?

I guess for consistency we'd have to say that your expert has gone native to his paymaster  and is acting like more of an anti- Govt spokesman and not trust him

Vallance and Whitty are in a better position on this that most people , If people think they are just playing lip-service to Johnson then they should go see that nice Chris fella who has just unexpectedly had a bridge come available

there is no possible way there are only 1500 people with it/who have had it in the uk, you can probably multiply that by 100 at least, No testing unless you are in hospital means nobody has a clue. Could be 5 million people with it if the symptoms are as mild as being reported by people like Arteta. Same with spain & some of the other countries, the simple maths alone on the number of footballers that have tested positive doesn't really work on such low numbers of cases

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

Just now, LakotaDakota said:

there is no possible way there are only 1500 people with it/who have had it in the uk, you can probably multiply that by 100 at least

a poster a bit earlier said he heard on a podcast it was muliply by 500

herein is part of the problem  , people are speculating rather than working with facts

Just now, tonyh29 said:

I guess for consistency we'd have to say that your expert has gone native to his paymaster  and is acting like more of an anti- Govt spokesman and not trust him

Vallance and Whitty are in a better position on this that most people , If people think they are just playing lip-service to Johnson then they should go see that nice Chris fella who has just unexpectedly had a bridge come available

But you can see the difference between working for a health organisation and being a political appointee, right?

Obviously you have to exercise judgement when reading anything (this isn’t exclusive to Twitter), but I’d think it’s far more likely that an expert appointed by the government has reason to mislead than someone working for The WHO or an equivalent organisation.

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

herein is part of the problem  , people are speculating rather than working with facts

Vallance said the number he stated on Thursday they thought had it, 10,000, would have doubled every day since then. That takes you to 160k.

Maine has really just one hospital that is considered good, and it's pretty small. They've already had a shortage of rooms and beds well before any of this. I shudder to think of how all the little rinky dink regional hospitals are going to cope. 

Just now, tonyh29 said:

Correct, but when you have wide confidence bounds, and a huge imbalance of risks (i.e. risk of hypercaution is a bit of lost money, risk of complacency is death) the sensible thing is usually to assume the worst and then be pleasantly surprised later on.

I appreciate at a system level the risks are harder to balance, since economic recession will have serious consequences. (This is the horrible challenge facing political leaders.) But on an individual level it really makes sense to take this extremely seriously, and then hope that you overreacted.

There is no prize for being the freewheeling worry-free zone, apart from bragging rights.

• Like 1

Yeah this doesn't sit right with me. Government piss poor leadership.

Also seeing famous people look fine will help the panic.

Edited by StefanAVFC

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

That was actually based upon global statistics and mats. Still not trustworthy, but there you go. 

Â