Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Welcome news over here to help get through the upcoming shut down

The Irish government announced it was establishing a Pandemic Unemployment Payment to help people who have lost work because of the coronavirus outbreak.  

The payment of €203 per week will be available, for a six-week period, to all employees and the self-employed who have been affected by the seizing up of economic activity. 

https://www.thejournal.ie/coronavirus-ireland-5048553-Mar2020/

I'm bracing myself for some tough times at work. Working for an aerospace company, obviously the airlines are going to be hit hard and that has a knock on effect all the way down the chain.

I don't think my job would be at risk, but who knows at this point?

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

We’ll be seeing hot tubs in council house back gardens before too long.

On a serious note, it’s an excellent move by him.

Was it just for businesses? 

Or everyone?

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The cynic in me thinks they haven't TOLD pubs and restaurants etc to close because it will avoid them being liable if they go out of business or try to claim anything. Don't even know if that's how it works or will work, just the first thing I thought

100%.

'Party of business'

Maybe the party of insurance companies but that's it

17 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Two of my friends have it. One got it at work, and then passed it onto their partner. One of them is pretty ok, the other is sweaty and tired and getting progressively worse. 

Sorry to hear that. I hope they both recover well. 

24 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

That will really help the people out, good on him.

Boris will you be doing something similar? Boris: Well... piffle, waffle.. statutory sick pay.. wobble... wibble.. universal credit or something. 

Its only for business at this stage so not really a direct comparison to sick pay and universal credit , not even sure it will “help the people “

France is going  to total lockdown as of tomorrow lunchtime , guess we will see what they do for individuals shortly 

Edited by tonyh29

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The cynic in me thinks they haven't TOLD pubs and restaurants etc to close because it will avoid them being liable if they go out of business or try to claim anything. Don't even know if that's how it works or will work, just the first thing I thought

It's possible that one reason may be that they are expecting widespread non-compliance, and if it is 'the law' right away, then 'the law' might risk looking silly. I imagine that the logic is probably that if you ratchet up in stages, it's easier to get buy-in from the public, and as I think we've seen clearly over the last few days, there has been very little buy-in from the public so far.

None of that is any consolation for hospitality and leisure workers - or business owners - in what is likely to be a shitty 48 or 72 or whatever hours until the 'legally forbidden' stage.

Or maybe I'm wrong, I'm just guessing after all.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

On the whole I agree  ... but my friend from school worked for him for 25 years ( she was air crew so not exactly high up the food chain ) ...during that time her brother broke his back , Branson paid for all his treatment and then gave him 2 weeks at Neckar island all covered to help with his rehab... from what she has told me , I’m  given to believe he is full of gestures like this to his staff

which doesn’t explain why he’s such a bellend elsewhere 

Just a nice guy who likes looking after his air hostesses

57206512.jpg

167250117.jpg

147760758.jpg

(I'm joking - it's actually quite interesting to hear that anecdote, and does put him in a different perspective. But doesn't explain why he's been so heartless about the current situation.)

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's possible that one reason may be that they are expecting widespread non-compliance, and if it is 'the law' right away, then 'the law' might risk looking silly. I imagine that the logic is probably that if you ratchet up in stages, it's easier to get buy-in from the public, and as I think we've seen clearly over the last few days, there has been very little buy-in from the public so far.

None of that is any consolation for hospitality and leisure workers - or business owners - in what is likely to be a shitty 48 or 72 or whatever hours until the 'legally forbidden' stage.

Or maybe I'm wrong, I'm just guessing after all.

I think your take is closer than the cynical one ... think Johnson said during the speech today that a law already exists to implement the shutdown since the 90’s ? I got the impression he doesn’t want to go around arresting people over it so as you say a gradual approach may be easier for people to take 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think this is exactly it. Moving away from mass gatherings and not providing emergency services, but not banning them. They have to cancel themselves, at their own loss, or people have to choose not to attend, at their own loss. Tories gonna Tory.

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I think your take is closer than the cynical one ... think Johnson said during the speech today that a law already exists to implement the shutdown since the 90’s ? I got the impression he doesn’t want to go around arresting people over it so as you say a gradual approach may be easier for people to take 

I think you should also factor in Boris's own instinctive opposition to telling people what to do. I remember as Mayor of London, he often made a big show of standing up to the "nanny state", and I think it's one of the few aspects of his political belief system that is actually genuine and unshakeable.

He has a very firm belief in people doing the right thing of their own accord.

Sadly, as we're seeing, a lot of people just aren't doing the right thing.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Just a nice guy who likes looking after his air hostesses

57206512.jpg

167250117.jpg

147760758.jpg

(I'm joking - it's actually quite interesting to hear that anecdote, and does put him in a different perspective. But doesn't explain why he's been so heartless about the current situation.)

spacer.png
Net worth around $4.1b but won’t cover wages of his staff in a crisis for 8 weeks. 

26 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm bracing myself for some tough times at work. Working for an aerospace company, obviously the airlines are going to be hit hard and that has a knock on effect all the way down the chain.

I don't think my job would be at risk, but who knows at this point?

I’m in a similar place, obviously JLR are going to need a ridiculous amount of credit to ride this out. Hopefully they are just too big to let collapse given the ripple effect down the supply chain.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

It's the chickens coming home to roost, particularly for the charlatan in charge. 

If you've made your entire career out of lying, nobody is all that keen to listen to you when national security depends on people believing what you're telling them.

A lie is no longer "clever electioneering" or "a colourful metaphor to illustrate a wider point" when people's lives depend on it. 

An unserious politician for serious times. 

👏👏👏👏👏

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m in a similar place, obviously JLR are going to need a ridiculous amount of credit to ride this out. Hopefully they are just too big to let collapse given the ripple effect down the supply chain.

The banks will support the vast majority of businesses through this. Be it increasing overdrafts, extending trade facilities, granting morotoriums on finance payments, loans and mortgages etc. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

Â