Generic Virus Thread

villakram

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

We’ve all seen those quotes from Richard Branson about looking after staff is number one. Now the billionaire is “asking” them to take 8 weeks unpaid leave. I’m sure he could cover it out of the interest on his bank balance if he wanted 

And no doubt he’ll be safe somewhere on a private island. I’d thank him for his request and politely decline it if I worked for one of his organisations. 

Edited by It's Your Round
I don’t no how to spell know

2 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

And know doubt he’ll be safe somewhere on a private island. I’d thank him for his request and politely decline it if I worked for one of his organisations. 

I broached on this a few days ago with a friend at the airlines who was told unpaid leave or inform us you are retiring 

I’d presume these airlines have done their legal checks on this otherwise they are in a heap more trouble 

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I broached on this a few days ago with a friend at the airlines who was told unpaid leave or inform us you are retiring 

I’d presume these airlines have done their legal checks on this otherwise they are in a heap more trouble 

Yeah I mean that doesn’t sound like the kind of statement that would stand up to employment law to be honest. I must say I’m very lucky to get full sick pay and be able to work from home easily. If this had hit in the other 22 years worth of jobs I’ve had, it would be a very different matter. 

42 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

herein is part of the problem  , people are speculating rather than working with facts

That's why testing is helpful - to get facts. You can't work with them if you don't have them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Whats the situation in Italy, when they say lockdown do they mean that they are literally sat at home not going to work?

I dunno, I just find that scenario difficult to imagine.

What? It's a full on quarantine. Everyone is "locked" in their homes, only leaving for food shops or pharmacies. That's it.

Here in Poland it's not a quarantine but work, schools, bars and restaurants are all closed for 2 weeks, so there's no reason to go anywhere apart from shops either. And there were only about 90 cases here last time I checked.

Edited by fightoffyour

Massive anxiety issues about all of this. After how Ill I became in October with a severe flu leading to pneumonia, I'm petrified of this.  Nothing ever scares me, but I'm feeling really worried. I've got chest pains but it feels more like stress 😂

9 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Yeah I mean that doesn’t sound like the kind of statement that would stand up to employment law to be honest. I must say I’m very lucky to get full sick pay and be able to work from home easily. If this had hit in the other 22 years worth of jobs I’ve had, it would be a very different matter. 

I get all that, not sure certain my employer can afford the downtime that is here though. It’ll cost billions for my company alone.

Edited by Genie

The decision to stop testing has created the sense that it’s only happening elsewhere, it’s giving people a false sense of security. There’s only 4 reported cases in Doncaster and Rotherham and most people I’ve spoken to up this way are concerned, but not concerned enough to change their habits in any way, shape or form.

I’ve been out in the car today to get a few bits for my wife’s elderly grandparents. The shops were heaving with people, plenty of pensioners out, without a care in the world. It’s not quieter out there, it’s dramatically busier. I just don’t think people think Coronavirus applies to them. It’s almost like it’s something that’s on TV, and not real. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

The decision to stop testing has created the sense that it’s only happening elsewhere, it’s giving people a false sense of security. There’s only 4 reported cases in Doncaster and Rotherham and most people I’ve spoken to up this way are concerned, but not concerned enough to change their habits in any way, shape or form.

I’ve been out in the car today to get a few bits for my wife’s elderly grandparents. The shops were heaving with people, plenty of pensioners out, without a care in the world. It’s not quieter out there, it’s dramatically busier. I just don’t think people think Coronavirus applies to them. It’s almost like it’s something that’s on TV, and not real. 

It was discussed on the radio earlier and very few people know someone who has actually had or has it. This also leads people to think it’s not such a big deal and not real. None of the radio presenters (5Live) knew anybody, or friends of friends that had it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Genie said:

We’ve all seen those quotes from Richard Branson about looking after staff is number one. Now the billionaire is “asking” them to take 8 weeks unpaid leave. I’m sure he could cover it out of the interest on his bank balance if he wanted 

He is one of the biggest words removed on earth. Always has been.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Also, nobody believes experts. The generation which voted for Brexit are the ones ignoring how serious this is. Down here, at least.

• Like 1

My mom who is 75 went to the GP today. After she had spoken with him about her health issue she asked if she should be staying in the house as my son is trying to get me to stay in. He said no as you are reasonably healthy. I am having enough trouble getting her to stay in without the GP telling her otherwise.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I get all that, not sure certain my employer can afford the downtime that is here though. It’ll cost billions for my company alone.

I know, it’s a really difficult situation. 

My employer still has to keep going, we manufacture and sell medical technology, pharma products and provide home nursing for patients on enteral nutrition. All of that still has to be done. The production unit, and whole supply chain can’t work from home. There’s hundreds of people still there, I’m just one of the lucky gits that doesn’t need to be. 

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

He is one of the biggest words removed on earth. Always has been.

I agree. Shown his true colours here. Could step in and cover the wages of thousands of people who made him filthy rich without him even noticing it on his bank statement. Decides to push them towards bankruptcy instead. He should be stripped of his title.

• Like 2

Â