Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

One of the flaws with this herd immunity strategy is that no one seems to know if once you have had it you are then immune from catching it again.

This is my issue. I would have more confidence in our approach if any other country in the world was taking it. But they aren't. So either we have the best scientists in the world, or someone is taking an almighty punt! 

• Like 1

On 15/03/2020 at 12:28, Stevo985 said:

Mate, don't be that guy.

It's not the apocalypse, but it IS serious. People being flippant about it in this way doesn't really help matters.

Our own government have said 60% of the country needs to get it for us to develop our herd immunity. At the best death rate (south korea i believe) That's still about 300,000 deaths. At the death rates of Italy it's 2-3 million.

This "oh it's better for the species" crap is all well and good. But for a lot of us those 89 year old grandparents you flippantly discard onto the death pile might be OUR grandparents, or parents or, god forbid, us.

If you're fit and healthy and have no vulnerable family members then good for you and sounds like you might be unaffected. But for millions of people this will affect us deeply. And the knock on effects of the economy and health service could affect literally all of us quite significantly.

It’s not about being ‘that guy’, I’ve accepted that my early opinions were wrong and that it’s obviously more serious than a common cold but equally, people are whipping themselves into a frenzy and what happens as a result? Supermarkets running out of essentials, having to impose orders on how much people can buy, fuel will be next no doubt. 

And for anyone assuming that I consider myself impervious to this, hell no. I’m overweight with an appalling diet, asthmatic and I’ve smoked heavily for more than half of my life now, I think I just place less importance on myself and those around me and, as mentioned already, I fell out of love with humanity a long time ago, I’m sorry but I just don’t feel that there being less of us is a bad thing, irrespective of who that ‘us’ relates to in real terms.

I wouldn’t say that to someone whose close relative had just died (at least not without expecting a punch to the face) because, contrary to now popular belief I’m not completely heartless but there is a wider reality to this beyond the sorrow of losing a loved one, in my opinion.

13 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

One of the flaws with this herd immunity strategy is that no one seems to know if once you have had it you are then immune from catching it again.

Generally, that is the case with viruses.

That is why people get MMR vaccines; virus is put into the body, body learns it and becomes immune to it in the future.

There is no evidence to suggest it's different with this coronavirus.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Everything is fine, the government are totally in control. 

It will soon become apparent that we don't have enough critical care staff, anaesthetists, ancillary equipment or drugs to fully utilise the ventilators we have, never mind all the ones Hancock says he has been buying up, plus some devices cobbled together by car manufacturers.    

• Like 2

It must be done and done now because the number of deaths ripple every week of delay!.. 

Study suggests number of cases could have been cut by 66% if China had acted a week earlier

The rapid spread of coronavirus around the world could have been substantially curtailed if the broad swath of measures China brought in to control the outbreak were introduced just weeks earlier, researchers say.

Sophisticated modelling of the outbreak suggests that China had 114,325 cases by the end of February 2020, a figure that would have been 67 times higher without interventions such as early detection, isolation of the infected, and travel restrictions.

But if the interventions could have been brought in a week earlier, 66% fewer people would have been infected, the analysis found. The same measures brought in three weeks earlier could have reduced cases by 95%.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/11/research-finds-huge-impact-of-interventions-on-spread-of-covid-19

13 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Generally, that is the case with viruses.

That is why people get MMR vaccines; virus is put into the body, body learns it and becomes immune to it in the future.

There is no evidence to suggest it's different with this coronavirus.

A Japanese man has apparently tested positive for a second time after being cleared a few weeks ago.

Not enough info to draw conclusions from yet, but if it does prove true it isn’t great news.

5 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

A Japanese man has apparently tested positive for a second time after being cleared a few weeks ago.

Not enough info to draw conclusions from yet, but if it does prove true it isn’t great news.

As you say, not enough to draw conclusions. Did he really test positive twice? Did he completely shake it off the first time etc etc.

34 minutes ago, Kingman said:

This is my issue. I would have more confidence in our approach if any other country in the world was taking it. But they aren't. So either we have the best scientists in the world, or someone is taking an almighty punt! 

Sweden is taking the same approach as the UK. I would say Australia is taking a similar approach as well. The US is working on a state by state basis because Trump is useless, some states are operating like the UK, some are taking more drastic measures.

8 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

yea, but that's the thing. Its not a catch it once and then never catch it again type of illness. Each time someone gets it fights it off, you are building up a defence, so the body becomes better at dealing with it, to the point where eventually it becomes a common virus/disease... 

I don't think it has ever been reported that it is a one-time thing... I might be wrong. 

Edited by Tayls

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

While we wish for stuff, I wish I never get it and neither any of my friends and relatives!

Well obviously so do I. But being a born pessimist (and looking at the stats), my assumption is (pace Tom Petty) that I AM gonna get it. It's the waiting around with mounting anxiety, and not knowing just how bad it's going to be that's bugging me. Like waiting in the trench for the signal to go over the top. Just blow the **** ing whistle and let's face the gunfire. 

• Like 2

Just now, LondonLax said:

Sweden is taking the same approach as the UK. I would say Australia is taking a similar approach as well. The US is working on a state by state basis because Trump is useless, some states are operating like the UK, some are taking more drastic measures.

I genuinely believe that if Boris or Dominic had 10,000 respirators in a warehouse, but that an expert, or an algorithm, or a desktop scenario told them that using respirators in two weeks instead of today would help 95% or people instead of 93%, or would 'shape' the 'curve' of a scenario in a slightly favourable way, then they the would counterintuitavely sit on those respirators for two weeks instead of getting people breathing today or tomorrow. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

I get the dig at Trump, but states are working on individual basis because that's what they are - states. Very widely independent of the federal government. 

Even if Trump did want to do more (and I don't think he does) there is not that much he can do. 

4 minutes ago, Kingman said:

I genuinely believe that if Boris or Dominic had 10,000 respirators in a warehouse, but that an expert, or an algorithm, or a desktop scenario told them that using respirators in two weeks instead of today would help 95% or people instead of 93%, or would 'shape' the 'curve' of a scenario in a slightly favourable way, then they the would counterintuitavely sit on those respirators for two weeks instead of getting people breathing today or tomorrow. 

That's a strange analogy. Why employ experts if you're not going to use their advice. If you had advice that you could help an extra 2% of the population whichever way you'd do it wouldn't you?

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Any investments in mind? I’m looking at ftse100 company’s that will no doubt recover. Just don’t want to move too early. 

The sell off intensifies!

FTSE is down 6.5%, Germany 9%, France and Italy 10%, Spain 11%.

There is still trading on individual American stocks (Apple is down 13%, Amazon 8%, Netflix 7%, Tesla 13%, Facebook 9%, Twitter 11%), so it will likely fall much more than 5%.

I think under 21,000 seems quite likely today.

Edited by Kingman

4 minutes ago, Kingman said:

There is still trading on individual American stocks (Apple is down 13%, Amazon 8%, Netflix 7%, Tesla 13%, Facebook 9%, Twitter 11%), so it will likely fall much more than 5%.

I think under 20,000 seems quite likely today.

The US stock market opened, dropped 7% and had to be halted again. 

3 minutes ago, Kingman said:

I think under 20,000 seems quite likely today.

Just looking at some spread betting brokers like IG and IC markets. They arent allowing trades for US indices.

Â