Generic Virus Thread

villakram

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

spacer.png
Net worth around $4.1b but won’t cover wages of his staff in a crisis for 8 weeks. 

Very very generous man. One year whilst working at one of his megastores all of the staff from the top to the bottom got a fantastic christmas bonus. Of the bearded words removed autobiography. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, kwoktolai said:

I presume the insurance firms (Conservative backers) will have a bigger hit if the govt announce official shut down of business? hence why they are not announcing anything concrete?

Mystery solved.

ETQSrcvXgAEd9yX?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Very very generous man. One year whilst working at one of his megastores all of the staff from the top to the bottom got a fantastic christmas bonus. Of the bearded words removed autobiography. 

I once worked for his school friend. He is also a word removed. Must be the school.

17 minutes ago, choffer said:

One of my team is now in his third week of self-isolation. So far the only symptom he’s had is a cough. He’s told me he thinks it best to stay home so people aren’t worried if they hear him cough. 
The fact that he’s been bragging to others in the team that he’s been having a rare old time taking his boy to football, going to the pub etc is clearly academic. He thinks they will keep it quiet but they’re so peed off with him about it they’ve been in my ear about it for a week now. 
So far I’ve played it by the book and tried to be an understanding and compassionate boss. I will continue this approach for a bit longer before bringing the hammer down. I don’t relish pulling anyone up for things at work but in this instance, I might make an exception. 

A friend has had very similar situation.... although his employee was spotted in a photo at Cheltenham last week whilst supposedly being at home. Needless to say he cannot wait for said employee to come back into work.... 

38 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Its only for business at this stage so not really a direct comparison to sick pay and universal credit , not even sure it will “help the people “

France is going  to total lockdown as of tomorrow lunchtime , guess we will see what they do for individuals shortly 

Ah I didn’t realise that initially, ignore that Boris bashing for this occasion. (Only this occasion mind). 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

*Is what you should have said.

Valencia, Barcelona, Madrid, San Sebastian are, for example, absolutely amazing parts of Spain. A few idiots in Benidorm doesn’t make the whole country full of morons and not worthy of a visit.  

Very true, and I did think that after I’d typed it. I quite fancy real Spain, Seville looks nice. 

Benidorm can **** off though. 

• Like 1

https://www.thejockeyclub.co.uk/aintree/media/press-releases/2020/03/rhgn2020/

2020 RANDOX HEALTH GRAND NATIONAL FESTIVAL

CANCELLED DUE TO CORONAVIRUS

PRESS RELEASE  16TH MARCH 2020  AINTREE

The Jockey Club has announced that The Randox Health Grand National Festival will not take place between Thursday 2nd and Saturday 4th April this year.

Following the Government’s new public health guidance regarding avoiding social contact and stopping non-essential travel, and its statement that emergency services are withdrawn from supporting mass gatherings from tomorrow, the Jockey Club has decided that it is no longer appropriate to stage the event.

Edited by imavillan

39 minutes ago, Xela said:

The banks will support the vast majority of businesses through this. Be it increasing overdrafts, extending trade facilities, granting morotoriums on finance payments, loans and mortgages etc. 

But who will bail out the banks this time?

This whole thing is just very surreal for me. I feel like everyone's lives are changing and this is having a huge impact, yet 'cos I work from home and sit in my office all day on my own and I have no kids, literally nothing has changed for me. Without all the noise from people worrying/panicking/gossiping at shared office spaces it just feels like whatever is happening is a million miles away.

Not complaining by any stretch, it just feels.... odd. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Well, it'd be handy in these days of toilet paper concern.

I'm probably in the minority here but I currently trust the decisions Boris is making.

So far the country isn't hit as hard as others, I haven't heard of anyone in my area who has symptoms. It's a bit like the video posted yesterday with the water spilling over the cup, until the hospitals are inundated with patients there is no reason to lockdown the country.

A full lockdown of the country will be hugely detrimental to the economy, and if they time it wrong and have to extend it or repeat it it would then double the effects on the economy. The economy may not seem that important right now but it's effectively what holds the world together and prevents anarchy.

The nation themselves need to take some responsibility. The elderly and the at risk need to begin self isolation immediately, they should in fact have started already. Walking around Tesco tonight there were still elderly people about, and no doubt there will be all week. The safest place people can be right now is at home, and if people don't have work that's exactly where they should be. Yet I can almost guarantee you that if walk into your local Wetherspoon's tomorrow morning there will be elderly men spread out with a pint reading the paper.

The one change I would make right now is something along the lines of what Australia and New Zealand have brought in with everyone landing in the UK having to self isolate for 14 days. Why we are not doing it is baffling.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

This whole thing is just very surreal for me. I feel like everyone's lives are changing and this is having a huge impact, yet 'cos I work from home and sit in my office all day on my own and I have no kids, literally nothing has changed for me. Without all the noise from people worrying/panicking/gossiping at shared office spaces it just feels like whatever is happening is a million miles away.

Not complaining by any stretch, it just feels.... odd. 

I feel exactly the same, I work in an office but it is very much business as usual, they have said that in the next few days they are going to try and rearrange the seating arrangements so that there is an empty desk either side of everyone, yeah it is all that people are talking about but I haven't had any direct impact at all as of yet.

As for this self isolation stuff, well I'm all for that, I had a week off work about a month ago and I went 9 days without having a face to face conversation with anyone, I said goodbye to them on the Friday that I broke up and didn't speak to a single person until I walked back into the office over a week later.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m bracing myself for my contract to be terminated or not extended as planned.  Contractors will be the first to go. Understandably I guess. 

Im also a freelancer in the gig economy and just been told, as of 31st March my services will No longer be hired! 

One of my longest serving clients for just over 7 years and when the shit hits the fan the words removed will drop you quicker than a neat Scotch! 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm bracing myself for some tough times at work. Working for an aerospace company, obviously the airlines are going to be hit hard and that has a knock on effect all the way down the chain.

I don't think my job would be at risk, but who knows at this point?

I'm in the same boat as you mate, just got into Aerospace. I recently started as well so won't be in the best position if the redundancies kick in.

Realistically though there aren't many industries that won't be effected by this. Unless you're manufacturing toilet roll, antibacterial gel, soap, paracetamol or pasta.

Edited by wilko154

Â