Generic Virus Thread

villakram

some interesting data here 

in terms of closed cases (  i.e recovery or death ) we seem to be running at 64% death rate  v recovery  ... a low recovery rate compared to other countries

for comparison USA is running at 50% death rate  , Germany 19% death rate  ,  5% death rate in China  (here's a pinch of salt to go with that stat0)  , 16% iran   & italy 44%

no data as to how Germany are getting a better recovery rate but presumably it's to do with number of ventilators  ?

15 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

some interesting data here 

in terms of closed cases (  i.e recovery or death ) we seem to be running at 64% death rate  v recovery  ... a low recovery rate compared to other countries

for comparison USA is running at 50% death rate  , Germany 19% death rate  ,  5% death rate in China  (here's a pinch of salt to go with that stat0)  , 16% iran   & italy 44%

no data as to how Germany are getting a better recovery rate but presumably it's to do with number of ventilators  ?

Maybe an artefact of our slightly slower start in terms of numbers? It takes less time to die than it does to recover. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Maybe an artefact of our slightly slower start in terms of numbers? It takes less time to die than it does to recover. 

That and the actual massive under reporting of cases in the UK because of the lack of testing

55 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Our company has taken the action of closing all offices and making working from home mandatory.

Our office has had 5 people sent home today with flu like symptoms and they're 'working on getting working from home possible'.

28 minutes ago, bickster said:

That and the actual massive under reporting of cases in the UK because of the lack of testing

This. A podcast I listen to said that the numbers indicate you can multiply reported cases with 500 for the real number of infected people. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I very much doubt it. Actually, this winter (since the start of last November) has been the worst I can remember for winter viruses, one after another - or maybe just one extended one. Not just me, but just about all our family and friends (all ages, from babies on up) have had the same experience. BUT, they've all been cold/'trad flu' symptoms, not the fever/dry cough/breathing difficulty of COVID-19. I'm notorious for chronic coughs, but I'm like the Fast Show's Bob Fleming - it's always catarrh-driven. Dunno what will happen if/when I get it, as a 66-year old, but at least I'm otherwise fit and healthy - no asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. But my wife has rheumatoid arthritis, and takes immuno-suppressant drugs. I'm worried for her. 

Watch this please, important on aspirin, ibuprofen etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, bickster said:

This is why the Mortality rate is believed to be a lot higher globally than it probably is. Amesh Adelja believes the true rate to be 0.1%-0.6%. he works this out using S.Korea's rate and understanding that despite Korea having great testing set up there will still be a huge number of infected not getting tested.

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Read earlier that over 50% of patients in Dutch ICU with this disease are under 50 yrs old. Seems to be behaving differently from country to country almost. 

Or is it whilst over here we are just being told to self isolate and don't even bother ringing 111 unless symptoms persist for 7 days. You obviously then have zero chance of being tested.

Over there they are maybe visiting everyone who report symptoms, testing them and taking them in for treatment. I read the testimony of a husband of a lady in her 30's in UK struggling for breath at home and not taken to hospital. Perhaps in Netherlands they would take her into ICU.

8 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Many of us already have it, or have had it, we just showed no symptoms.

I can't get my head around this bit. I'm not saying it's wrong, I just don't understand how the world has come to a standstill because of a virus most of us don't know we have. I've been preparing to spend a week in a bed, tugging myself silly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Heat kills it, so if you have a tumble dryer, that'll help kill it.

is she suggesting  people climb in tumble driers and have a quick spin  or bash anyone that coughs on the head with the tumbler drier door  ?

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Just had a staff meeting with a senior nurse who is also on the National Infection Control Board.

Basically, carry on as normal.  The risk is purely in droplet form from fluid coming out of the mouth & nose, plus hands due to the cross contamination from face touching.  

Staff onsite have been told to carry on as normal (we access everywhere), if an area has a confirmed case, fluid preventive face masks and frontal pinnies are handed out (and binned upon exit).  Pregnant staff (up to 6 months pregnant) and staff who are classed as vulnerable still work normally.    

Avoid concentrated areas of people, where proximity is less than 1m as an average (hence gigs/stadiums closing).  Wash your hands properly and if you touch something which is an area of contamination (door handles etc), try not to use your bare hands.  If you see vulnerable or elderly people, that's ok, but give them more space 10ft is your droplet distance.  Children are more likely to spread as their hygiene is poor compared to adults.

We're anticipating a 30-40% infection rate and currently the mortality rate is 1% - the same as the flu.

Heat kills it, so if you have a tumble dryer, that'll help kill it.

The hospital are not advising you wash your clothes any more regularly than you already do.

IF you have a fever of above 37.9 degs for 4 days, call 111. 

Only people who require breathing assistance will be admitted - everyone else, go home and isolate yourself.  

Many of us already have it, or have had it, we just showed no symptoms.

Try to go about life as normally as possible, but measure the risk of you and the people around you.  If you see someone coughing in the air, not their hands, just remove yourself from that space.

Please note, this is anecdotal from my personal experience - the senior nurse said to us that information is evolving very quickly, but as of 3.30pm on 16/03/2020 - this is what I can paraphrase from memory. 

Please use the advice, but obviously stay sensible.

The general attitude of the nurse was quite laid back, but obviously everyone's circumstances are different, some people may live with cancer patients or immune suppression consuming family, or the elderly.

But for the love of God, can you please stop buying all the shit roll? 

A soothing post for once. Cheers Geoff.

I can sleep again now.

Some of the posts on here...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Â