Generic Virus Thread

villakram

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I do understand that NHS staff are human and not actually genuine angels, and I do understand that there are horrors out there that would attack anyone in any uniform or in civvies. I know people throw stones at fire personnel and steal from ambulances. All that is a given.

But as mentioned up stream, is there actual evidence of an increase in muggings for lanyards in order to get in to Tesco an hour early? That’s the specific thing I really really hope I’m right to be sceptical about.

As has been confined several times in this thread, NHS staff are being told to put their ID cards away after their shift. I assume this is based on specific issues of theft or attempted theft which i cannot personally confirm.

Of course people will steal lanyards. As mentioned earlier that will be the least of the scummy things people will start to do over the coming months. It will be a very small minority of people I’m sure. But shit will happen. It’s going to turn a bit dog eat dog. 

Nearly 1000 dead in italy today, Doesn't look like their lockdown has had much/any effect to the deaths.

1,919 combined dead in Italy, Spain & the UK in 24 hours. The small numbers are quickly starting to become big numbers now

Edited by LakotaDakota

Just now, LakotaDakota said:

Nearly 1000 dead in italy today, Doesn't look like their lockdown has had much/any effect to the deaths

Hard to say really could have been a hundred times worse if they hadn't acted.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Nearly 1000 dead in italy today, Doesn't look like their lockdown has had much/any effect to the deaths

It takes about 3 weeks for people to die typically so we are seeing the deaths from what conditions were like 3 weeks ago.

It’s going to be a bit frightening in a months time. 

• Sad 2

From Swedish journalist living in Rome.

New figures from ISS, the Italian Ministry of Health Research Institute! The figures are for 6801 deceased with corona. The average age of the dead is still 78 years. Only 29.6% are women. As many as 97.9% had at least one serious illness before. The average number of serious other illnesses in the dead remains 2.7. More than half, 50.7%, had three or more serious illnesses already and 25.9% had two illnesses, 21.3% had a serious illness already. No one under 30 has died.

9 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It takes about 3 weeks for people to die typically so we are seeing the deaths from what conditions were like 3 weeks ago.

Yep. Quite amazing to think we’re living through an event that will change the world, probably in even more consequential ways than 9/11 and 2008.

After this people won’t be looking to fix the system, they’ll be looking to replace the system. 

• Like 1

Just went and did the biggest of big shops, great set up in my local Aldi, social distancing observed, and not too busy. So surreal seeing people wearing masks, gloves etc but also good to see them not taking chances.

Ended up going to the co op and sainsburys mini markets as unable to get gluten free stuff from Aldi. 

Really feel for the retail workers at the moment, in at least 2 stores a couple of staff visibly shaken/ scared about being at work, horrible situation to be in. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Nearly 1000 dead in italy today, Doesn't look like their lockdown has had much/any effect to the deaths.

1,919 combined dead in Italy, Spain & the UK in 24 hours. The small numbers are quickly starting to become big numbers now

25 minutes ago, sne said:

Hard to say really could have been a hundred times worse if they hadn't acted.

23 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The good news in Italy is that the daily number of new cases is decreasing as a percentage of the total. These increases still look massive (because they are) but the lockdown is having an effect. As LL says, it takes somewhere between 2 and 3 weeks for the average person to die of the virus (it appears - I'm open to correction on this point), which means it is a lagging indicator, and that deaths will continue to rise dramatically even as the lockdown works. We will need to remember this ourselves in 2 or 3 weeks' time.

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Sky news just said we are on track for where imperial college London predicted we would be at this stage ... anyone know how they predicted it would end ? 

Their first paper, or their revised predictions? Presuming it's the latter, they hope the UK can stay under 20k fatalities.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I do understand that NHS staff are human and not actually genuine angels, and I do understand that there are horrors out there that would attack anyone in any uniform or in civvies. I know people throw stones at fire personnel and steal from ambulances. All that is a given.

But as mentioned up stream, is there actual evidence of an increase in muggings for lanyards in order to get in to Tesco an hour early? That’s the specific thing I really really hope I’m right to be sceptical about.

No idea of the evidence but staff are being warned. Maybe it's just being cautious but it's the message being sent out. 

Went into the office for a couple of hours today for a brief meeting and to sort some stuff out for the skeleton crew and to sort out individuals responsibilities

My neighbours curtains will be twitching a lot during this lockdown as I think there will be an awful lot of Police calling at the house during the lockdown because the only place they are getting any info is our house.

In that documentary I saw last night, from 2005, the guy who developed the Tamiflu and Relenza drugs stated that a future worldwide pandemic could easily see 2 million people die. Another guy in the show also said that such an event would probably require a lock-down across the globe for 6 months to have any chance of controlling the spread. 

That sort of fits in with what others were saying about reservists being told not to make any plans for several months. 

In that same documentary, a guy mentioned that a future pandemic could destroy cultures and devastate parts of the world that have very basic living standards and medicine etc - such as Asia and Africa. If modern countries like us, Italy, Spain etc are struggling, how would the impoverished countries possibly cope? I don't think the devastation is anywhere near where it will end up. If this gets out of control in Asia and/or Africa, that 2 million deaths might be an Understatement. 

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Yep. Quite amazing to think we’re living through an event that will change the world, probably in even more consequential ways than 9/11 and 2008.

After this people won’t be looking to fix the system, they’ll be looking to replace the system. 

In hindsight, I quite liked the system.

13 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I saw the worst of humanity today.  Twice in 2 minute. 

At a “local shop for local people“ the man in front of me licked his fingers before sorting out the exact change for his purchase. The checkout assistant told him that she was not willing to accept it. He started to make a scene.  I told him in no uncertain terms to leave without further fuss. At this point he realised that public opinion was against him and left. 

I moved to the head of the queue and the assistant thanked me for intervening. She then said “I can’t believe it. He was English not a foreigner.”

I left without buying anything. 

I once volunteered to help OAPs do their shopping, turned out they are all complete and utter racists. I left.

Â