Generic Virus Thread

villakram

16 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

The only thing with all out testing is you could be tested today and pass, but tomorrow get the virus from somewhere. I think that's why it's not entirely logical to test everybody asap or when the tests are finally available etc and maybe wait until certain symptoms etc 

There's two different types of testing: the antigen test shows whether you have the virus *now*, and the antibody test shows whether you have had it previously. If you test negative for then former, but positive for the latter, in theory you are immune (although there have been reports of reinfections and I'm less than 100% confident on this point, but it may be the best we've got) and can work/care for others/do vital tasks in less fear of infection. Of course, a patient getting an antigen test result is also useful for doctors trying to ascertain if a patient is sick with this or something else.

I think the conceptual leap that most people struggle with - me included - is remembering that tests are not primarily useful for the person being tested, for the reasons you suggest, but are useful for society in general.

(Edited this post for clarity)

Edited by HanoiVillan

14 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

The only thing with all out testing is you could be tested today and pass, but tomorrow get the virus from somewhere. I think that's why it's not entirely logical to test everybody asap or when the tests are finally available etc and maybe wait until certain symptoms etc 

The antibody test is far more worthwhile. People that have had it know pretty much they are in the clear.

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

The antibody test is far more worthwhile. People that have had it know pretty much they are in the clear.

This is kind of why I half want to get it. Assuming it doesn't kill me (big assumption), and that it does give future immunity (ditto), I'd very much like to get out and volunteer to help where it's needed. The snag is that I don't want to risk my immuno-compromised wife getting it, so we're both hunkering down as much as possible (apart from an occasional nervous shopping expedition by me). 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

At the time they said he saw her Via Skype , don’t think you can spread it that way 

Can I just check if that is true of STD's as well? A mate of mine was asking. 

40 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

There's two different types of testing: the antigen test shows whether you have the virus *now*, and the antibody test shows whether you have had it previously. If you test negative for then former, but positive for the latter, in theory you are immune (although there have been reports of reinfections and I'm less than 100% confident on this point, but it may be the best we've got) and can work/care for others/do vital tasks in less fear of infection. Of course, a patient getting an antigen test result is also useful for doctors trying to ascertain if a patient is sick with this or something else.

I think the conceptual leap that most people struggle with - me included - is remembering that tests are not primarily useful for the person being tested, for the reasons you suggest, but are useful for society in general.

(Edited this post for clarity)

Ahhh I see I didn't realise there were two tests, I just presumed there was a for all test so to speak. Makes a lot more sense though for the two tests, thank you for your explanation!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

The police are **** loving it. Give the **** a sniff of power and they'll use and abuse it until it's seized back.

Not to worry, at least they haven't started suggesting murdering people:

Oh.

55 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

This is kind of why I half want to get it. Assuming it doesn't kill me (big assumption), and that it does give future immunity (ditto), I'd very much like to get out and volunteer to help where it's needed. The snag is that I don't want to risk my immuno-compromised wife getting it, so we're both hunkering down as much as possible (apart from an occasional nervous shopping expedition by me). 

I said the same to my wife, if I knew I was immune and wouldn’t bring it home to the family I’d get out in the community getting shopping, running errands and such.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not to worry, at least they haven't started suggesting murdering people:

Oh.

They're big on policing by consent aren't they :) 

What a very dangerous man, how horrifying to know he used to hold such a position. But not surprising. 

4 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Seems one of our neighbours was taken to hospital in the night with suspected coronavirus
I hear he’s been put on one of the new Dyson ventilators and is now picking up nicely.

That sucks. 

14 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Yeah, but I hear there's a VAXine in the works

America look like they will need to Hoover all of them up if things continue the way they are... a bit Gtechnical for me to understand it all though....

Edited by leighavfc
  • Haha 1

Â