Generic Virus Thread

villakram

5 hours ago, Genie said:

Just popped to local shop for some supplies, first venture out of my street for about 10 days.

Feel a bit like I was cheating. Went in, got everything I needed and even picked up a Costa :D 

Queue to pay was quite long due to the spacing but only took a couple of minutes to get to the front. As it wasn’t a super market it could have been cheaper but worth it for the convenience.

Went to Morrisons in Aldridge about 11am and waited 30 mins to get in. Queue snaking al around the car park but everyone well mannered and keeping their distance. Moved pretty quickly to and i was in no rush as I was on works time! was nice to have a bit of sun on my face as I waited to tell you the truth.

• Like 1

Had a work colleague stopped by police asking where he was going - no further action as he was driving to work but it did prompt an emailed letters that individually name staff. Letter states ‘it is important that this person is not stopped travelling to and from work’. Letter also states it is valid for the named person only when accompanied with photo ID.

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I once volunteered to help OAPs do their shopping, turned out they are all complete and utter racists. I left.

Is that why you were hoping Stanley Johnson gets Coronavirus? He’s old and therefore a disgusting racist? 

Edited by Awol

Just now, Awol said:

Is that why you were hoping Stanley Johnson gets Coronavirus? He was old and therefore a disgusting racist? 

He's an actual racist, and would dispense of anyone with bad genes - so here's hoping! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Yep. Quite amazing to think we’re living through an event that will change the world, probably in even more consequential ways than 9/11 and 2008.

After this people won’t be looking to fix the system, they’ll be looking to replace the system. 

I always pegged climate change to be the only thing that would actually change things. Sucks that it had to be a global pandemic that will kill probably millions by the end of it, that does it :(

Just now, Jareth said:

He's an actual racist, and would dispense of anyone with bad genes - so here's hoping! 

Is he really, didn’t know that. What did he do? 

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I always pegged climate change to be the only thing that would actually change things. Sucks that it had to be a global pandemic that will kill probably millions by the end of it, that does it :(

Asteroid to the knee sounds pretty good right now.

12 minutes ago, brommy said:

Had a work colleague stopped by police asking where he was going - no further action as he was driving to work but it did prompt an emailed letters that individually name staff. Letter states ‘it is important that this person is not stopped travelling to and from work’. Letter also states it is valid for the named person only when accompanied with photo ID.

I have one too as we are "critical suppliers" to one of the company's involved in making testing machinery and lab stuff etc. 

22 minutes ago, brommy said:

I have had to go around with one of these letters from start of week. I do a lot of travelling going from site to site in Warwickshire and have probably done 400 miles this week but am still to be stopped. I expect this may change over the next week or so.

13 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

I have one too as we are "critical suppliers" to one of the company's involved in making testing machinery and lab stuff etc. 

I've got a letter which is basically something that any Tom, Dick or Harry could have written and printed out.  Doesn't even have my name on it or anything, so not sure what the point of it is.  I'd still feel a bit of a dude being able to brandish it to a copper if given the chance.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I have had to go around with one of these letters from start of week. I do a lot of travelling going from site to site in Warwickshire and have probably done 400 miles this week but am still to be stopped. I expect this may change over the next week or so.

Yeah looks like they are really going for it in other parts of the UK, stop checks everywhere!

• Like 1

This is a useful review of the evidence for those (like me) who thought the government didn’t do enough, early enough. A lot hinges on the lack of openness from China about the nature of the disease. links to original docs are included: 

• Like 1

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

I've got a letter which is basically something that any Tom, Dick or Harry could have written and printed out.  Doesn't even have my name on it or anything, so not sure what the point of it is.  I'd still feel a bit of a dude being able to brandish it to a copper if given the chance.

Mines from the head of the company we supply with his contact details and my name etc. Although tbf I dont really need it apart from when I'm on the way to and from work which is only 4 miles each way. The only other time il need it is if I have to go to see a  customer, which I'm not doing much if any of it at the moment for obvious reasons.

Mind you if your in a field of work that is important at the moment then the police need to respect that.

I can't believe how quickly it's become acceptable to need to give the police a letter from your employer to justify your travel.

I'm on board entirely with them being able to break up public gathering, but this seems absolutely insane.

50 minutes ago, Xela said:

Went to Morrisons in Aldridge about 11am and waited 30 mins to get in. Queue snaking al around the car park but everyone well mannered and keeping their distance. Moved pretty quickly to and i was in no rush as I was on works time! was nice to have a bit of sun on my face as I waited to tell you the truth.

Same here, apart from fact that I went at 18:00 was freezing my balls off

48 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Doesn't global warming have the potential to kill millions aswell? :trollface:

Well, we’re off up the allotment tomorrow, that’ll be interesting to see how it pans out. It’ll be four of us walking a couple of hundred metres to the allotment, hopefully the pensioners have had all week to do their thing and won’t be congregating up there. 

The police have been quite active around here today, advising people on what they’re allowed to do. But then we do have the country park and beaches which are overlooked by lines of houses. It’s a longer walk to the shops from here than to the entrance to a country park. So on the one hand you can tell people stay away from parks n beaches, but if that’s on your doorstep and you want to get exercise...

One thing they have been doing is closing car parks and roads to make it awkward to drive here and park up.

Next week I have a site visit, I will not have a letter or a pass. From previous experience, some police accept a sensible scenario, some are dicks. Me printing something out that I wrote myself feels a pointless.

Â