Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

33 minutes ago, Elton said:

I saw a comment (Kiwi I think) saying  Samatta only had about as many touches as Davis despite being on the pitch for twice as long. Watching the match back, the commentator says that it took Vardy about 20 minutes to have his first touch last night. I guess that’s the trade off for a striker playing on the shoulder of the defence rather than looking to get involved in the link up play. Maybe a bit like a far superior version of Hogan..

Couldn’t agree more. Two very very different styles, doing different jobs.

We are relying on the Coaches to ensure we alter our approach depending upon who is there.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, terrytini said:

As for the miss in the Second Half, here’s the thing, for me....

...(And this may be the difference between those more prone to criticism and those more benevolent, in this and other cases)....

If he misses that chance 5 times out of 5, he probably isn’t any good.

If he scores 1, keeper saves 1, and he misses 3, he’s probably adequate, or just about ok.

If he scores 2, and the keeper saves 1, he misses it twice, he’s not bad.

If he scores 3 times, he’s good.

And so on.

The difference between commenting on an isolated incident, and on a bigger picture.

Like commenting on the climate based on one days weather.

Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

random winona ryder GIF

Edited by MaVilla
  • Haha 4

Samatta looked promising to me. Tidy on the ball and decent movement but rather than being subbed for tiredness I think his miss prompted Smith to take him off to save the player's confidence. 

42 minutes ago, striker said:

Samatta looked promising to me. Tidy on the ball and decent movement but rather than being subbed for tiredness I think his miss prompted Smith to take him off to save the player's confidence. 

Nah he looked more tired second half, I don’t think there is doubt about what Smith said.

Forever the optimist (even when I probably shouldn't be), I've looked at his miss and decided that it was bouncing in an awkward position, kind of knee/shin level in a downwards direction. Yes, he should have anticipated it, but I don't think it's as easy to stick out a knee-cap as it is to stick out a toe.

For the rest of his appearance, I thought he did well. He was involved in the goal, and seemed to hassle the Leicester defence no end. Some of his one-touch passing was tidy (if, at times, fortuitous).

I'm really looking forward to seeing how we play in the coming games, with a different type of striker.

My early assessment is that he's like Maupay, just not a little gobshite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, terrytini said:

I suspect he would be disappointed in the amount of crosses that found their way anywhere near his head. 
None, to the best of my recollection.

I know nothing of him other than YouTube, but that would appear to be one of his strengths.

Whilst I prefer FG in general, but I guess this is one aspect of his game that would benefit from having Elmo in the team as he gets the ball in much quicker with far better accuracy. 

Was 100% nervous as hell and it showed up most in his finishing, we may not be the Villa of old and have been shite for almost 10 years but imagine having this match as your debut, coming from where he has, to this club, that match, seeing and hearing that Holte End for the 1st time, wow.  

• Like 1

Pleased to see that the general consensus has not written him off already. DS has already said that Ally was surprised at the intensity....of our TRAINING....let alone the matches. The lad hasn’t had a competitive match for 33 days; a weeks training would have Improved his match fitness but can never improve match sharpness. It is those split second movements that when the sharpness is there converts a near miss into a goal. I would be delighted if he could get 5 goals this season but isn’t it bloody great to have a striker showing natural movement and positioning in and around the box....we just have not had that all season. Let’s be honest, we won’t see the best of him until next season  

As has been said, Ally will become a solid PL striker and that for us at this stage of our progression is perfect. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Let’s be honest, no he didn’t.

LOL he missed two sitters and barely  touched the ball, and was totally of the pace. It was a poor performance. (See short film above)

Edited by Danishlad
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

LOL he missed two sitters and barely  touched the ball, and was totally of the pace. It was a poor performance. (See short film above)

I don’t need to watch a video, I watched the game.

Plenty to be encouraged about, got in the right places, made a nuisance of himself, chased down at the right times and linked up okay on a handful of occasions.

If he’d got a slight touch on that ball from Grealish everyone would be jizzing over him, will wait a few games before making my judgements.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I don’t need to watch a video, I watched the game.

Plenty to be encouraged about, got in the right places, made a nuisance of himself, chased down at the right times and linked up okay on a handful of occasions.

If he’d got a slight touch on that ball from Grealish everyone would be jizzing over him, will wait a few games before making my judgements.

Im not making a judgement about his quality. But i am judging the performance yesterday. It was poor. But with decent movement. 

Wow. Some of these comments after 66 minutes of a high stakes second leg baptism of fire having trained with his new team mates for 2 days. I thought Wesleys criticism was bad, clearly nothing less than scoring is now deemed a failure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I thought Wesleys criticism was bad, clearly nothing less than scoring is now deemed a failure.

There's not really much criticism though is there?

Edit: checked back and can still really only see one critic

Edited by Kiwivillan

Â