Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

13 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Was 100% nervous as hell and it showed up most in his finishing, we may not be the Villa of old and have been shite for almost 10 years but imagine having this match as your debut, coming from where he has, to this club, that match, seeing and hearing that Holte End for the 1st time, wow.  

People really need to bear this in mind, when considering his performance. It's pretty unusual - and pretty unfortunate, in some ways - for a guy to have his debut at a massive game, with everything on the line, in front of a packed crowd, and that ends in a pitch invasion.

He may need to get one or two away from home before his confidence is fully up (hopefully he can start that scoring on Saturday).

• Like 2

I would always be one of the people saying give him time (and I agree we should) but the fact he got himself in goalscoring positions a bunch of times against one of the best defences in the league on his debut means I’m not worried - the goals will come. That debut had what we needed to see to know he can make it at this level. No idea if that means he becomes an average Prem striker or a really good one, but he won’t look out of place.

• Like 2

I thought he looked great today. Loved that turn and take and it's great to see a headed goal. We're almost certainly going to need a huge performance from him for the rest of the season if we're going to stay up, so it's good to see him get off to such a bright start.

• Like 2

He’s played 160 minutes for us and we haven’t put a single cross anywhere near his head.

The one ball, today, that did find it’s way there, ended up in the net.

I don’t like to criticise, but I have to question why we are using him so poorly.

8 minutes ago, terrytini said:

He’s played 160 minutes for us and we haven’t put a single cross anywhere near his head.

I don’t like to criticise, but I have to question why we are using him so poorly.

A mix of tactics and poor execution by the players I think.

Targett is always looking for the Grealish linkup play on the edge of the box, so the early crosses for the header tend to come in from the right - and Guilbert just isn't executing these well.

Might be time to give Elmo a start - or I would even consider playing Trez at RWB (not that he's a great crosser, mind).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I like him but agree with the above. His strength is headers but we seem to ignore it.

Think it was due to shit crossing rather than ignoring it.  We got in plenty of decent positions today.  I like the look of him anyway, some great first touches and of course being alive for the goal.  Important that he hit the ground running.

15 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Our first headed goal all season apparently which is both astonishing and damning. 

shocked x factor GIF by X Factor Global

Shows our wingers are both very poor.  So many bad crosses. 

Pleased with his game today. Difficult with lack of support but he held it up decently and showed good bravery. More to come. He's much better than Wesley and we needed this type of striker from August rather than the development/project striker we got.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, terrytini said:

The good thing is things get their own momentum - as our players see him scoring headers, they will start trying to drop it on his head more. Sounds simplistic but I think that’s what happens.

Â