Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

Looks the business.

I just hope we perform better as a team and allow him to work, where he actually is supposed to, and give him service!

If we end up giving up the ball constantly and being under the cosh he will end up dropping deep and falling into the same trap as predecessors.

Davis made a big difference as well, I wouldn't mind seeing them up there together.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

The reason this happens is really well established. If I was taking a corner I’d beat the first man every time, because I’d be just slinging it in. But a PL player knows the most dangerous cross - statistically - beats the first man by an inch and is whipped in as low as possible. So obviously they try that and if they are less than inch perfect they hit the first man. And the better they are - eg Eriksen - the more they back themselves to hit that harder but more dangerous cross, whereas an average player doesn’t cut it so close.

The question is should they sacrifice the potential of a more dangerous cross (but good chance of hitting the first man) to always get a cross into the mixer by firing it a couple of feet higher. I would say yes but guess it’s something they discuss at length. I hope!

Edit: first sentence badly worded when I say it’s “well established”, I wasn’t meaning ‘you are making a silly point’ or ‘you should know this’ - what I meant was it’s something I’ve seen covered on a couple of coaching courses etc and acknowledged on those as a trade off. Was meaning to be informative on why I think coaches are (somewhat) ok with it happening, not meant to be patronising! 

That makes perfect sense, I haven't thought about that.

James Maddison seems to have that in his locker over Jack. About the only thing I'd say.

• Like 1

Looked good today. Happy for him to get his goal. Few times he and Grealish seemed to link up well. He looks intelligent and can drop back and get invovled in build up play or get in the box. Him and Keinan looked good. Would love to see him with Wes behind him. 

13 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Going to be a good player for us. Loved his countrymen celebrating his goal:

Shame everything else about today was godawful.

It's a bullshit tweet if you read the comments. It's a fan club in Uganda apparently.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

It's a bullshit tweet if you read the comments. It's a fan club in Uganda apparently.

I was wondering.

As I do know about that SC Club Villa. They wouldn't be his parading him scoring a goal in a loss against Bournemouth ffs. Lol

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

That makes perfect sense, I haven't thought about that.

James Maddison seems to have that in his locker over Jack. About the only thing I'd say.

I do like Maddison a lot though - would love to see the two of them play together. Doubt that’ll be for Villa though, let’s hope it happens for England.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

The reason this happens is really well established. If I was taking a corner I’d beat the first man every time, because I’d be just slinging it in. But a PL player knows the most dangerous cross - statistically - beats the first man by an inch and is whipped in as low as possible. So obviously they try that and if they are less than inch perfect they hit the first man. And the better they are - eg Eriksen - the more they back themselves to hit that harder but more dangerous cross, whereas an average player doesn’t cut it so close.

The question is should they sacrifice the potential of a more dangerous cross (but good chance of hitting the first man) to always get a cross into the mixer by firing it a couple of feet higher. I would say yes but guess it’s something they discuss at length. I hope!

Good post, but doesn't explain why some relatively mediocre footballers (in open play) are consistently excellent at set pieces.

Who would you rather have take a penalty for you if your life depended on it? James Milner or Mo Salah?

Would you rather have David Beckham or Cristiano Ronaldo take a free kick for you?

It's fair to say Grealish is trying a harder skill (the whipped, inswinging corner) than one of us lofting it to the far post, but is it really fair to say that he is hitting the first man because he is a better player than all those players who successfully whip inswinging corners into the danger zone?

If Grealish is aiming for something and missing it by inches, should he not just aim a touch higher and then statistically some of his crosses will be in the perfect zone, and others will still be dangerous far post balls?

I just don't think it stacks up. IMO he simply isn't a good corner taker (that's fine, you can't be the best at everything), and should be sitting on the edge of the box as a goal threat.

Edited by KentVillan

8 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Good post, but doesn't explain why some relatively mediocre footballers (in open play) are consistently excellent at set pieces.

Who would you rather have take a penalty for you if your life depended on it? James Milner or Mo Salah?

Would you rather have David Beckham or Cristiano Ronaldo take a free kick for you?

It's fair to say Grealish is trying a harder skill (the whipped, inswinging corner) than one of us lofting it to the far post, but is it really fair to say that he is hitting the first man because he is a better player than all those players who successfully whip inswinging corners into the danger zone?

If Grealish is aiming for something and missing it by inches, should he not just aim a touch higher and then statistically some of his crosses will be in the perfect zone, and others will still be dangerous far post balls?

I just don't think it stacks up. IMO he simply isn't a good corner taker (that's fine, you can't be the best at everything), and should be sitting on the edge of the box as a goal threat.

I definitely agree he should be on the edge of the box rather than taking corners and I definitely agree you get some average players way better at set pieces than better players.

20 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Missed large parts of the game yesterday, how did he play? What seem to be his strengths? General opinion is he played well and looks a good signing?

Few very nice touches and kept the ball well when he had it. Looks very intelligent.

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

Few very nice touches and kept the ball well when he had it. Looks very intelligent.

I’d add to that seems strong and brave too, didn’t shirk any challenges and if he did have to push and grapple a bit he seemed to have the fight to do it

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Missed large parts of the game yesterday, how did he play? What seem to be his strengths? General opinion is he played well and looks a good signing?

He's unfit and still the best striker we've had since May 2019 by a mile.

Main weakness is pace probably. I think he's half a yard short of being a really top player but looks pretty good at everything else. Some good hold up, some good link play, movement around the box good, brave for the goal, just finishing we've yet to have a proper look at. Fluffed the one v Leicester but the areas he gets into will lead to more opportunities like that.

Get him doing plenty of running next fortnight please Deano.

35 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

They aren't real Villa fans nor are the new Egyptian fans.

Couldn't care less about them. Once Trezeguet, Elmo and Samatta leaves they will be long gone. I will support the Villa till my death.

Nah, doesn't always work like that. You don't always just forget about the club the moment the player you follow leaves. Especially if he's carved a great legacy at the club before he leaves.. When you support the player, you also support the club such that even if that player leaves, the support for the club might still stick around.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Â