Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

The first one were basically a shot as a pass when he came running at it. His vision was blocked at the start of the pass which means it's even more difficult at high speed. If you think that's an easy goal it's beyond me. I've played enough competitive football to know exactly how impossible that can be.

The second one is much worse, but he came at speed with the pass coming in front of him and he basically had to throw himself at it. Not exactly straight forward either. 

Ultimately for me, if you think they're easy or not, he got into scoring positions in the box and that's what I wanted to see. 

It's pretty normal with strikers that are very keen to impress to either snatch at chances or just fumble it. You can just look back at strikers in the PL the last 20 years that it often takes a bit of time to lower the shoulders and get into the flow of scoring. 

I was very happy with what I saw. My only negative was that he seemed pretty overwhelmed about the physicality and urgency needed for hold-up play. 

Generally was a good striker evening. Davis impressed me as well. 

If you read my post again, you’ll see that I’m saying pretty much what you’re saying.. that he shows promise with regards to getting into those positions. 
I didn’t come into the thread to have a go at him, and there were certainly enough encouraging signs there.  He played his part in the goal that we scored, and he looked bright.

My comment was not directed at him, but rather at your assessment of the chances.  You continue to maintain that these were not easy chances.

Chance 1: indeed not an easy chance to score at all.  However, he missed the ball completely with his shot with his left leg, the ball hit his right standing leg. This was not a sitter by any stretch of the imagination, but he definitely should be doing better to at least make the intended contact

Chance 2: Anyone who states he shouldn’t have done better is lying to themselves (in my opinion of course)

I’m 100% sure that if that was Wes with either of those misses you’d be calling them sitters.

Once again, not having a go at the player. He played his part in a superb win, it was his first game in a new country and he showed good signs.

But for the love of god, let’s call an easy chance an easy chance.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Thug said:

Chance 1: indeed not an easy chance to score at all.  However, he missed the ball completely with his shot with his left leg, the ball hit his right standing leg. This was not a sitter by any stretch of the imagination, but he definitely should be doing better to at least make the intended contact

Chance 2: Anyone who states he shouldn’t have done better is lying to themselves (in my opinion of course)

I’m 100% sure that if that was Wes with either of those misses you’d be calling them sitters.

1) When you are under pressure from a defender, can't see the point where the ball is passed, it's basically shot at your foot you keep for balance, it's no wonder it's difficult. It's not like he on purpose made it more difficult than it had to be. All players are caught off guard when they are standing on the wrong foot with a hard pass. It's basic football knowledge.

2) Nobody has said that either. What's said it's not an easy chance as some make it out to be.

3) Oh good. You know what I'd be saying. No point of me posting much then is it. 

51 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

when i got home i re-watched the goal / full time celebrations  on sky , he celebrated on the bench like he's been a Villa fan all his life :)

I thought he bumped his head on the dugout roof

country music lol GIF by Stephanie Quayle

I think it proves we need another striker......stay with me, not because he had a bad game at all because you can see the benefit (although one game) that he can give to this team but it's going to take a while to get up to speed, fitness and understanding.  We only have 14 league games left so it's big ask and I'm no fan of Davis so again we are short.  If we played two strikers up front then I would be less concerned but only one true striker it's a lot to ask Samatta and I fear the fans will get on his back on websites like this.

I liked what I saw of Samatta, he's getting into positions to score, he gave defenders things to think about....I thought he had a bit more pace than we saw last night but maybe not but that's ok.  I saw something promising and it was great to have a proper striker on the pitch and over time I think/hope he'll do well.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I think it proves we need another striker......stay with me, not because he had a bad game at all because you can see the benefit (although one game) that he can give to this team but it's going to take a while to get up to speed, fitness and understanding.  We only have 14 league games left so it's big ask and I'm no fan of Davis so again we are short.  If we played two strikers up front then I would be less concerned but only one true striker it's a lot to ask Samatta and I fear the fans will get on his back on websites like this.

I liked what I saw of Samatta, he's getting into positions to score, he gave defenders things to think about....I thought he had a bit more pace than we saw last night but maybe not but that's ok.  I saw something promising and it was great to have a proper striker on the pitch and over time I think/hope he'll do well.

Why?

35 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Why?

Couldn't hit a barn yard door.  Nice hold up play and can link sometimes but this non-scoring part of his game in my opinion is not good enough or exceptional enough to warrant his lack of goals.  I have defended this view on the Davis thread a couple times and I know he's young and maybe he'll come on but his lack of positional awareness to score goals, when he does get a chance he's one of the least natural strikers of the ball I've seen for a front man and he then doesnt score goals. 

Even down the years the false numbers nine's, the ten's or the low scoring strikers have pitched in with some goals or looked a threat in front of goal.....for me Davis never does!  Doesnt score, doesnt look like scoring and doesnt get into positions to score.  His other attributes would be good if he was a midfielder or somewhere else but he's not, he's an attacker/striker. 

Once we get another striker in, I'd happily sell him or loan him in the summer.....if there was some potential that he could grow or improve scoring I would certainly keep as back up but I dont see any potential in that area so happy for him to develop elsewhere and as potential fourth choice striker (if we get another striker in) I'd rather him moved on and let one of the kids experience around match days, hopefully Louie Barry.

I was hoping for a Dean Saunders style debut but still very encouraging. He should’ve buried that chance on the hour but he was sprinting into the box at every given opportunity and he’ll score goals.

Link up play was good too, although David excels here. Good to have proper competition. Based on last night both Samatta and Davis will improve us massively. Interesting to see what other forward we are bringing in this month, as I’m pretty confident with these 2 if they stay fit.

• Like 1

He really should have scored that second one, but it happens.

Bearing in mind is his first game in a new country, in a new team, in a harder league, against a really good side, after he's had a month break, it was a decent showing. He's an old school striker, good movement showing for the early pass to run on to and hassling the defence. He didn't get many great chances, as Leicester were able to clear a lot of our balls into the box but he was making the runs to get those chances.

Was he a world beater? No, and he isn't going to be. But there's the makings of a solid PL striker when he's got his feet under the table.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Elton said:

I was hoping for a Dean Saunders style debut but still very encouraging. He should’ve buried that chance on the hour but he was sprinting into the box at every given opportunity and he’ll score goals.

Link up play was good too, although David excels here. Good to have proper competition. Based on last night both Samatta and Davis will improve us massively. Interesting to see what other forward we are bringing in this month, as I’m pretty confident with these 2 if they stay fit.

I think we were all hoping he had that type of moment....I was thinking of Haaland's debut for Dortmund the other day.  I was praying he didnt get injured because I feel that would be our luck.....so nervous about injuries these days.  When Mings went down and grabbed his hamstring at one point my heart dropped.  My biggest fear is Jack getting injured and the impact that would have on us.....

Happy with his debut though.

I saw a comment (Kiwi I think) saying  Samatta only had about as many touches as Davis despite being on the pitch for twice as long. Watching the match back, the commentator says that it took Vardy about 20 minutes to have his first touch last night. I guess that’s the trade off for a striker playing on the shoulder of the defence rather than looking to get involved in the link up play. Maybe a bit like a far superior version of Hogan..

• Like 1

Just now, MaVilla said:

didnt Samatta have a goal disallowed versus Leicester?, i have watched numerous highlights but doesnt seem to show it?

Nah basically Guibert put it into him and he slotted it in but flag was already raised for offside from Guibert.

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

didnt Samatta have a goal disallowed versus Leicester?, i have watched numerous highlights but doesnt seem to show it?

Yes. I think everyone at the ground knew it was offside though and VAR correctly ruled it out. 

And the flag was up straight away as JV said above.

Edited by av1

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

It was so massively offside it's probably not worth reporting.  Didn't stop a comical VAR check at the ground though which lasted about 5 seconds and play was waved on before they even gave their rather obvious verdict.

I suspect he would be disappointed in the amount of crosses that found their way anywhere near his head. 
None, to the best of my recollection.

I know nothing of him other than YouTube, but that would appear to be one of his strengths.

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

I suspect he would be disappointed in the amount of crosses that found their way anywhere near his head. 
None, to the best of my recollection.

I know nothing of him other than YouTube, but that would appear to be one of his strengths.

To be fair the players probably have nightmares about crossing the ball in to the box and either having players there who cant head or  nobody there at all.

I can imagine someone goes to do a high cross and they have a tourette's type response like...."**** **** shit dont cross high **** no blyat".

Might take a few games to overcome :)

• Haha 1

As for the miss in the Second Half, here’s the thing, for me....

...(And this may be the difference between those more prone to criticism and those more benevolent, in this and other cases)....

If he misses that chance 5 times out of 5, he probably isn’t any good.

If he scores 1, keeper saves 1, and he misses 3, he’s probably adequate, or just about ok.

If he scores 2, and the keeper saves 1, he misses it twice, he’s not bad.

If he scores 3 times, he’s good.

And so on.

The difference between commenting on an isolated incident, and on a bigger picture.

Like commenting on the climate based on one days weather.

Â