Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

28 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He pressed defenders well and had a few nice touches. 

His 2 misses were really abysmal efforts but that only becomes a worry if it happens on a regular basis. 

A promising debut. 

2 misses? you including the mis kick in there too?

that's not a bad miss, hard chance, he needed to make his mind up and pick a foot (stab with the outside of his right for me) but the likelihood of him scoring from there was slim to say the least so im not too worried about that one - anyone saying it was a sitter needs to give their head a wobble

if you look at the movement for the 2 chances and the disallowed goal it was very good

Edited by villa4europe

3 hours ago, Hornso said:

I think it was Danny Webber who was doing special comments on the feed I was watching. I believe his final verdict on Samatta was 'Doesn't look Premier League standard to me I'm afraid'. Thanks Danny.

Who the *#*! is Danny Webber?

Samatta looked lively considering he's not played since Boxing day, shame about the miss but we won so no big deal.

Seemed to be the victim of a few heavy challenges too, thought the referee and assistants were shocking last night!

47 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He pressed defenders well and had a few nice touches. 

His 2 misses were really abysmal efforts but that only becomes a worry if it happens on a regular basis. 

A promising debut. 

He actually looked quite nervous as well, which is understandable.

A whole country watching him and the weight, expectation and atmosphere of a full VP!

Only been here what, a week?

Also, when rewatching the highlights from the other angles, that pass was so ridiculous they probably didn't even expect it to come through! Hence late/slow anticipation.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Whether right or not we are going to compare him to others that have played up front this season. He looked off the pace and you can tell it will take a while for him to settle in this league. However you could also see he is a proper striker. His movement and his link up play at times was very good. He was always in the box moving for a pass. 

Its basics for a striker but we just haven’t seen it enough this season so it’s encouraging after so long we saw it in 2 players in one game. If we can secure one more decent striker we’ll be ok for the rest of the season.

23 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Who the *#*! is Danny Webber?

Samatta looked lively considering he's not played since Boxing day, shame about the miss but we won so no big deal.

Seemed to be the victim of a few heavy challenges too, thought the referee and assistants were shocking last night!

Was speaking to my brother after the game... He was spot on when he said “Mike Dean always seems to pick a side to get all the decisions and the rub of the green... It might not be deliberate, but he always does it”

Last night, Leicester kicked us all over the place... That Turkish defender of theirs who clattered Jack twice should have been sent off...

but we won... and Elmos cross was magnificent!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

2 misses? you including the mis kick in there too?

that's not a bad miss, hard chance, he needed to make his mind up and pick a foot (stab with the outside of his right for me) but the likelihood of him scoring from there was slim to say the least so im not too worried about that one - anyone saying it was a sitter needs to give their head a wobble

if you look at the movement for the 2 chances and the disallowed goal it was very good

It wasn't a sitter, I think the fact he completely whiffed on the shot was really poor. 

Movement was good, like I said it was promising and I'll be surprised if he keeps doing what he did last night. 

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I also saw him hold the ball up well when it was played into his feet and he was able to retain possession and lay it off.

That alone is an upgrade on when El Ghazi has played there.

I keep seeing this but El Ghazi did that plenty of times against Watford. Let's be honest, beyond the positivity of the result, it wasn't a memorable debut. But that's to be expected... what a game to play his first game, against a very good team in a semi final. All games are pressure games for us though. Davis made a big difference for us and I think it would be right to start him next time around. There's obviously a lot more to come from Samatta but he might need some time. And we'll have to find ways to give him some. 

To me he looks like someone that needs to play in a front 2 rather than a lone striker  but then again outside of football manager I've never coached a team in the top flight :)

Few times one of our players had the ball and Samatta made a run and the midfielder didn't play him in , almost certainly a case of them needing to get used to each other ..

It wasn't a Wow debut , but equally it wasn't a terrible debut either  ... a  goal will help him settle in , lets hope it comes on Sat

Edited by tonyh29
corrected to "lone " (thanks Stefan)

20 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I keep seeing this but El Ghazi did that plenty of times against Watford. Let's be honest, beyond the positivity of the result, it wasn't a memorable debut. But that's to be expected... what a game to play his first game, against a very good team in a semi final. All games are pressure games for us though. Davis made a big difference for us and I think it would be right to start him next time around. There's obviously a lot more to come from Samatta but he might need some time. And we'll have to find ways to give him some. 

El ghazi offers nothing up front or out wide 1 out of 10 games performance player.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Hornso said:

I think it was Danny Webber who was doing special comments on the feed I was watching. I believe his final verdict on Samatta was 'Doesn't look Premier League standard to me I'm afraid'. Thanks Danny.

Danny Webber 4 career top flight goals. I trust his goalscoring expertise

That Grealish pass looks like a goal gone begging but they can be deceptively hard to connect. He makes the run and slight mistime and the ball is gone. I'd rather player was in right position and miss than not be in position at all

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Getting to Wembley on your first start with a pitch invasion at the end :lol:

when i got home i re-watched the goal / full time celebrations  on sky , he celebrated on the bench like he's been a Villa fan all his life :)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

To me he looks like someone that needs to play in a front 2 rather than a lone striker  but then again outside of football manager I've never coached a team in the top flight :)

Few times one of our players had the ball and Samatta made a run and the midfielder didn't play him in , almost certainly a case of them needing to get used to each other ..

It wasn't a Wow debut , but equally it wasn't a terrible debut either  ... a  goal will help him settle in , lets hope it comes on Sat

Yeah doesn't look a loan striker at all, obviously has a great leap, but he is actually quite small!

Â