Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Gregg Evan's mentioned the release fee and made a good point. 

Why didn't we activate it January 1st and why have no other clubs activated a fairly low amount?

I think he is going to be better than what we've had and will play his part but I think he will still struggle and expectations should be realistic. He isn't going to take the league by storm but I've said numerous times, he doesn't need to in order to help save us.

This is why I met the signing largely with indifference. Great to have a forward but nothing on paper or in his highlight reels makes me excited. Just going to have to wait and see. My gut tells me that he's not going to pull up any trees but I hope to be massively surprised.

The fact is that he doesnt have to be amazing, him knowing the position will improve us massively!

Also the fact he is good in the air will automatically give us another dimension going forward, as well as a bit more danger from set pieces.

If he can do a bit by himself then all the better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Why didn't we activate it January 1st and why have no other clubs activated a fairly low amount?

Maybe we didn’t know he had it when we were first looking at him? I’m sure we look at a lot of players and don’t necessarily talk to all their agents about their contractual situations. 

18 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Maybe we didn’t know he had it when we were first looking at him? I’m sure we look at a lot of players and don’t necessarily talk to all their agents about their contractual situations. 

I'd be very surprised that in this era of football, clubs don't know everything as soon as the scouting process begins. 

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I think he is going to be better than what we've had and will play his part but I think he will still struggle and expectations should be realistic. He isn't going to take the league by storm but I've said numerous times, he doesn't need to in order to help save us.

My guess on this would be that he is 27 and only just starting to show he has something more in his locker, such as Champions League goals. We got Benteke when in a similar position. 

Danny Ings is banging them in for Southampton. That's what we need, not necessarily a world beater. If he can be even better, ideal! 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I'd be very surprised that in this era of football, clubs don't know everything as soon as the scouting process begins. 

You can literally only find that out from the player’s representatives or the selling club. In a lot of situations that no doubt happens very early, but to just assume it as public knowledge is incorrect. Villa’s scouts no doubt watch dozens if not hundreds of players dozens of times - at some point in that process they will speak to the agent but it can vary when, and the club obviously won’t speak to all the agents of all those players.

To be clear yes when trying to sign someone or even thinking seriously about placing a bid I’m sure they find out as quickly as they can - but not just as soon as they are scouting someone.

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

You can literally only find that out from the player’s representatives or the selling club. In a lot of situations that no doubt happens very early, but to just assume it as public knowledge is incorrect. Villa’s scouts no doubt watch dozens if not hundreds of players dozens of times - at some point in that process they will speak to the agent but it can vary when, and the club obviously won’t speak to all the agents of all those players.

To be clear yes when trying to sign someone or even thinking seriously about placing a bid I’m sure they find out as quickly as they can - but not just as soon as they are scouting someone.

I doubt its public knowledge. But like I said I'd be very surprised if clubs don't know this stuff very early on in the process. 

On 25/01/2020 at 17:09, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just watched his YouTube clip again.  He looks good but not clinical. Also likes to run past players but it won't be as easy for him in the Premier League. 

I think we're going to have to be very patient with him as he gets up to speed with this league.  I think some fans are expecting too much from the off.

His biggest quality seems to be headers and thats something were massively missing.

I actually just wanna see a striker that runs around, makes himself available and fights for the ball. Goals I will have plenty of patience with, just like I had with Wes. 

My mine main issue with Wes wasn't his goals ratio, but his lethargic slow presence. We really needed movement and fight to make our midfield more effective. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I actually just wanna see a striker that runs around, makes himself available and fights for the ball. Goals I will have plenty of patience with, just like I had with Wes. 

My mine main issue with Wes wasn't his goals ratio, but his lethargic slow presence. We really needed movement and fight to make our midfield more effective. 

I just like from his highlights that he does attacking headers in the box. Have we had someone like that since Laursen really? Gabby, Benteke occasionally

20 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

I reckon he will be on the bench. If he starts its cause he has been awesome in training.

I will be completely gobsmacked if he doesn't start. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I doubt its public knowledge. But like I said I'd be very surprised if clubs don't know this stuff very early on in the process. 

I tend to agree more with Adam on this one. Release clauses tend to be kept under wraps, and often only a handful (or two) of people know about them.

I imagine a lot of the time, the secret gets kept for even longer if the player is loved by the club and all their representatives.

Whereas, in some clubs, a marmite player might have their release clause whispered by a few people, a player like Samatta, who seems to be a cult hero at Genk and adored by his nation, would probably see the majority of the club reps and related people keep the release clause under wraps. Until, of course, it becomes clear that Samatta wants to leave and maybe his people pass the info on.

It’s all ‘ifs, buts and maybes’ of course, but I’m leaning towards it being unlikely that we knew about the release clause in the Summer or at the start of this window.

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

The fact that you're still banging on about his apparent slow lethargic presence, shows that you're opinion of him blinds you from seeing his improvement before his injury.

5 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

The fact that you're still banging on about his apparent slow lethargic presence, shows that you're opinion of him blinds you from seeing his improvement before his injury.

He had 2 matches from what I can recall where he looked slightly better (if I recall I actually praised him on the Wes thread, but cba to find it), but it doesn't change my opinion of him over a 5 month period. I hope he'll get there, but doesn't mean I can't call it like I see it. 

Sometimes people just have a different opinion. Doesn't actually make them blind to improvements or whatever. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

He should start.  Even at 70% match fitness he must be better at leading the line than El Ghazi.

Plus, we've been starting Drinkwater at 2% match fitness.

That’s a good point. 

But do we want him to start and last about 70 minutes or come on and make a big impact?

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

I just like from his highlights that he does attacking headers in the box. Have we had someone like that since Laursen really? Gabby, Benteke occasionally

Kozak 

punch sign GIF

Â