Tom13

6 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

Checked out there manager and his name is Liam Manning and this is from his Wiki. Hope it is accurate.

"Manning favours a high possession, high pressing style of football.

He has a reputation for developing young players, having spent much of his early coaching career working with the academy sides of West Ham United, Ipswich Town and New York City FC. Manning is credited as having contributed to the development of England international Declan Rice."

This is 100% accurate. Has the centre backs playing out from the back, quite unusual for that level, and seems to have backing from the club and fans to persist with it, despite a few teething troubles.

I have a feeling this will be a much more productive loan spell for Barry than his time at Ipswich. Much closer to what he was learning here in the youth setup, and better suited to his attributes.

Having said that, I still think he looks like a kid physically, and will get bullied. Might be a couple of years away from making his mark at adult level.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KentVillan said:

This is 100% accurate. Has the centre backs playing out from the back, quite unusual for that level, and seems to have backing from the club and fans to persist with it, despite a few teething troubles.

I have a feeling this will be a much more productive loan spell for Barry than his time at Ipswich. Much closer to what he was learning here in the youth setup, and better suited to his attributes.

Having said that, I still think he looks like a kid physically, and will get bullied. Might be a couple of years away from making his mark at adult level.

Did he get bullied at Swindon second half of the season? He scored a few goals there

• Like 1

It's good building relationships with certain lower league clubs. This way they can almost guarantee our young players game time as we will keep the train of talent coming their way. So these clubs need to play our loanees or they risk missing out next season etc..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It's good building relationships with certain lower league clubs. This way they can almost guarantee our young players game time as we will keep the train of talent coming their way. So these clubs need to play our loanees or they risk missing out next season etc..

Could work the other way too with us getting first option on their brightest talents. 

This looks a good move for Barry, I hope this is the loan that sees him kick on. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Could work the other way too with us getting first option on their brightest talents. 

This looks a good move for Barry, I hope this is the loan that sees him kick on. 

Yeah looks a good move as they're challenging up the top of League 1 so should get plenty of chances created for him

3 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Did he get bullied at Swindon second half of the season? He scored a few goals there

I didn’t see much of it, be keen to hear from others. But League Two is a big step down from where he wants to be.

He’s clearly very good when the play is stretched and he can lose his marker, but not sure how he handles a tighter game? Hopefully he can do some damage in League One this season.

I’m a big fan, just think he needs a lot of time.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, John said:

Hope he gets the game time that he was getting at Swindon and shows Ipswich what they could have had in his games against that lot.  

I hope so as well. They signed 2 more attackers this week , one of them Will Grigg 

• Like 1

He will get game time, there will be competition for places the same as at any club, but at Ipswich it was ridiculous, we loan him ot them but then they went and signed another three or four players that played his position, and not just any players, one had been one of the best players in League One the season before, another two were very experienced at Championship level and had done well in that league, and they signed another that had been playing Ligue Un the season before.

He probably won't be in compettion with Grigg, as will I imagine mostly be deployed on the left hand side, which is where he mostly played for our U23s and where he played for Swindon last season

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, MaVilla said:

hasnt even been in the MK Dons match squad for the last 3 games (and on the bench, didnt get on the pitch the match before that), is he injured or just not even getting in the match squad?

I was at the Exeter MK Dons game too, and MK were awful. He must be injured because there is no hope if he can’t get in that squad atm.

I didn't see all of them but from memory a few of his goals last season were like what grealish scored yesterday, right sided player of the front 3 puts the ball in striker attacks the front post left sided player attacks the space that's then left in the middle

Villa now as an example don't set up like that, we don't put Bailey in scoring positions, we did under MON though that's how downing scored his goals 

There might be extenuating circumstances but it seems he really has stagnated. And they have better options up front such as Will Grigg  Louie has the problem in senior football that he isnt particularly strong or quick. And he has stopped scoring regularly for the first time in his career.  It also says alot that he never came on the Aussie tour while his same age peers did. I am not trying to knock him and i love the kid   but this is what happens all the time. The best and brightest plateau and the less rated come through and overtake them . 

Â