Tom13

In a way I hope he has picked up a slight knock, rather than we have another "Ipswich" situation developing. Although he had earlier had 3 league starts, he's yet to play a full 90 minutes and hasn't made the bench in their last two league games. They've made a poor start to this season, which was to be expected given the players they have lost and I wonder whether their manager is currently wanting to use "experienced players" to try to keep himself in a job? If so, let's bring him back and loan him out to Swindon in the next window, where he's appreciated and will get games. Walsall might also use him well. This lad will be a player, I'm sure about that. 

2 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

There might be extenuating circumstances but it seems he really has stagnated. And they have better options up front such as Will Grigg  Louie has the problem in senior football that he isnt particularly strong or quick. And he has stopped scoring regularly for the first time in his career.  It also says alot that he never came on the Aussie tour while his same age peers did. I am not trying to knock him and i love the kid   but this is what happens all the time. The best and brightest plateau and the less rated come through and overtake them . 

Its hard to make it at the top level in the PL! 1 in every 10 thousand academy players in the country make it to playing even 1 minute of PL football. 
The likes Barry, Kessler and the others making it at Villa was against all odds. I think we are now realising  they wont be good enough, but time is still on their side.
There is no shame in not being good enough for us as they will still have good careers in Football and earn lots of money. 

Edited by messi11
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Still hasnt lost his ability at one on ones i see. I really hope he is just having a " bad" couple of seasons as he turns from boy to man. That kid scored goals for fun for the first 17 years of his life and then its just stopped for him. A bit like Rhian Brewster. 

I don't think he's been playing that badly overall, just not been scoring the goals, having a similar loan that Ramsey had with Cheltenham last season, might not be particularly exciting but the game time probably doing him good.

Also I've noticed a pattern whereby most of our loanees that do well do so when they're with clubs challening near the top of the table for promotion, whereas our loan players that go to clubs that are struggling tend not to standout as much, and some of our loan players have been in both situations where they've seemingly been average at struggling teams but then excelled at teams doing better.

If you look at Kesler-Hayden and Aaron Ramsey for example I'm convinced if you put Ramsey in the Huddersfield team and Kesler-Hayden in the Norwich team then we would be looking upon those two players and their loans differently at the moment and by the same token if Barry was playing for a better team than MK Dons I'm sure he'd be having a better season in terms of his attacking output.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, useless said:

I don't think he's been playing that badly overall, just not been scoring the goals, having a similar loan that Ramsey had with Cheltenham last season, might not be particularly exciting but the game time probably doing him good.

Also I've noticed a pattern whereby most of our loanees that do well do so when they're with clubs challening near the top of the table for promotion, whereas our loan players that go to clubs that are struggling tend not to standout as much, and some of our loan players have been in both situations where they've seemingly been average at struggling teams but then excelled at teams doing better.

If you look at Kesler-Hayden and Aaron Ramsey for example I'm convinced if you put Ramsey in the Huddersfield team and Kesler-Hayden in the Norwich team then we would be looking upon those two players and their loans differently at the moment and by the same token if Barry was playing for a better team than MK Dons I'm sure he'd be having a better season in terms of his attacking output.

Good points. I guess alot of our youth have been used to winning most of their games since childhood. Its how they deal with the other side of the game that will ultimately make or break them. For Kesler to get left out of the squad for 2 months whilst fit must have hurt him like mad. But he still made it back to being a starter yesterday , albeit in an injury hit squad.  

Great taken goal! Its difficult to comment on his progress without actually watching him play. But we shouldn't just judge by the stats.  Its better for him to quietly develop now the attention isn't on him. He could develop with age to be a great player still.

Look at Harry Kane and Ivan Toney loan moves earlier on in their career for example. They didn't set the world on fire but eventually became top PL players.

image.png

image.png

2 hours ago, useless said:

Players tend to play better when they have better players around them.

Can’t rely on that though, we’re not exactly challenging for the title and if we were, it would be extremely hard for them to get into our starting 11. Our players need to be able to perform even when they’re not playing for a top team in the division.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

23 minutes ago, useless said:

Got an assist just before half-time in MK Dons game against Barnsley. I think that's three assists and a goal in his last six league appearances now.

Still only 19 and closer to 18 than he is to 20. Plus has more growing up to do physically too. 

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Still only 19 and closer to 18 than he is to 20. Plus has more growing up to do physically too. 

My biggest concern with him is what position and role he will nail down

To me he's the left sided attacker in a 3, he's a modern Liverpool esque attacker not a traditional 9 or 11, will score goals with good runs to the back post

Easier to use him wrong than right

Â