Tom13

I still think he'll be alright.

He did fine at Swindon so get him in the right environment and he can thrive. Not saying he's going to be anything like him but how many loan spells did Kane have?

The Liverpool goal was very exciting and an ice cool finish. I do remember after that loads saying he should be involved in first team squad and be coming off the bench in prem games. Given those demands were two years ago that I think it was a touch premature although we do have Kaden Young on the bench currently of course but that's just to gain experience and lack of attacking numbers.

Perhaps he'll go back abroad again at some point. I keep on saying it but it really would be useful for us to get a feeder club up and running somewhere in the world where likes of Barry could get a season playing in conditions cultivated by us.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm tired of telling people that the overhyped ones usually end up falling down the Leagues.

The quiet scrappers who just work hard, persevere and go under the radar, like Iroegbunam, JJ and so on, usually make it.

It's always easy tearing it up against other kids, but a totally different thing at the highest levels.

Never got the point with Louie Barry, the lad is too small unless exceptionally gifted it just isn't going to happen for them at a club like Villa.

43 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Never got the point with Louie Barry, the lad is too small unless exceptionally gifted it just isn't going to happen for them at a club like Villa.

He's actually two inches  taller than Messi 

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He did fine at Swindon so get him in the right environment and he can thrive. Not saying he's going to be anything like him but how many loan spells did Kane have?

The Liverpool goal was very exciting and an ice cool finish. I do remember after that loads saying he should be involved in first team squad and be coming off the bench in prem games. Given those demands were two years ago that I think it was a touch premature although we do have Kaden Young on the bench currently of course but that's just to gain experience and lack of attacking numbers.

Perhaps he'll go back abroad again at some point. I keep on saying it but it really would be useful for us to get a feeder club up and running somewhere in the world where likes of Barry could get a season playing in conditions cultivated by us.

According to wikipedia, 4. But I did some research on harry kane’s loan spells before and I think its actually a poor example for a player that struggled at his younger years.

Firstly, he had 1 loan at league 1 level, 3 at championship level so already a higher level than barry is.

Secondly, And its not like he kept failing his loans and kept being loaned out because of it, he succeeded at his first 2 loans. Its only the last 2 that were a bit iffy and one of those he was injured almost the entire way.

Lastly, he did all these loans before he even turned 20 years old. Whilst Barry is currently struggling near the bottom of league 1, at that exact same age Kane was part of the leicester squad that played against watford in that famous playoff semi-final. A year before that he had already had a successful spell with millwall in the championship, even winnkng their young player of the year award.

so yeah, kane really is not a good example of someone making it despite having a disappointing start.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

According to wikipedia, 4. But I did some research on harry kane’s loan spells before and I think its actually a poor example for a player that struggled at his younger years.

Firstly, he had 1 loan at league 1 level, 3 at championship level so already a higher level than barry is.

Secondly, And its not like he kept failing his loans and kept being loaned out because of it, he succeeded at his first 2 loans. Its only the last 2 that were a bit iffy and one of those he was injured almost the entire way.

Lastly, he did all these loans before he even turned 20 years old. Whilst Barry is currently struggling near the bottom of league 1, at that exact same age Kane was part of the leicester squad that played against watford in that famous playoff final. A year before that he had already had a successful spell with millwall in the championship, even winnkng their young player of the year award.

so yeah, kane really is not a good example of someone making it despite having a disappointing start.

I'd sound out championship clubs for a loan if he cant get one I'd get rid.

5 hours ago, paul514 said:

What's this 'get rid' business? He has another year on his Villa contract after this season and I doubt anybody is going to be offering cash money for him, so he will be going on loan for another year no matter what. Of course it would be great if he went to a Championship club and succeeded, but I'm skeptical that any will be interested in a striker who has only succeeded at League 2 level before. But we aren't going to be 'getting rid' this summer. 

20 hours ago, useless said:

Something I've wondered of late is maybe that playing through the middle would suit him better at first team level, for U21s he would play out on the left and get a lot of goals by cutting in from the left by dribbling past players and then shooting, playing like that not as easy to do at first team level for any player.

Might be better off finding him a team that use him in the same way that we used him against Liverpool, even it means him having to drop down a level, or going to team that aren't going to give him as many minutes, but when they do will use him in a postion that might better suits him.

There's part of me that wonders if we would just be better off recalling him and giving him half a season with our U21s get him some goal scoring confidence back, he probably have a better chance of getting a good loan next season  by doing that than he would by staying at MK Dons.

Guess it depends if his confidence is suffering or if he's learning from where he's playing now. 

If he's enjoying it, and learning what works and what doesn't for a player his size, it is probably better than playing against players his own age and learning nothing. 

Has been said many a time but he needs his transition to a man to happen before he's ready for PL or even Championship football. Late growth spurt or intense workout plan over the summer or something.  Doesn't need to be Adama Traoré levels of built, but he does need to be able to hold off a player. The ability is there, just have to see if the drive is too. 

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

What's this 'get rid' business? He has another year on his Villa contract after this season and I doubt anybody is going to be offering cash money for him, so he will be going on loan for another year no matter what. Of course it would be great if he went to a Championship club and succeeded, but I'm skeptical that any will be interested in a striker who has only succeeded at League 2 level before. But we aren't going to be 'getting rid' this summer. 

What’s this get rid business? It’s called selling him.

if no one is paying a fee, then he can go on a free.

if he can’t get a championship loan deal there is no point to him being here.

41 minutes ago, paul514 said:

What’s this get rid business? It’s called selling him.

if no one is paying a fee, then he can go on a free.

if he can’t get a championship loan deal there is no point to him being here.

Okay, well you're entitled to that opinion, but it's not going to happen, so 🤷‍♂️

31 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Okay, well you're entitled to that opinion, but it's not going to happen, so 🤷‍♂️

Well my point is I don't know why that shouldn't happen.

If a player can't get a move and then make it in the championship then he will never make it here.

That means even if you can't get a fee for him, then sell him on a free to get rid of some of his wages, it's a net benefit.

He's costing us an absolute pittance, and it's not beyond the realms of possibility he still makes it, even if not at our level. Seems no reason not to keep him on for another 2-3 years and see what value we can get from him

• Like 2

11 hours ago, paul514 said:

Championship clubs aren't interested in loaning academy players. The likes of Mason Mount or Abraham or Tomori were premier league standard players when they went on loan. Even the Man United guy on loan at Sunderland is considered to be good enough for United's first team. MK Dons is as high a level a player like Barry will get a club to take him on loan.

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

Well my point is I don't know why that shouldn't happen.

If a player can't get a move and then make it in the championship then he will never make it here.

That means even if you can't get a fee for him, then sell him on a free to get rid of some of his wages, it's a net benefit.

His wages :crylaugh:He's on next to nothing mate. 

There's absolutely no point. He costs basically nothing, he doesn't take a squad place, and there's some chance - maybe small, maybe even tiny, but definitely more than 0% - that he becomes good or at least worth money. 

It's also important for the future of our academy that we don't get a reputation for mistreating youngsters or bailing on our commitments to them. There's no advantage to what you're suggesting and several disadvantages; that's why we don't do this. 

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

His wages :crylaugh:He's on next to nothing mate. 

There's absolutely no point. He costs basically nothing, he doesn't take a squad place, and there's some chance - maybe small, maybe even tiny, but definitely more than 0% - that he becomes good or at least worth money. 

It's also important for the future of our academy that we don't get a reputation for mistreating youngsters or bailing on our commitments to them. There's no advantage to what you're suggesting and several disadvantages; that's why we don't do this. 

How do you know his wages are nothing? he was signed for a few million quid 

15 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Doesn't Emery own a club in Spain?  Not sure how good they are or what division they are in.

Â