Match Thread: Burnley v Villa

limpid

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

I wonder if it's us being good or Burnley being in atrocious form. Probably something in between.

Best game i've seen from Wes. Fair play. Jack superb.

This is the most positive post I've ever seen from you. Keep it up :)

I was pleased Smith switched to the back 3 so I'm delighted that the players have adapted to it so well. Best first half performance since United probably. 

All I'm praying for now is we don't have a classic Villa where we're shit in the second half and we bottle it. Just control the game and see it through. 

Same attitude, desire and application in the second half please.

Avoid giving away cheap free kicks on the edge of the box against this lot please and do not let that mug Jay Rodriguez score when he comes on!

UTV - come on we can do this.

Edited by Brumstopdogs

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I wonder if it's us being good or Burnley being in atrocious form. Probably something in between.

Best game i've seen from Wes. Fair play. Jack superb.

I suspect Burnley have been caught off guard by Dean Smith playing a back 3, and just weren't at all prepared for it.

This is what I was saying in the Dean Smith thread - it's not that there's anything wrong with 4-3-3, but if you play it every week, teams will build a gameplan for it. You have to mix it up. Today we've caught Burnley completely by surprise.

What I will say is that second half, they will come at us with a plan. Dyche isn't a mug. Probably need another goal to put it to bed.

(Edit: also, Burnley play with a front 2, and the back three means we can mark both their strikers and still have a man spare. That's why we aren't getting bullied in the box like we did last time.)

Edited by KentVillan

I like this new formation a lot. And it helps that the players have started fighting for every ball and every space on the pitch.

And Grealish is just immense. And now he has started attacking the spaces to win headers in the box! He is getting better for every month.

I really don't care if VAR goes against us or it helps us. It is terrible that they are checking for marginal offsides and hands. You (almost) stop celebrating the goals because you know someone in a stupis VAR room will see if they found something to put the finger on before the goal! Crap. VAR will make English football less attractive for tv viewers.

4 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

This formation is perfect for our squad.

Mings is a genuine sweeper, and sitting back there he can boss the whole team around.

Konsa and Hause both have gas and aren't too bad on the ball, so they can drive forwards with Mings covering.

Nakamba and Luiz with 3 CBs behind them can push a bit higher and play more like CMs than holding midfielders.

Wesley is getting more players running past him, so his "false 9" act looks a bit more sensible.

Even Neil Taylor is looking quite good.

This system with Targett instead of Taylor, i think we have a winner!

• Like 2

The formation we have been crying out for for the last 10 games.

Maybe not the players we wanted in the formation however clearly heading and tackling have been trained this week as completely different attitude even the shoulder turners are trying to head and tackle.

2nd half we need to set forward as we dropped towards the end of the half and we dont have the confidence to soak it up.

Mings still looks injured and playing timidly, I would expect barnes to hang on mings to put pressure on him.

We put effort in and stop being cowards and this is what happens, headers have hugely contributed to todays performance, something so basic we have not been doing.

At the moment only some poor touches from wes tress and marvelous if being ultra critical but todays is now the time for us to continue battling.

Bloody Villa. Getting our hopes up again. 

Stop toying with us you cruel bastards! 

Loving the fight and attitude today though. Let's hope it keeps going when I Burnley get their inevitable early reply.