Pre-Match thread (Cup Final 10 of 38)

MaVilla

Chances are Rodri will now miss this game after going off injured last night. Pep has estimated 10 days at the minimum, there's no way he will risk him.

This means Stones will most likely come in at centre back, although he's not fully fit and prone to a clanger.

Normally Pep drops Sterling, KDB or Aguero after a Champions League game; I have a feeling Sterling or KDB will be benched with Sterling off the back of internationals and KDB just back from injury.

The problem is they have strength in depth, so Bernardo, Silva or Mahrez will be in.

It's going to a massive test, but I have faith in the lads and DS.

• Like 1

I’ve really got no idea how this one will play out, but what I do know is that it’s great to be back in the Premier League and have a chance of competing. I’m confident we will do our best to win and not put 10 men behind the ball hoping to nick a point. So whatever happens, I’m happy knowing that. 

Edited by It's Your Round
Typos galore
  • Like 1

For me the main problem to us is that (1) we’re playing the best league champions we’ve probably ever seen, and (2) they know they can’t afford to drop more points. They’ve had two shock defeats already and as we saw from them last season that tends to focus their concentration to very high levels. I won’t be surprised if Pep starts with the same 11 as started last night, I think he’ll look to have this game won by halftime/60mins and then rest players. There’s not really much we can do as a team to change it up to counter them, we just have to have work rate and discipline. If City do have a vulnerability this season then it is at CB. I’m not expecting points from this game but a decent showing really would help with Liverpool next up at Villa Park, we need to be able to take something from positive the game even if its not points. I probably would play Luiz over Hourihane for this game. 

We'll start with the hope.  The only sides City have struggled against this season have been sides who have gone for the jugular.  Norwich and Wolves have caused them problems.  We will definitely be going for them because that's what we do.  It's just hard to see yourself having that level of success against them before the event.

Now for the fear.  The debut of that new eye-AIDS jersey.  Being a team who are that open against a team who should be able to punish it.  Sterling's midweek performance.

I can't see us getting anything.  An entertaining draw is the best I can even envisage.

The worry is a 6-0 dry-bumming.

Prediction is 4-1.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

sure the worst that can happen is that we don't get the three points. I reckon you should all let yourselves enjoy the buildup that comes with playing one of the best teams to have ever graced the premier league. After all isn't that what the Premier League is all about? The big days out?, the potential to beat one of the big boys on their own turf? The chance to show the world that Villa are back and this time they can actually play football!

I think back to the exchange I read about when before the playoff final, a fan told Mings he was bricking it and Tyrone replied asking "Why? I'm not"

Lets have a bit more faith in these boys. 0-1 Villa. McGinn (82)

this is kinda how i feel...except the bit about us winning 1-0...i dont see that at all. but i am just going to enjoy the game and hope we dont get humiliated

Will most likely be 2 losses.

It's important we bite back at Wolves after. Losing can very quickly become a habit.

edit: I see we play Wolves twice in between the games, that is interesting.

Edited by villalad21

44 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Will most likely be 2 losses.

It's important we bite back at Wolves after. Losing can very quickly become a habit.

edit: I see we play Wolves twice in between the games, that is interesting.

We play Wolves in the cup between Citeh and liverpool the after liverpool in the PL Cup games pretty much mean nothing Brighton showed us that.

I too fear the dry bumming!!

Edited by zab6359

Think there's a decent chance KDB gets rested after playing last two, Sterling not so much given lack of competition and how well he seems to be feeding off Mendy being back in the team. Scary to watch last night. Aguero looking really sharp again too. 

5-4 Villa :)

A win will take us within 5 points of the current league champions. ;) It would also be our third successive league win and a draw would stretch our unbeaten run to five PL games.

We last won at the Etihad Stadium in 2012. That League Cup game was all square at 2-2 after 90 minutes, with Barry (o.g) and Gabby our scorers. N'Zogbia and Gabby again, scored during extra time, to give us a fine 4-2 win. Our last league win there was in 2007, when goals from Carew and Maloney gave us a 2-0 win. More alarmingly, Manchester City have scored 3 or more goals in their last six home league games against us.

Overall, we have won 52 and have drawn 39 of the 154 league games, that there have been between the two clubs. This is a free hit in my opinion. After all, even if we were going for the league title, then this would be one of the few games that we might might anticipate losing. That said, Wolves have won there and they are currently below us in the league table. Our hosts have also not quite hit top gear yet either. It would be nice to concede less than 3 goals and score 1 or more ourselves. It would also be nice to give them a bit of a game. It would be even nicer to come away from this one with a point or three..               

• Like 2