Pre-Match thread (Cup Final 10 of 38)

MaVilla

Villa were 26/1 a couple of weeks ago. Such ridiculous odds for a match, I stuck a fiver on.

Probably money down the drain but noticed we are now down to 15/1.

So the bookies are still super-confident that we are going to lose but not as confident as they were :)

Edit: I can cash out for £5.36! 

Edited by Ouchmefoot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, terrytini said:

I agree changes will be limited - he doesn’t change much without good reason.

We won’t necessarily press as we did against Brighton....he certainly changes our approach depending on the opposition. We played very differently against Spurs and Arsenal.

Hope it's more controlled hitting hard on the counter, as somehow I don't see us getting much joy out of a 4-1-5 against Citeh! 

26 minutes ago, Ouchmefoot said:

Villa were 26/1 a couple of weeks ago. Such ridiculous odds for a match, I stuck a fiver on.

So the bookies are still super-confident that we are going to lose but not as confident as they were :)

Rip there arm off 😎

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

I would play Davies to start in this one and bully them a little, Let them know we are there, kick them off the ball a few times and make them look out for were we are

*Davis 🙄😉

4 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Connor needs to start for me. City are a dirty side and we will get set pieces in range of their goal. Set pieces will be an important element of our attack if we are going to get anything from this game.

*Conor 🙄😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Connor needs to start for me. City are a dirty side and we will get set pieces in range of their goal. Set pieces will be an important element of our attack if we are going to get anything from this game.

Funny how people see things differently, I might be wrong and I hope I am, but I doubt we will have that much of the ball that we will be earning loads of free-kicks in dangerous positions.

I like Conor and he has good attributes to his game which we benefit from in certain games, but he's a player that contributes more to the team when we have more possession and on the front-foot, I don't think this will be one of those games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ouchmefoot said:

Wow if you had a time machine you could go back to 1988 and use that 36p for a can of coke and still have some change!

6 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

I would start Luiz over Hourihane myself. I'm a big fan of Conor but Luiz is a better passer of the ball - he has the highest pass completion percentage of the Villa midfield this season at 87.3% according to WhoScored. He also shares Conor's ability of being able to create goals out of nothing. Not only that but there's the intangibles of playing against his old club, he will certainly have a point to prove to Border Force for not giving him a work permit to play there!

In all seriousness, debating whether to start Conor or Luiz is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic - we still don't stand much of a chance of winning regardless of who starts. But it's nice to pretend these decisions will win or lose the game, I suppose...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

I would play Davies to start in this one and bully them a little, Let them know we are there, kick them off the ball a few times and make them look out for were we are

I came here to post this.

I don't think it'll happen, because it may put Wesley into Incredible Sulk mode, and just looking at his '4 in 8' stat makes it look like he's been better than he has. So I imagine Smith with stick with Wesley, stick with the same back 5 and only make changes to either Hourihane or El Ghazi.

But, I feel that Davis showed a lot more in his brief cameo than Wesley did all game against Brighton, and starting him could give their makeshift defence a few extra concerns, with him being an unknown quantity to non Villa fans.

• Like 1

sure the worst that can happen is that we don't get the three points. I reckon you should all let yourselves enjoy the buildup that comes with playing one of the best teams to have ever graced the premier league. After all isn't that what the Premier League is all about? The big days out?, the potential to beat one of the big boys on their own turf? The chance to show the world that Villa are back and this time they can actually play football!

I think back to the exchange I read about when before the playoff final, a fan told Mings he was bricking it and Tyrone replied asking "Why? I'm not"

Lets have a bit more faith in these boys. 0-1 Villa. McGinn (82)

36 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I don't think it'll happen, because it may put Wesley into Incredible Sulk mode

We've seen nothing to suggest that he'll sulk to be honest. If anything he seems to respond to bad situations pretty positively (Everton & Norwich).

I'm personally not a fan of dropping your main striker for a slight tactical tweak. Plus, he'll be up against Rodri and Fernandinho...I think he'll do fine in that regard anyway. Crucially, he does the goal-scoring thing a lot better than Davis and we'll need that.

• Like 3

Not really bothered about this one. We have now shown we can compete and we aren't automatic favourites for going back down, largely by dint of our ambitious approach and the fact we have a goal or two in us most games. Confidence is rising, team identity is forming, so bring it on. Be disappointing if we got spanked, but not unexpected and not the end of the world, far from it. These boys should shrug it off before the next match.