Pre-Match thread (Cup Final 10 of 38)

MaVilla

Free shot this one, just hope we play well and do ourselves proud, any points will be a bonus!

Just dont clam up and and get rolled over, go out there and try to play boys!, their defence can be got at!

• Like 1

I genuinely think we are in for a 5-0 whopping.

If we can't adjust our liberal interpretation of what a  good defense should be, City is going to punish us thoroughly.

I'd consider 4-2-3-1 formation, with Luiz starting instead of Hourihane and playing alongside Marvellous.

I'd start

Heaton

Guilbert---Mings---Engels---Targett

Douglas---Nakamba---McGinn

Trezeguet---Wesley---Grealish

We're just going to have to play it tight and keep the ball away from our area. It's going to be a big game for all the players, but especially the midfield I think. Nakamba will need supporting a lot more than against Brighton, and Wesley will need to keep his spirits up.

I'll say 2-0 Villa with some straightforward defending  :flag:

Image result for hope gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 8pints said:

I'd start

Heaton

Guilbert---Mings---Engels---Targett

Douglas---Nakamba---McGinn

Trezeguet---Wesley---Grealish

We're just going to have to play it tight and keep the ball away from our area. It's going to be a big game for all the players, but especially the midfield I think. Nakamba will need supporting a lot more than against Brighton, and Wesley will need to keep his spirits up.

I'll say 2-0 Villa with some straightforward defending  :flag:

Image result for hope gif

I’d agree with this side, does anyone know if Douglas Luiz can play in this fixture though? If he can’t, I’d put Grealish in the midfield 3 and El Ghazi on the left of the front 3

• Like 2

Technically it's not a loan deal so don't see any reason why he couldn't, I'd start him tbh as we're going to need as many players protecting back 4 as we can get on the pitch while also trying to offer some sort of attacking threat when possible.

Reality is we'll do well to keep conceding below 3. Arsenal scored 3 against us with just 10 men on the pitch and while I don't think generally we've been that bad defensively this season we do tend to concede goals in bunches against the better attacks if you look at 3 in last 15 v Spurs aswell.

Don't think Man. City have been as good as last season but they're still pretty much scoring 2 or 3 every game.

Would say this will be 3-0 loss looking at things realistically.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I'm terrified of Man City and Liverpool.

So was I until I saw today’s game and it’s the first time I’ve watched them away this season.

Not sure if it was because salah was missing or they just had an off day but I was surprised by their performance.  Add that to the fact that if you look at expected goals for and against this season based on chances they are actually massively over achieving. 

I don’t fear Liverpool at home as much as I did.

KDB being back is a shame.

I would really really like to change formation. Doug and Marvelous in front of defence.

We can attack Liverpool the week after. Only way we're taking points v City is to sit back and hit on the break. We'll get a real shoeing if we try and go at City.

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So was I until I saw today’s game and it’s the first time I’ve watched them away this season.

Not sure if it was because salah was missing or they just had an off day but I was surprised by their performance.  Add that to the fact that if you look at expected goals for and against this season based on chances they are actually massively over achieving. 

I don’t fear Liverpool at home as much as I did.

Man Ure played 5-3-2 not allowing Liverpool any spaces.

They completely nullified their fullbacks, Liverpool's main attacking threat. Pretty much a blueprint in how to stop Liverpool.

Don't think we will line up like that.

47 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

They completely nullified their fullbacks, Liverpool's main attacking threat. Pretty much a blueprint in how to stop Liverpool.

Indeed liverpool had to resort to hoofing, fel utd performance was a bit like ours at spurs and arsenal there is only so much time you can suck pressure for

47 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

True but I think we will naturally end up defending most the game against them and hitting them on break. I think that approach suit us. It’s when we have to break teams down we really seem to struggle. 

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s when we have to break teams down we really seem to struggle. 

I'm gonna have to disagree there.

From open play is where most of our goals are coming from. And Jack is a master of unlocking a defence.

• Like 2

As long as we score - which we are more than capable of doing - we can at least hope for a result.

In their last 46 games City have had 25 where the opposition didn’t score. They scored 76, and Won 24, Drew 1 of those games.

In the other 21 games they conceeded  32 goals, Won only 12 and Drew 2, losing 7.

Score, and they are mortal !