Pre-Match thread (Cup Final 10 of 38)

MaVilla

They have just played a European game and will rest key players: it's a good chance for our players to prove themselves against the best team in England.  

First 20 minutes is vital , stop them scoring and get a foot hold in the game , a few chances for us will push them back a bit .

I really think this is an ideal opportunity for us and our star play ......or players. Jack confidence should be high , very high if we can give him a platform by holding them off then I truly believe he can shine in this game . UTV 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Can't believe Wolves beat them at the Etihad. Unbelievable result.

Which goes to show they are beatable.

No point in continually sitting back. Villa must carry a threat going forward and get right in their faces from the off to get anything from the game or a respectable result.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

That's how Wolves got the result though.

Parking the bus and counter.

I basically agree with this, but for this to work we need pace and therefore need to start Trez.  When Wolves won up there, they used Adama to great affect on the break.  Trez is probably our fastest player and could link up well with Jack and Wesley.

Tin hat time, but I also wonder if this is a game for Gilbert and Targett? We can’t have them bombing forward leaving us exposed.   Should Elmo and Taylor/ Hause start, giving us a very defensive, but solid back 4?

Tough one to predict this.  Either we’ll have our pants pulled down and lose by 5 goals or we could do a Wolves.   He’s hoping for the latter.  UTV

Edited by ferguson1

18 minutes ago, BOF said:

That used to be the only definition of world class, until people devalued it to just mean really good.  A bit like how awesome used to mean awe inspiring, but now it means someone opened a bag of crisps.

To be fair word class generally means top 5 in their position. You would say Eden Hazard is world class but he would be behind: Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar and maybe sterling. 

32 minutes ago, BOF said:

That used to be the only definition of world class, until people devalued it to just mean really good.  A bit like how awesome used to mean awe inspiring, but now it means someone opened a bag of crisps.

For me, a world class would be a player who would get into any team in the world - and there can be several of those in one position (I'd wager particularly in the attacking mid/striker areas) - or a goal that would be considered a great goal if anyone had scored it etc. etc.

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Can't believe Wolves beat them at the Etihad. Unbelievable result.

soaked it all up and caught them on the counter, with a speedster ( Traore)

that won't happen very often.

My worry is how effective Man City are when they get between the lines.

We are not particularly cute at stopping that.....I only see one outcome, unless we have a day where we excel at closing down and denying space and its not really our forte.

Edited by TRO

15 hours ago, Enda said:

Need to be defensively solid to have any chance here.

I'd start with five at the back, and two in goal.

or 5 in goal 5 at the back and  1 up front.