January Transfers 2019/20

sne

9 hours ago, jonjon said:

You are not wrong there, The silly prices quoted for Maupay and others were invented/made up by the papers and click bait sites, all transfers are done and marked up as "undisclosed", therefore only the clubs hierarchy know the real price, the public will only know when the clubs 2019/20 accounts are disclosed in 18 months time if anyone can be interested/bothered .

He did have a very good relationship with Dean, and as far as we know Villa wouldn't pay the asking price (undisclosed) Maupay was gutted apparently, but Brighton then jumped in and obviously met our price(again undisclosed) and the lure of the Premiership was too great to turn down, so the deal was done, inwardly Dean must have been gutted, but had to put on a brave face, because he knew how good Maupay was under him. 

He is slowly getting to grips with the Premiership, and does not look overawed by it all,  (good goal against Palace tonight), at his age give him another year or two and I think he will be not unlike Vardy.

We are on a bit of a charge at the moment and will be desperate to hold on to Benrahma, who hasn't scores many, but is providing plenty of assists and causing havoc and panic in the oppositions defence, so hands off him!!!!

I think Dean will keep you up, you have played some good football at times, but not got the rub of the green. 

At Brentford did Smith ever utilise a target man like Wesley or was it more  nimble smaller striker ala Hogan and Maupay?

How king didnit take Smith to fully implement his style? 

15 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Who was our manager when he left? I think I remember them saying he needed to be careful, as other systems might not suit him, and he might not get as many chances etc... In an effort to have him stay, at the time.

Was it Sherwood or Lambert?

It was Lambert.I remember that game well because I was there.

5 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

It was Lambert.I remember that game well because I was there.

No it was definitely Sherwood.  I remember him revealing that Benteke had a release clause in his contract a day or two before the Cup final, the dumb clearing in the woods. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

At Brentford did Smith ever utilise a target man like Wesley or was it more  nimble smaller striker ala Hogan and Maupay?

How long did it take Smith to fully implement his style? 

We have never been blessed with Large target men, Grey, Hogan, Maupay, Jota, Benrahma are all under 6 ft, but effective with the style of on the floor football we now play, rather than hoof it up to large target men, it seems that Dean, when at Brentford prefered small nimble goal getters, that's why I was surprised when he paid a record fee for Wesley (who hasn't exactly pulled up trees) over buying Maupay, (forget about the hearsay on price) but I do wonder, Knowing how much Dean wanted him at Villa, What influence Purslow and Pitarch had over the record signing or other ones? Do you think Maupay would have been a better buy for you?, In Konsa you have a good one there, still prone to a few mistakes, but it was a big step up for him,  he's young and still learning and will only get better.

It didn't take Dean long to implement his own style with us, his main failing was his defensive set up, he seemed very reluctant to make changes, therefore we leaked a lot of silly goals, and that seems to have continued at Villa, our new boss Thomas Frank has changed all that, it took some time, but I think we have got it about right now with a lot stronger defence that have only conceded 17 goals so far, our success so far is down to the fact we break and attack very quickly, knowing that our defence is up to defending should we fail.

He will get it right for you and you will survive, it might only by the skin of your teeth, but you won't come back down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

Great news everyone!

Nicklas "The Lord" Bendtner has been released by FCK Copenhagen and is now a free agent.

Problem solved 

Bildresultat för nicklas bendtner funny gif

He is more of a threat to taxi drivers than opposition goalkeepers

• Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 10:57, briny_ear said:

We pretty rapidly go 1-2 down would be my bet.

I disagree. I'm not saying we hold that lead, but I think we play with more patience and composure.

That makes it harder for Leicester to capitalise on errors in play that lead to costly turnovers, like when Wes played them in.

If you think about it, it was one very clinical and well executed counter attack in transition that gave Leicester the lead and upper hand in the game.

Until then it was Villa asking questions of Leicester's ability to keep us out just as frequently as Leicester knocked on our door.

Grealish played in multiple passes towards the left-side byline and as a consequence a threatening pass was made either across the face of goal or with a cut back.

On 10/12/2019 at 21:12, OxfordVillan said:

I’m afraid that you’re looking through very rose tinted spectacles. Leicester were better than us in every aspect of the game, GK aside. We were fortunate not to end with a 8 or 9-1 defeat. They were quicker, sharper, had far more intensity, more organisation. They smashed us completely on the day because we were poor and they were good. 

In the end, yes, they could have scored more, and were the better team over 90 minutes.

What I'm saying is that once hey score that first goal, which Wes gifted them, momentum shifts and the tactics and dynamic of the match changes.

Say we score the chances we created in the opening 20 minutes of play, I count at least 3 decent scoring opportunities including hitting the woodwork, what then?

Instead of chasing the game against a side that is well versed and full of quality, we play things on our terms, that is if we are capable of doing so, which the jury is out on.

EDIT: Just to add, we averaged 7 players in the attacking half over the 90 minutes, and Leicester averaged 5, for their attacking half.

I think the fact that we go down after 20 minutes instead of taking the lead, meant that with our approach we committed men forward and consequently allowed Leicester to play into space with only a few men and few quality touches or passes in each phase of play.

Edited by A'Villan

41 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I disagree. I'm not saying we hold that lead, but I think we play with more patience and composure.

That makes it harder for Leicester to capitalise on errors in play that lead to costly turnovers, like when Wes played them in.

If you think about it, it was one very clinical and well executed counter attack in transition that gave Leicester the lead and upper hand in the game.

Until then it was Villa asking questions of Leicester's ability to keep us out just as frequently as Leicester knocked on our door.

Grealish played in multiple passes towards the left-side byline and as a consequence a threatening pass was made either across the face of goal or with a cut back.

In the end, yes, they could have scored more, and were the better team over 90 minutes.

What I'm saying is that once hey score that first goal, which Wes gifted them, momentum shifts and the tactics and dynamic of the match changes.

Say we score the chances we created in the opening 20 minutes of play, I count at least 3 decent scoring opportunities including hitting the woodwork, what then?

Instead of chasing the game against a side that is well versed and full of quality, we play things on our terms, that is if we are capable of doing so, which the jury is out on.

EDIT: Just to add, we averaged 7 players in the attacking half over the 90 minutes, and Leicester averaged 5, for their attacking half.

I think the fact that we go down after 20 minutes instead of taking the lead, meant that with our approach we committed men forward and consequently allowed Leicester to play into space with only a few men and few quality touches or passes in each phase of play.

correct.

In boxing, if you throw a load of punches, to no affect........you better be prepared/ready to receive them.

........that is us ,in football.

10 hours ago, wilko154 said:

I watched the Crystal Palace game last night.

I've changed my mind, Benteke is not what we need. 

What the hell happened to him?!

He is not and the topic should be dropped.

He is another version of what we have already.

Even Albion have a better record of acquiring  strikers, lately than us....Jay Rodriguez, Gayle ,Lakaku, Austin.

Tammy is the only bit of Nous we have applied, lately

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Um, considering the amount of times we've gone down after scoring a goal in the first half, I say the odds are we'd probably still lose. I mean, we might not either but its really just pure conjecture. Neither of us really knows what would happen in that scenario so I find arguing for such a hypothetical scenario to be needless, since that scenario didn't happen. You can make these kinds of what if arguments for anything really but at the end of the day, its still all just conjecture and there's a reason we were 1-0 down at that point in the game. Throwing out a what-if argument circumvents all the reasons why we were 1-0 down in the first place and allows you to paint a different picture.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

How king didnit take Smith to fully implement his style? 

If you go for a big man.....He must have heading ability and you need pacy wingers who can cross a ball well.

If you go for a smaller CF, he has to have the ability to work between the lines make runs I.e Vardy or Dean Saunders, Defoe.....you have to have creative players in midfield to play them in....or accurate long balls to run on to.

I am not sure where we are in terms of support players......I think we have a lot of work to do and I am not holding my breath, even if we get a striker.

sorry.

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Um, considering the amount of times we've gone down after scoring a goal in the first half, I say the odds are we'd probably still lose. I mean, we might not either but its really just pure conjecture. Neither of us really knows what would happen in that scenario so I find arguing for such a hypothetical scenario to be needless. You can make these kinds of what if arguments for anything really but at the end of the day, its still all just conjecture.

So is the mentality that we were fortunate not to concede 8 or 9, as stated above.

I think it's important to ask questions of our performances and try to suppose what the outcomes might be had we done something differently.

You're right it's all conjecture but so is Dean Smith's preparation for Liverpool today. He is basing his preparation and approach on partial information.

21 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Um, considering the amount of times we've gone down after scoring a goal in the first half, I say the odds are we'd probably still lose. I mean, we might not either but its really just pure conjecture. Neither of us really knows what would happen in that scenario so I find arguing for such a hypothetical scenario to be needless, since that scenario didn't happen. You can make these kinds of what if arguments for anything really but at the end of the day, its still all just conjecture and there's a reason we were 1-0 down at that point in the game. Throwing out a what-if argument circumvents all the reasons why we were 1-0 down in the first place and allows you to paint a different picture.

yes they are what if's, because its a forum, to present your opinions...conjecture lies on both sides of the debate.

If you want facts, we are on a losing run and look well entrenched in it, judging by the nature of our play.

The essence of the comments is ,between us to come up with, why that is?.....I guess that's because we love the club and want to get back to winning ways.

some of us will be wrong and some of us might be right.....but to just keep playing games and fulfilling fixtures ,hoping for it to come right is equally as boring as people like me and other posters searching for answers.

Edited by TRO

10 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

So is the mentality that we were fortunate not to concede 8 or 9, as stated above.

I think it's important to ask questions of our performances and try to suppose what the outcomes might be had we done something differently.

You're right it's all conjecture but so is Dean Smith's preparation for Liverpool today. He is basing his preparation and approach on partial information.

I think that is fair comment and what forums like this are there for.

• Thanks 1