January Transfers 2019/20

sne

Hypothetical question ... £40 mill plus offer in January for McGinn .. Accept and try and get Phillips and a  Striker. Or reject ? 

We desperately need more quality in the squad and sacrificing one to get two is our new model. I wouldn’t risk it myself. 

I wouldn't sell McGinn he's still one of our best players, just going through a bad spell at the moment. Also we'd have no chance of signing Phillips, he's just signed a new contract, and Leeds are ten points clear of the team in third place, so look almost certain to be get promoted this time, some might even say they look more likely to be in the premier league next season than we do, so he's not going to swap the team he supports who look almost certain for promotion, for a team that looks like it has a very good chance of going down.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Hypothetical question ... £40 mill plus offer in January for McGinn .. Accept and try and get Phillips and a  Striker. Or reject ? 

We desperately need more quality in the squad and sacrificing one to get two is our new model. I wouldn’t risk it myself. 

I wouldn’t sell Mcginn, especially in Jan. I would look to get another creative cm in to play alongside him, maybe Eze from QPR? Tbh I would also like us to go for Bowen and Morelos. I think if we could get them 3 it would completely transform the team and give us creativity (which atm is only coming from Jack) and goals. 

On 09/12/2019 at 09:51, lexicon said:

We've got work rate already - we need class/quality to play the killer pass or take up a great position. I think he'd be a great signing. 

you think we've got work rate?........ok

if ball watching is work rate, then yes we have it in abundance.

• Like 1

We need to take a long hard look at the Midfield......we all know we need a front man.

Every club wants more creativity.....we need the ball first, we can't get the ball anywhere near enough.

We need a ball winner.....not by name, by deed......McGinn's form has gone on holiday and he was the only one to win it, once upon a time.

Nakamba and Luiz......do not win the ball enough.

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

At this point would be tempted to accept it, but no way are we getting Phillips from Leeds.

He is a local lad and the reason he stayed was to come up with them no?

They seem to be on course for that, and he is an integral part of that.

Don't see them imploding again.

If we could get Phillips for something around £20m then I’d take £40m+ for McGinn in a heartbeat. Phillips is exactly the type of physical CM that we are crying out for, and we’d have money left to go towards a frontman that we also desperately need. I do wonder if McGinn has been unsettled by the ManUtd talk that won’t go away? Phillips & Mitrovic for a McGinn is something that I think would be very good for AVFC at this point in time. 

I think SJM had an absolutely brilliant start to his PL campaign but I really do think he over achieved in that first couple of games, I don't think he is the player a lot of Villa fans think he is, if someone was to offer North of £25 Mil i'd drive him to the medical.

Just have to add Phillips will never be a Villa player!

Edited by zab6359

So if we summarize where we are weak. Would be be a fair assessment to say we need a striker, winger and a fullback (the latter who can ideally cover both sides). I guess we can argue the need of another high quality battling CM? 

So what will we actually adress in January? 

• Like 1

Said it many times before and was told in the summer we were interested before his injury which he has just returned from Jean-Phillipe Mateta is a name I’d pursue . Looks like everything we expected Wesley to be but actually good . 

5 hours ago, thabucks said:

Are you having a laugh? £40m for McGinn is twice what he is worth. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't sell him for £50m now, and I doubt the club would either. He's still one of our best three or four players and if we're to have any chance of staying up we're going to need him back on form, which I'm sure he will be with time, it's not as if he hasn't already shown that he can do it at this level it wasn't many games ago that a lot of people were saying that he's better than Grealish.

• Like 2