January Transfers 2019/20

sne

4 hours ago, useless said:

Pedro has said that he wants to go back to Barcelona, he might not get that wish, but looks like he has higher ambitions than joining a club in a relegation battle.

Bacuna wanted to go to the Champions League.....

so....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jonjon said:

Thank you, I thought as much as it seems strange he can't get into the Preston team, Alex Neil obviously agrees as well, hopefully we will avoid that one!!!

I think you underestimate how good you lot are at developing players. Andre Green seems like just the kind of value buy you are famous for. I mean that as a compliment.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

5 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I think you underestimate how good you lot are at developing players. Andre Green seems like just the kind of value buy you are famous for. I mean that as a compliment.

I know that we develop players year in year out to a high standard, hence we sell on for a good profit, our problem is a small revenue from a small ground, we have to survive by selling our best developed players, but at some time that must stop if we we are to make the Premiership, hopefully moving to our new stadium next season will help our revenue stream.

Regards Andre Green, he does seem like a player who would fit our mould, and it looks good on paper, but if we lose a forward in January we need a player who is match fit and can hit the ground running if we are to maintain and keep our current position, all he's done at Preston is bench warm and had hardly any matches under his belt, I wonder why?

How do you Villa supporters rate him and could he do a job for us?

• Like 1

@jonjon I had really high hopes for Green but then he just seemed to hit a wall confidence wise and be unwilling to take anyone on.

I still think he’ll have a decent career but god knows at what level. I agree that he’s not ready to go straight into your team with you chasing promotion.

Green would be an astute signing for someone on a free or at a cut price, this idea that he isn't very good because he can't get into the Preston team is too simplistic a way of looking at it, sometimes players just don't suit certain managers, even the Preston fans rate him and are confused as to why he hasn't had more game time or why they loaned him in in the first place, it's also worth bearing in mind that they have some decent players who play in his position. They're not world beaters, but I remember the way people wrote off some of our other academy products like the likes of Enda Stevens, Hogg, Albrighton, Bannan, Robinson, Johnson and others as not being good enough for us, but over the last five or so seasons they would have all been useful players for us to have had in our squads at various stages, even now if you were to attempt to buy that lot it would cost tens of millions.

Rather than just letting Green go for free, or next to nothing, we'd be better off giving him a contract and loaning him to another club who will play him, then I'm certain that he will perform well enough that we'd get more money for him, or well enough to get back into our team, especially if the dreaded spectre of relegation visits our door once again.

2 hours ago, jonjon said:

I know that we develop players year in year out to a high standard, hence we sell on for a good profit, our problem is a small revenue from a small ground, we have to survive by selling our best developed players, but at some time that must stop if we we are to make the Premiership, hopefully moving to our new stadium next season will help our revenue stream.

Regards Andre Green, he does seem like a player who would fit our mould, and it looks good on paper, but if we lose a forward in January we need a player who is match fit and can hit the ground running if we are to maintain and keep our current position, all he's done at Preston is bench warm and had hardly any matches under his belt, I wonder why?

How do you Villa supporters rate him and could he do a job for us?

He definitely isn't an instant fix. He has all the attributes of a good winger or striker it is just he had a lot of injuries that really hurt his confidence so now he is quite hesitant to try and beat his man. I think if you are getting him he is definitely one for next season where your training staff can help him get his feet back under him.

However I do think he is good enough as a player in the championship but he would need an extended run if games to get going. 

18 hours ago, jonjon said:

Thank you, I thought as much as it seems strange he can't get into the Preston team, Alex Neil obviously agrees as well, hopefully we will avoid that one!!!

TBH if you got him for peanuts he would be well worth it.  He has the raw ingredients.

37 minutes ago, useless said:

Rather than just letting Green go for free, or next to nothing, we'd be better off giving him a contract and loaning him to another club who will play him, then I'm certain that he will perform well enough that we'd get more money for him, or well enough to get back into our team, especially if the dreaded spectre of relegation visits our door once again.

That counts us out then as we don't do loans, our management policy is "why should we develop another clubs player"  we have a good B team set up that is a pathway to the 1st team.

Dean will keep you in the Premiership, it might be a close call, but he's Villa through and through and he won't let it happen, besides there are worse teams behind you.

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

4 keepers is just way too many.

Smith really need to decide who our 2nd choice keeper is and sell the other 2.

I feel so bad for Kalinic and Nyland. They have to go somewhere else to get regular gametime.

I wake up in the middle of the night thinking the same thing too...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

4 keepers is just way too many.

Smith really need to decide who our 2nd choice keeper is and sell the other 2.

I feel so bad for Kalinic and Nyland. They have to go somewhere else to get regular gametime.

I agree 4 seniors seem excessive, but didn't Heaton's injury just prove we need 3 available? 

• Like 1

Nothing against him but I hope we can sell Kalinic in January.

He'll want minutes to try and get into the Croatia Euro squad and we can't have 4 senior keepers taking up places in the 25 man squad and costing money.

• Like 1