January Transfers 2019/20

sne

6 hours ago, TRO said:

you think we've got work rate?........ok

if ball watching is work rate, then yes we have it in abundance.

You're quoting me from a week ago after the last one? Bit harsh! Had work rate from Nakamba, should have had it from McGinn but didn't and Lansbury has never offered us that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Thanks, I’d take him on loan definitely, would you? They probably wouldn’t let him go though

He'd be an upgrade but he wouldn't be my first choice. Doubt Plop are looking to loan him out as well.

Just to add I have no set choice on who we should get since I've no idea what money we have available.

3 minutes ago, sne said:

He'd be an upgrade but he wouldn't be my first choice. Doubt Plop are looking to loan him out as well.

Just to add I have no set choice on who we should get since I've no idea what money we have available.

Me neither, I don’t think anyone on here has an idea about funds, just have to wait and see 

9 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

I agree McGinn has been playing poorly, but those of you ready to sell him are overreacting. He looks like somebody who needs a week off. He's played every minute of every match.

I don't think tiredness is the issue with Mcginn though. Its an obvious thing to explain his loss of form but I really don't think its as simple as that.

Also, would I sell Mcginn for 50 million? Yes, definitely. Probably would've said yes even back in the summer.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

5 hours ago, VillaHatesMe said:

I agree McGinn has been playing poorly, but those of you ready to sell him are overreacting. He looks like somebody who needs a week off. He's played every minute of every match.

Players regularly do play a lot and it's only half-way through December - fitness should not be an issue. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Players regularly do play a lot and it's only half-way through December - fitness should not be an issue. 

McGinn has played in 19 games for a combined 1600 minutes so far.

Just have to look at the Wolves midfielders. Neves has played in 27 games for almost 2000 minutes while 33 y.o Moutinho has played just under 2400 minutes over 27 games.

Those 2 might play a less high intensity game than McGinn but Adama Traore has played just under 2000 minutes over 26 games.

Should add that international games are not included.

• Like 1

I would honestly get Benteke back in.

Loan till the end of the season paying his wages in full with an option to buy him in the Summer for a set fee (5-10 million). It's risk free (money wise) and he has all the attributes that Wesley is currently missing; it also has the potential to work out and obtain a striker for a low fee in the Summer. He knows the club, and the fans will be onside from day one.

Second signing then needs to a winger/wide player. Saving money on Benteke means we can splash a bit, Benrahma, Bowen or a European unknown scouted by our team.

Third signing if at all possible can then be another striker. But with Benteke, Wesley and Davis we should be able to get by until the end of the season and then ensure we go for the right man for big money this time around. If Mitrovic is available at a reasonable fee in January I would go for it, then allowing Davis a 6 month loan.

Sell Kodjia, Lansbury and Kalinic if at all possible.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I would honestly get Benteke back in.

Loan till the end of the season paying his wages in full with an option to buy him in the Summer for a set fee (5-10 million). It's risk free (money wise) and he has all the attributes that Wesley is currently missing; it also has the potential to work out and obtain a striker for a low fee in the Summer. He knows the club, and the fans will be onside from day one.

Second signing then needs to a winger/wide player. Saving money on Benteke means we can splash a bit, Benrahma, Bowen or a European unknown scouted by our team.

Third signing if at all possible can then be another striker. But with Benteke, Wesley and Davis we should be able to get by until the end of the season and then ensure we go for the right man for big money this time around. If Mitrovic is available at a reasonable fee in January I would go for it, then allowing Davis a 6 month loan.

Sell Kodjia, Lansbury and Kalinic if at all possible.

£120.000/ week for a guy who scored 4 in 60.

No thanks.

• Like 4

I struggle to understand why we're never able to move on once a player leaves. We moan and we cry for years after... just accept the fact they didn't want to be here and get over it. Shit happens. Benteke was a great player back in the day, but he's utter garbage nowadays. Re-signing players almost never works out anyway.

We need to persist with our "young and hungry" approach in regard to new signings. Some will fail, some will not, such is life.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I struggle to understand why we're never able to move on once a player leaves. We moan and we cry for years after... just accept the fact they didn't want to be here and get over it. Shit happens. Benteke was a great player back in the day, but he's utter garbage nowadays. Re-signing players almost never works out anyway.

We need to persist with our "young and hungry" approach in regard to new signings. Some will fail, some will not, such is life.

Working really well at the moment.

If we have a lot of money to spend then great, lets spend it. But it doesn't sound as though we do, so we are going to have to be clever in January to fill the positions we need.

Benteke is the last player we should sign, let's be honest here.
He is exactly what we don't need,. Severely lacking mobility nowadays, effort, belief and seems quite happy to wind his career down.

I am not against signing a short term fix, in fact I think that is what we desperately require right now. There is a time and a place for developing talent and assets, this isn't it. We need someone who has been there, done it, and will come in and have an immediate impact.

Saying that, Benteke is not that man.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Working really well at the moment.

If we have a lot of money to spend then great, lets spend it. But it doesn't sound as though we do, so we are going to have to be clever in January to fill the positions we need.

Do we not have filthy rich new owners?

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

Have to add in the six Scotland games aswell, likes of Robertson and McTominay have missed games this season so he's the only major Scottish player to have played them all I think.

He's certainly been off colour last few weeks. He'll come again and we'll need him to.

28 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Benteke is the last player we should sign, let's be honest here.
He is exactly what we don't need,. Severely lacking mobility nowadays, effort, belief and seems quite happy to wind his career down.

I am not against signing a short term fix, in fact I think that is what we desperately require right now. There is a time and a place for developing talent and assets, this isn't it. We need someone who has been there, done it, and will come in and have an immediate impact.

Saying that, Benteke is not that man.

Not sure what short term fix is actually available for us in January. Most of us the guys who scored double figures in the PL last year would cost at the very least 30m, most more than that if they were even willing to sell to us in the first place.. Are we really prepared to spunk that kind of money in January? The ones who don't cost that much are old and there's no guarantee they could repeat their form here.

So its not like we have much of a choice. Its Either

1-Spend big money for an established PL striker

2-Go for a formerly prolific striker who is out of the first team in a top PL team.

3-Another moneyball punt on a striker from a foreign or lower league.

None of these options feel that great to me. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp