January Transfers 2019/20

sne

Anybody who is suggesting we re-sign Benteke should watch the first 41 minutes of tonight’s Palace match....    wtf has happened to the big man? He is an absolute shadow of his former self. Pretty sad to see really when you think about how good he was for us.

7 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Anybody who is suggesting we re-sign Benteke should watch the first 41 minutes of tonight’s Palace match....    wtf has happened to the big man? He is an absolute shadow of his former self. Pretty sad to see really when you think about how good he was for us.

Who was our manager when he left? I think I remember them saying he needed to be careful, as other systems might not suit him, and he might not get as many chances etc... In an effort to have him stay, at the time.

Was it Sherwood or Lambert?

Smiths comments are probably to dampen expectations when we go into negotiations - ie we’re not desperate, we’re just fine tuning. Sadly our poor form and league position undermine the “we’re not desperate” line

whatever, I think we will sign a couple of forwards and perhaps a big, strong CM

We need to get Grealish back to a more central midfield position where he doesn’t have to wait for the ball

We made a big error signing Wesley and not signing Maupay - I anticipate that we will bring in a starting striker this time. 

I hope we bring in a Beharama or Bowen too

id like to see us act quickly and decisively and get them in ASAP so they can have most effect

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Who was our manager when he left? I think I remember them saying he needed to be careful, as other systems might not suit him, and he might not get as many chances etc... In an effort to have him stay, at the time.

Was it Sherwood or Lambert?

Thought it was Sherwood?

10 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Hopefully that puts an end to anyone craving the return of a striker who's worse than Wesley. 

Who Benteke?!

Goodness me, there isn't a striker in the league worse than Wesley. If there is I haven't seen him this season. Wes can't control or kick a ball, fail to see how someone could be worse.

What a finish Maupay. Be so nice to have a striker with even a feather of danger to their game.

• Like 2

Are people going to go on about Maupay every time he scores a goal¿ You could say we should have signed any player that's doing well, why didn't we sign Harry Wilson, or Mouset, what's so fascinating about Maupay. There were probably other players that we were going to sign but didn't and they aren't doing very well.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, useless said:

Are people going to go on about Maupay every time he scores a goal¿ You could say we should have signed any player that's doing well, why didn't we sign Harry Wilson, or Mouset, what's so fascinating about Maupay. There were probably other players that we were going to sign but didn't and they aren't doing very well.

We were never interested in Mousset or Wilson, or if we were I don't think the manager confirmed it.

Maupay particularly stings because Smith spoke about him. He confirmed we wanted him but the club decided he cost too much.

Bearing in mind we spent more on a player we won't be able to sell for half what we paid, it's annoying.

I imagine Maupay will get spoken about until we get a striker who can play football in the team yes. He'll definitely be one that will be brought up if go down. He'll definitely be one that will be brought up if the same recruitment team is buying expensive players in the summer.

47 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Man I wish we had signed him.  We definitely cocked up there didnt we?

I can only think it came down to wages, agents fees or something else. Or were they taking the piss with the price to us, but ended up selling him to Brighton for less in actuality?

By all accounts him and Deano have a great relationship and surely he rates him highly.

Remember in the summer with everyone knowing we had rich new owners they were all trying to go a number on us.

The ridiculous fees we were quoted for the likes of Webster and they ended up going for much less?

Thing is we really don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

There will be many players that we've wanted but haven't signed because of financial reasons. Maupay has only scored three more goals than Wesley, and there's no guarantee that if we'd have signed him he'd have scored as many goals for us. The way people are going you'd think he was tearing the league apart with his displays, him doing slightly better than Wesley is no reason to mourn us not signing him.

2 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Should have listened to more Public Enemy. 

50 minutes ago, useless said:

There will be many players that we've wanted but haven't signed because of financial reasons. Maupay has only scored three more goals than Wesley, and there's no guarantee that if we'd have signed him he'd have scored as many goals for us. The way people are going you'd think he was tearing the league apart with his displays, him doing slightly better than Wesley is no reason to mourn us not signing him.

Is it okay if we mourn what a terrible player Wesley turned out to be? 

59 minutes ago, useless said:

Maupay is not doing only slightley better than Wesley lol. A 7 goal striker is not doing only slightly better than a 4 goal striker, he's doing almost twice as good and he's been doing it after playing 300 less minutes than him.

Maupay's minutes per goal 180

Wesley's minutes per goal 361.

Literally more than twice as good right now.

Like come on, you can talk about his subjective contribution and all, but goals wise Wesley is leagues behind near every first team PL striker in the league. Its not even debatable anymore, not sure why people still try.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I can only think it came down to wages, agents fees or something else. Or were they taking the piss with the price to us, but ended up selling him to Brighton for less in actuality?

By all accounts him and Deano have a great relationship and surely he rates him highly.

Remember in the summer with everyone knowing we had rich new owners they were all trying to go a number on us.

The ridiculous fees we were quoted for the likes of Webster and they ended up going for much less?

Thing is we really don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

You are not wrong there, The silly prices quoted for Maupay and others were invented/made up by the papers and click bait sites, all transfers are done and marked up as "undisclosed", therefore only the clubs hierarchy know the real price, the public will only know when the clubs 2019/20 accounts are disclosed in 18 months time if anyone can be interested/bothered .

He did have a very good relationship with Dean, and as far as we know Villa wouldn't pay the asking price (undisclosed) Maupay was gutted apparently, but Brighton then jumped in and obviously met our price(again undisclosed) and the lure of the Premiership was too great to turn down, so the deal was done, inwardly Dean must have been gutted, but had to put on a brave face, because he knew how good Maupay was under him. 

He is slowly getting to grips with the Premiership, and does not look overawed by it all,  (good goal against Palace tonight), at his age give him another year or two and I think he will be not unlike Vardy.

We are on a bit of a charge at the moment and will be desperate to hold on to Benrahma, who hasn't scores many, but is providing plenty of assists and causing havoc and panic in the oppositions defence, so hands off him!!!!

I think Dean will keep you up, you have played some good football at times, but not got the rub of the green. 

• Thanks 3